PDA

View Full Version : Gas smell upon start up

prerunner1982
09-21-2011, 09:00 AM
The last couple of days every time I start my Jeep I get a strong gas smell. After a couple of miles it goes away for the remainder of the drive. Last night leaving work I stopped and popped the hood. I did not see anything that was wet enough to jump out at me as a fuel leak. My valve cover gasket is leaking so I do need to clean the engine and try searching again.

I would figure that a fuel leak would smell as long as the engine is running and not just at start up, but I wanted to see what everyone thought. I am figuring it is probably an injector leaking, but want to see if anyone has experienced leaks in other locations.

Thank you.

BlueXJ
09-21-2011, 09:06 AM
My fuel regulator would leak until it got pressure on it. then the gasket would expand and seal it. I could not find the little nylon looking gaskets by themselves so bought a new regulator, which came with gaskets.
Now no more gas smell.
I used to have a old 4.0 which had blowby. Once the filter got soaked it would act as a choke and pull lots of fuel into the airbox. Once the old girl was running you could not smell the fuel, as it was sucked into the air intake.
One of those scenarios may be the origin of the smell.

xj4life2
09-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Get a flashlight and look into the recess where the injectors are, I'd bet you have an leaky injector that seals itself as it gets hot. Easy fix though and the o rings are cheap.

prerunner1982
09-21-2011, 03:14 PM
My fuel regulator would leak until it got pressure on it. then the gasket would expand and seal it.

I think we have a wiener... err winner.

I went to leave for lunch, popped my hood. Cranked her up and sure enough a couple drips from the fuel regulator.

Those little suckers aren't real cheap... will have to wait until payday. Hopefully my Jeep doesn't catch fire between now and then.. :rolleyes:

LizardRunner
09-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Glad to hear you found your leak. those can be at the least worrysome.