PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about quiting....... {smoking}

DETOURS
09-21-2011, 08:49 AM
So, if you've ever smoked and have quit, what was your secret?
While I still like it, it's probably time to give them up.
What worked?
Should I just put a gun to my head now? :sign0181:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/smoking-girl.jpg

BlueXJ
09-21-2011, 08:59 AM
It will be hard to quit but you can do it. I smoke cigars and have since about 1969 but only a couple a week. My wife has smoked since 1966 and quit after several tries with some form of crutch. Finally made up her mind and quit cold turkey. I and several others, admire her for doing it. She says it was the hardest job in her life.
Blue

DETOURS
09-21-2011, 09:04 AM
I managed once years ago......dumb going back.......cold turkey might be best, those patch'es only work if you put them over your mouth.

steph74
09-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Went from smoking a pack a day for 15 years to not smoking in 1 week.... (has been since APRIL).
I went to see the doctor... he prescribed Chantix, I was not wanting to do it just being supportive of the wife that wanted to stop.

Took the pills as directed, and at the same time restricted smocking... meaning taking only 10 cigarettes in the pack, then 5, then 3, then 2..... discarding the ones I did not smoke....
at the end of the week, I was not smoking... took the pill for the rest of the month since it wqas paid for...
Wife stopped at the same time but stopped taking the pill after 10 days because it was affecting her mood...

Never had the secondary effect everybody warned me about...

Mudderoy
09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
What worked?

Yeah you should. I wish my Dad had. I asked him to stop about 10 years before he died of lung cancer. He had a mild heart attack and I guess it scared him so bad he stopped smoking that day, and didn't smoke for the remaining five years of his life. Sad he had that kind of will power but didn't exercise it sooner. I would have loved for him to meet his grand children. Do it for you son.

LizardRunner
09-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Quiting is all about mind set. My wife, Wolf and I are quiting now. We both did it once before and for reasons of stress, started back up. Once you make up your mind that you aren't going to do it any more it is easier to put them down and walk away. For some I know it was a matter of looking at the financial drain they are. For me it is more about not liking it anylonger and so time to just put them down and walk away. That first two week stretch will be the killer but we will just have to not take our craving angers out on each other. good thing I have the jeep to work on and flutes and guitars to build. Those activites will keep me busy and I've noticed that when I'm busy, I don't think about smoking. Good luck to you in your quest to quit and I'm here more again so if you need to talk about it or anything else, holler at me.

prerunner1982
09-21-2011, 09:14 AM
If my 80 year old grandmother can quit cold turkey and stay that way.. so can you.

DETOURS
09-21-2011, 09:27 AM
If my 80 year old grandmother can quit cold turkey and stay that way.. so can you.

You're right!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/grandmother1.jpg

4.3LXJ
09-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Mark

I helped a number of people quit. The first thing is that you have to want to. Not because someone said you have to, but because you like yourself enough to want the best for yourself. If you don't, you never will. Once you are there, you will succeed. Then there are some other tricks. About half of smoking is addiction, the other half is habit. For instance smoking if you drink beer, or after eating, or when you sit in your favorite chair etc. That part of it you can beat just by changing what you normally do until you have quit. The rest is addiction. Your third day will be your worst, after that it is down hill. After five, you will have quit. It helps to not eat spicy foods or use caffein during that time.

ageent.007
09-21-2011, 09:31 AM
I can't comment from personal experience because I don't smoke...but my dads entire family did constantly growing up so i can speak to what he did.

He actually got one of those fake cigarettes because for him half the battle was having "something to do" plus you still get the nicotine.

Having support and motivation is all you really need though, helps a whole lot. I'm sure me as a kid saying "hey dad I thought you quit for good this time" gave him some extra motivation.

If nothing else do it for the people in your life, they have so much more to loose than you have to gain from smoking.

steph74
09-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Mark

I helped a number of people quit. The first thing is that you have to want to. Not because someone said you have to, but because you like yourself enough to want the best for yourself. If you don't, you never will. Once you are there, you will succeed. Then there are some other tricks. About half of smoking is addiction, the other half is habit. For instance smoking if you drink beer, or after eating, or when you sit in your favorite chair etc. That part of it you can beat just by changing what you normally do until you have quit. The rest is addiction. Your third day will be your worst, after that it is down hill. After five, you will have quit. It helps to not eat spicy foods or use caffein during that time.

yep that is it too... I had to break the habit.... I used to smoke on my way to work, I took a different route.... I used to smoke one on my way to the animal room... I took a different route... I used to smoke one while taking the dogs for a walk... I took different routes as well... Eliminate the routine cigarette is part of the job for sure...

DETOURS
09-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Mark

Just the fact that I'm talking about quiting is a start.....lol...
I agree with everthing said, you need to change your reward system......I did this the one time I did quit and yes, day 5 was good...

All good stuff, thanks everyone....keep it coming!

Now, should I tell the wife I'm quiting.......she to is a smoker, but a light smoker........Hmmmmm, might be more painfull if I tell her.......she's 'not' the supportive type....:headshake:

xj4life2
09-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Well I can say that I currently still smoke , I quit once fora long time then my father passed and well the stress got to me. For me it as like Steve said, change of habbits , the first one in the am is the hardest , then the one after meals. I used tic tacs to stop the hand to mouth addiction , sounds funny but it works. When you want one just pop in a tic tac. The actual craving only lasts 10 secs believe it or not, its been proven medically. Lastly the pack itself .... non smokers dont understand this but i always carried an empty pack with me, theres something about it and it helps.I put my tic tacs in it so I still had the "feeling" . As Most people will tell ya , I will too. If your not mentally ready , it wont work. Good Luck and I really hope you do it !!

bluedragon436
09-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Honestly if she is a smoker I think it will make it even harder for you.. but you can still stop if you want to, which you obviously do and that is a huge start right there.. I would def. not bother to tell your wife about you plan right now.. but I would def. let them know once you have stopped for a few days.. at least that way she won't try and keep tempting you and such if she is not very supportive!

DETOURS
09-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Honestly if she is a smoker I think it will make it even harder for you.. but you can still stop if you want to, which you obviously do and that is a huge start right there.. I would def. not bother to tell your wife about you plan right now.. but I would def. let them know once you have stopped for a few days.. at least that way she won't try and keep tempting you and such if she is not very supportive!

Agree, I did'nt tell her I was getting a girl friend and thats worked out pretty good so far. ;)

DETOURS
09-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Bluedragon.........Just noticed your avatar.......

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/BLUE004.jpg

xjrev10
09-21-2011, 05:44 PM
What about chewing? I've heard it's harder to quit then smoking. I have been chewing almost half my life and I'm 23....

xj4life2
09-21-2011, 07:36 PM
What about chewing? I've heard it's harder to quit then smoking. I have been chewing almost half my life and I'm 23....

I chewed for a while(days work,twist, the real stuff) then a guy came in and half his face was missing from cancer in his jaw, I got up walked to the trash can spit out my chew and threw the rest away and never thought about it again.

LizardRunner
09-21-2011, 08:09 PM
there are no "good for you" tobacco products! However Nicotine is called the perfect drug because it will do for you what your mind wants it to do. In military pilot survival packs there are still (as of 2005) five cigarettes and instructions "now that you have ejected safely and made it to the ground/water and life raft, sit still and smoke a cigarette to calm your self down." of course then you would move on to surviving and avoiding capture till found and rescued. The one thing I know of that tobacco can do that is "good" is that it will draw venom out of your body.

In first people traditions; It is used for passing prayers to the creator and to honor creator and spirits.It is buried along with corn to show committment to the great one and help prayers for a peace. Or burned with cedar and sage as a smudge to attract good spirits to you and clense your spirit. When we smoke from the sacred pipe it is a ritual that is for peace, honor and recognition of the great one and the spirits. No one who has smoked from the sacred pipe would stand and try to harm another that had smoked from that pipe in the council circle. These instances it is like smoking a white mans pipe or cigar, no smoke is drawn into the lungs on purpose. also we use Kinickinic a blend of herbs mixed with some tobacco to keep it lit.

Soon I hope to only be using this type of tobacco for the purposes we were given Kinickinic and the sacred pipe by white buffalo woman for.

4.3LXJ
09-21-2011, 08:39 PM
The thing about tobacco is that nicotine is the most powerfully addictive drug in the world, and it is legal. If you are a 4 pack a day smoker when you quit, you will be a 4 pack a day smoker the first time you light one up again. That is why you have to quit cold turkey. Tapering off leaves you at the same addiction level.

Chip, I have a genuine peace pipe given to my great, great grandfather by the Navaho. It still has the stuff in it that was smoked. It isn't tobacco. Probably local sage brush or something like that.

LizardRunner
09-21-2011, 08:49 PM
yep that would be kinickinic. Mostly or all herbs including white sage. If we are at a large council cirlce and depending on the pipe keeper, there may be a whole ten strands of "tobacco" added to the pouch strictly for the purpose of keeping the pipe lit while it is passed around. Each person will hold the pipe up, mouthpiece to the sky for creator to partake then the person will puff two to three times, then once again offer the mouth piece to creator and only then will it be passed to the next person, who will repeat the same actions. This goes all the way around the circle of men in council. the pipe is sacred to us. it is not stored put together and the two pieces are kept from touching by the way the pipe bag is constructed. The bowl is made of catlinite, mined by hand and fashioned by the person if it is a personal pipe.

4.3LXJ
09-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Yup, catlinite

LizardRunner
09-21-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm still waiting for my piece to be dug for me. has been on order from a special miner for two years now. he got sick and I just have to wait for him to heal.

4.3LXJ
09-21-2011, 09:04 PM
I have a friend with some, he gave me a piece. Not big enough for a pipe, but for other things.

LizardRunner
09-21-2011, 09:07 PM
that's just sweet! it carves nicely with a sharp knife and files and rasps. once your done with the carving you use melted bees wax and a cloth to rub the wax into the outside then polish it with a clean dry cloth. I've seen turtles, buffalo, elk and other totems carved in catlinite.

4.3LXJ
09-21-2011, 11:29 PM
My friend makes pipes for the indians. He uses the oil off his skin instead of bees wax.

cantab27
09-21-2011, 11:43 PM
it shakes i smoke............................................. .kinda a love hate relationship really..

jccatt
09-22-2011, 02:16 AM
I just gave up cold turkey. Gota get it outa ya system so no use getting patches and dtretchong it out.

DETOURS
09-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Yea, cold turkey's going to be the way to go.....
Gave it a test run yesterday......figured since I'm talking about it, why not....
I thought there was some fruit roll-ups or something in the house to help distract me.......but no, all I found was sunflower seeds......they proved to be too much work to open, got frustrated after an hour......it was on a whim, I was unprepared.....I'll be better prepared next time. :mock:

LizardRunner
09-22-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm there with you on going cold turkey. We can go down this path side by side.

XJ4IV
09-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Quitting is good, I quit when I was 14

DETOURS
09-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Quitting is good, I quit when I was 14

LOL........You were smarter than me!! :thumbsup:

jccatt
09-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Drink water and count each day as a win. Go for a walk a.d smell the fresh air. Distractions are good. Good luck, you can do it.

oderdene
09-22-2011, 07:20 PM
I currently still smoke and mentally not ready

4.3LXJ
09-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Hey Mark, when you are ready to pull the trigger, we will all send up the prayers for ya and be supportive in other ways.

DETOURS
09-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Thankyou for the support. ;)

Adrenalinejunky
09-23-2011, 09:11 PM
What worked?

I smoked for a little longer than 11 years and had numerous failed attempts to quit. I concluded that the reason I was not successful was because I did not really want to quit, I just thought I should... I was always a pretty athletic guy but had gone a year or two with very little activity. My buddy asked me to sub on his softball team one night because they did not have enough people to play so I though what the hell, I will help him out. It was my third time at bat and I hit the ball to the fence between left and center. I ran my @$$ off 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and our 3rd base coach said go home so I just kept running until I stomped on the plate about the same time the catcher got the ball in his mit. It took about two minutes for me to even care if I was safe or out because I was over at the fence holding myself up with the worst pain I had ever felt in my chest and coughing with a sore throat and lungs. It was at that time that not only did I think that I should probably quit but I truely wanted to quit as well. I smoked one last marlboro after I got to my car and told my girlfriend that this was going to be my last one ever. It actually hurt to smoke it and I threw it out about half way. I tossed almost new pack on my dash and have not smoked another for 8 years now. I finally made the decision that I really wanted to quit and think that is the most important aspect. You will need support from family and friends and I had to stop drinking beer for a couple of months. It took about five years to stop having the strong urges although I still get one now and then today.

I think you will know when you are ready to give it up and at that time it will be hard but you can do it.

Most people I know who have quit have done it cold turkey.

By the way, I was safe!!!

BrianXJ
09-23-2011, 10:58 PM
My parents taught me to not be a quitter!!!!

bluedragon436
09-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah I smoked for about 8 years.. and one day I just decided I was tired of wasting my money no smokes, and that it wasnt' helping my health out at all.. so I tossed almost a complete carton, minus maybe three cigarettes into the trash can and never looked back..

DETOURS
09-24-2011, 06:10 AM

BWAHAAAHAAAAAAAAA.....:drinking:

bluedragon436
09-24-2011, 07:10 AM

When have you ever done everything your parents wanted or taught you to do??

toebee97
09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I've smoked for 16 years now, and I've been trying to quit for a couple months now. I can usually make it a day or two, but then I bum one from someone like an idiot. Then I tried chewing again, used to do that when I was younger. Now I chew a can of Grizzly every other day and occasionally smoke... WTF. I've tried everything I can think of, gum, mints, you name it. Nothing helps me. I get so wound up I damn near have a panic attack, the wife told me to either start smoking or chewing again or she would leave lol. I think I'm gonna have to try the Chantix, seems like people have pretty good success with it. I don't have a problem taking pills or anything because I'm not weird, and even if I get side effects, oh well because the ends will justify the means I say.

steph74
09-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Tony, you work in a gas station convenience store right ? you probably have a wall of cigarettes and tobacco products behind you... that has to make it more difficult to quit ;)

All I say is Chantix worked for us and even if it has been only 4 months, it was totally worth the $150 investment.... But it is important to do it under medical control because of the effects that are possible

DETOURS
09-26-2011, 02:44 PM
I already live with those side effects possible...........:comfort:

Jamie Lynn
09-27-2011, 01:12 AM
I have been smoking for the past 14 yrs..and yes if you do the math that means I started at 13..( I wasn't a bad kid growing up..just had my dad wrapped around my finger) I have quit a few times during those years..seeing my dad slowly kill himself with his emphysema, watching my grand mother die 6 years ago from cancer..you figure I would have quit completely but..no such luck..I have a plan that by the time I'm the big 30, I will have quit..I've tried the gum, patches and to do it cold turkey..nothing has worked...I'm just gonna have to break down eventually and get the doctor to write me a script out for Chantix and see if that helps..so many ppl I know swears by it..so I guess that is my next option.

LizardRunner
09-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Jamie, mind set is the most important thing. Nothing will work if you aren't already committed in your mind that this is what you want and nothing will stop you from achieving your goal.

4.3LXJ
09-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Yup, do it because you want to, not because you have to. Do it because you are worth it.

toebee97
09-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Tony, you work in a gas station convenience store right ? you probably have a wall of cigarettes and tobacco products behind you... that has to make it more difficult to quit ;)

All I say is Chantix worked for us and even if it has been only 4 months, it was totally worth the $150 investment.... But it is important to do it under medical control because of the effects that are possible
Yes sir, I work in front of the great wall of tobacco lol. Easy access, and I sell it to people that smell like wonderful cigarette smoke all damn day lol. I definitely think the Chantix is gonna be what does it, because I don't seem to have the willpower, or at least the right mindset to do it on my own. I'm at the point where I'm lying to my wife about it, and it makes me sick to my stomach man, makes me feel like some kind of POS drug addict. Part of me wants to just give up and buy a pack again just so I can feel honest, but I know that's not the right answer. I really F-ing hate feeling so powerless because of something as simple as a cigarette.

prcjeep
09-27-2011, 11:22 PM
I smoked for about 4 years.... Then I started dipping when I was offshore cuz I didnt want to leave whatever I was doing to go to smoking areas. I ended up quiting smoking cold turkey by just not buying cigarettes anymore. Only occasion I smoke like a chimney when I drink a lot and there's lots of other smokers but Over all I just dip now. Ive deveolped a pet peeve agaisnt smokers that smell like ashtrays now too lol.
As for dipping, Ive stopped for a couple weeks a couple times but cant rid myself of it yet.

Jamie Lynn
09-28-2011, 02:40 AM
I know, if my mind is set on it I can quit...its a matter of not making excuses, not giving myself the leeway to still smoke cigars and take that dip ever now and again.( yeah, I know..probably shocked a couple of you with that...yes, I love to have a good cigar every now and then and I do on occasion chew.)

Mudderoy
09-29-2011, 10:16 PM
I smoked one time, but I think it was just that I got overly excited. Next time I just slowed down. :male:

cantab27
09-29-2011, 10:47 PM
OK , enlighten me...wtf this chewing thing......

Mudderoy
09-29-2011, 11:01 PM

Further proof that brown should only come out of one end. :mad0029:

jccatt
09-30-2011, 01:01 AM

Chewing tobacco. Spit...ting

cantab27
09-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Chewing tobacco. Spit...ting

yuk man.....Clint Eastwood styles in the old western movies............
whats that stuff taste like ,, skol or something,,,

4.3LXJ
09-30-2011, 11:41 AM
I have never chewed Wayne, but it comes in flavors. Some of it actually smells kind of good. But it is nothing you want to take up. Women really love that brown stuff in your teeth. Also much harder to quit than cigarettes.

Brasscatz
07-08-2012, 06:21 PM
You know what's funny? I was just about to start this exact same thread: "Who has tried to quit, using what, were you successful?" Then I decided to do a quick search and found it was here already!

I've personally tried the gum, cold turkey, and electronic cigarettes. None of which has truly worked because I fear that in my mind, I'm not totally ready to quit. I've been smoking since I was 16... because of peer pressure from an idiot ex-best friend and guess what? I hear he's quit... and I can't. Life is sure funny that way. Starting smoking was the stupidest thing I've ever done and I WISH I could take Matt's neighbor's Delorean and go kick my stupid teenaged-self up and down the street for even considering it. Funny... you have to FORCE yourself to start smoking because it's so horrible tasting and you cough your lungs out. Well.... I sure looked cool doing it though, right? Uh huh.

It's tough being 27 years old now, paying a few hundred dollars a month (that could be going to my Jeep or maybe even bills) and seeing how much my physical abilities have declined. I used to be in GREAT shape. I ran 5 miles a day, marching band, baseball, powerlifting, raquetball, and several other physical activities with such ease. Now, I go out and play in 2 very short softball games last Tuesday, run around the outfield a little bit and I'm winded, sore, and just plain embarrassed.

My Grandfather died from smoking. My grandmother's life would've been lengthened, I'm sure, if she never smoked. I can't help worrying about my own father, who never smoked, will die an early death from being so overweight and unhealthy... How dare me. I am quite ashamed of myself for that. I don't have children yet, but damn it... I want to be around for a loooong time to see grandchildren and great grandchildren.

I need to get my act together ASAP. Oh... another big shame on me.... My wife is a smoker. She could easily quit, but when she sees me walking outside.... it's too difficult for her to resist tagging along. If I'm out of town for a week or so, she doesn't smoke. I'm killing two people.

I forgot to add that I've also tried Wellbutrin. It seemed to take away cravings, but it really jacked with my head and there was a VERY bad month in there. They say it can cause thoughts, and oddly, they're right. I NEVER would've done anything, but it's like a little devil sitting there on your shoulder. I got off that crap quick.

Sneedle Vision
07-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Do you want to end up like this? Especially if I had kids who would see me and be scared I'm sure.

CDC: Tips from Former Smokers - Terrie's Ad - YouTube

Brasscatz
07-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Don't even have to click play to see what that video is. The government is trying "scare tactics" to scare people into quitting smoking by running those ads, putting scary stuff on posters, and now putting stuff like that right on the cigarette packs. People who smoke already know exactly what it does to them. They know why it's bad. They have seen the results. But we still do it. Scare tactics don't work. If they did, NOBODY would ever smoke.

Sneedle Vision
07-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Don't even have to click play to see what that video is. The government is trying "scare tactics" to scare people into quitting smoking by running those ads, putting scary stuff on posters, and now putting stuff like that right on the cigarette packs. People who smoke already know exactly what it does to them. They know why it's bad. They have seen the results. But we still do it. Scare tactics don't work. If they did, NOBODY would ever smoke.

When I wrote "do you want to end up like this?" I didn't mean you in particular. That's my fault. I just meant for anybody who smokes and reads this thread. Apologies.

I agree it won't stop the people who already do smoke. But as a non-smoker, it just kills me to see people doing it. So I just hoped it makes one think even if it doesn't stop the addiction. :thumbsup:

Brasscatz
07-08-2012, 08:18 PM
When I wrote "do you want to end up like this?" I didn't mean you in particular. That's my fault. I just meant for anybody who smokes and reads this thread. Apologies.

I agree it won't stop the people who already do smoke. But as a non-smoker, it just kills me to see people doing it. So I just hoped it makes one think even if it doesn't stop the addiction. :thumbsup:

No worries buddy. I agree, it may help people who don't smoke, not start up. Especially kids. One thing is true... before I started I would always think "why don't you just quit?"... I just didn't understand. I didn't take offense to your post, so no worries ;)

cpttuna
07-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Sept 1991 onthe way back to ohio from Pa. I had just buried my 50 year old brother who had smoked all his life and died of a heart attack. I had 7 Marlboro's left in the pack. I lit up the first one and my wife lit in to me. Smoked all 7 in a short period of time (due to wife) and went cold turkey when we got home. After 4 days, I had no desire for a cigarette.I carried a full pack(for security) in my shirt pocket,but never opened it. I have not had a cigarette since. I wish quitting drinking pop was as easy.

4.3LXJ
07-08-2012, 11:00 PM
My son quit awhile back. He just got tired of it and threw the pack across the room and never touched them again. Says it stinks now lol. What I did not tell him was I had been praying for him. It is the secret weapon.

nickxj94
07-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Boy I need to quit smoking too maybe I have more money to put in my xjs

defibvt
07-09-2012, 12:13 AM
I quit May 31st 2012. I am using the patch but I am down the 7 mg patch. One week to go and I will be nicotine free.

XJ Wheeler
07-09-2012, 11:03 AM
As a non-smoker all i can do is tell you stories of loved ones.

As its told to me my great-grandmother was in the hospital on a breathing machine. A family member brilliantly (not) took her off of it so she could have a smoke. That was her final hour.

My grandfather smoked all his life, then in his 60s had a heart attack. He would quit on and off for a while. Over a few years he suffered through 9 heart attacks and a stroke with technically dying a few times during one heart attack. He passed in 2002 of a heart attack, at least it was in his sleep. And yes, he had went back to smoking before he passed.

My grandmother also smoked all her life till she had an episode with her heart beating way too fast. Then she got a pace maker and quit smoking. She used the gum, but now her downfall cause she chew tons of that.

My mother smoked since she was 11, and a heavy smoker at that (at least two packs a day). I've begged her for years years to quit, but she never would. Even if i mentioned it she immediately got defensive. She tried mostly everything, but as stated, she didn't want to quit. Now she has leukemia, and at first she slowed (mainly do to hospital policies) then when she got out continued to pick back up. But on June 1st she realized smoking might make her treatment harder so she quit. She uses the patch, nicotrol inhaler (spelling?), and the gum. She still has cravings and wants cigarettes around (hidden but accessible). Hope she can keep it up.

Jim, you'll quit one day either way, its up to you if its while its still your decision. You can quit now and enjoy the better health, quit later to survive, or quit the day you die. Your decision.

Brasscatz
07-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Jim, you'll quit one day either way, its up to you if its while its still your decision. You can quit now and enjoy the better health, quit later to survive, or quit the day you die. Your decision.

That's a good way of putting it Jake. And I like the idea of prayer that Steve mentioned. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that's what helped his son and maybe it will help for me too. I won't lie... it is a very difficult task. Even when you make up your mind to quit, it's still not easy for everybody. But what is that old saying? "Nothing in life worth doing is easy"?

4.3LXJ
07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I have another son you don't hear about on here, just a year younger. When he quit I took a different tack, although prayer was included. He had told me that he had heard all the stuff before. But then I told him, here is what they didn't tell you. You do it because you like yourself, and you are worth it. That was his last.

Chaseweston
07-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Cold turkey is the best way. Your biggest, most helpful tool is going to be knowledge. Read up on it. Do some research on exactly what to expect. Know what you will experience and be ready for it. My father quit cold turkey after 30+ years of smoking reds. Cheers.

XJ Rat
07-10-2012, 12:36 PM
I have never smoked, but my entire family did when I was growing up. They all stopped cold turkey.

My Mom stopped when I was 3. We were out and she called me over. I refused to come. Saying, "YOU STINK" in a very loud voice. She was so embarressed that she never touched another cigarette. I also got my rear end tanned that day.

My Dad stopped because the doctor told him, he can either go home and die or let them help. He lived another 13 years after that. Here is some encouragement for quitting. The last month of my Dads life the doctor told him his heart would last another 20 years. But his lungs are through. Smoking his whole life has taken its toll.

My brother smoked cigs, then went to pipes. Then quite. He still has a cigar with a beer about 3 times a year.

Yes, stopping is tough. But your wallet will thank you today, and your body will thank you years down the road.

olds-cool
07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I know a lot of people talk smack about them but have you considered an E-Cig? About mid-January, I picked up a Mistic starter pack at Walmart for about $13. I figured it was worth a shot to see if I would like it. Since buying that kit, I have smoked 2 real cigs, both within the first week. I still use an e-cig but it is a lot healthier than a real one, not that either is healthy but you get the point. Even my doctor agreed. I got into making my own NIC juice and I control the level which means I can lower the level over time. I also made the switch from a cigarette shaped e-cig to a home built mod box which has helped with the cig between the fingers habit. Mixing up different flavors has helped me get away from the cravings for an actual cig. Yes I am still using nicotine but in a much safer form. I have noticed over the last month that cigarettes no longer smell tasty and I have a hard time being around anyone who is smoking. My buddy switched the same time I did and he recently fell off the vaping wagon and went back to cigarettes. I think it has to do with his fiance still smoking around him.

Brasscatz
07-10-2012, 02:59 PM
I know a lot of people talk smack about them but have you considered an E-Cig? About mid-January, I picked up a Mistic starter pack at Walmart for about $13. I figured it was worth a shot to see if I would like it. Since buying that kit, I have smoked 2 real cigs, both within the first week. I still use an e-cig but it is a lot healthier than a real one, not that either is healthy but you get the point. Even my doctor agreed. I got into making my own NIC juice and I control the level which means I can lower the level over time. I also made the switch from a cigarette shaped e-cig to a home built mod box which has helped with the cig between the fingers habit. Mixing up different flavors has helped me get away from the cravings for an actual cig. Yes I am still using nicotine but in a much safer form. I have noticed over the last month that cigarettes no longer smell tasty and I have a hard time being around anyone who is smoking. My buddy switched the same time I did and he recently fell off the vaping wagon and went back to cigarettes. I think it has to do with his fiance still smoking around him.

I've bought 3 different brands. SmokeStik, E-Cigs, and Pure Cigs. They aren't the same as the real thing for sure, but they get the job done. Bad part is, it seems every one I try has had problems like battery quit working, etc. I use them for times when I can't smoke, like if my wife and I drive to Ft. Worth to my see my family over a holiday. But they haven't been my ticket just yet. Walgreens started carrying "NJOY" brand for a decent price. You buy the refills there too. I might have to give that one a try to see if it works better.

nateyz2000
07-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Volcano e-cigs... Amazing product, works well and has a whole bunch of flavors...
Edit: I must add... I have been addicted to alcohol, cocaine, extasy, meth, pills of various kinds... I have never struggled quitting something as much as I have cigarettes... I still smoke about a half a pack a day... I hate it... And I need to quit... Seriously... Just need to cold turkey quit...
Nate

olds-cool
07-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Brasscatz, the NJoy brand is supposed to be decent, very similar to the Mistics that I used for a while. What I found is that you can pop the back off the cartos and refill them with your own juice. I refilled the same 2 cartos for well over 2 months before they started tasting funny. Boil them in water every so often to clean them out, let dry, then refill. The thing with E-cigs is that most people expect them to taste exactly like a real one. I've made mixes that come close but you'll never match the taste of something that burns. The key is to find flavors that you enjoy and quit expecting them to taste like a real cig.
I'm very happy with the switch over. I don't lose my breath as easy, I use less allergy meds, I enjoy food more, and I smell a hell of a lot better now (in both senses). Oh and I can vape in the house without it killing my family or making everything yellow & stinky. I even vape at my desk while at work. I won't miss standing outside in the winter either.
I'm vaping while I type this, lol.

One more edit: Stay away from the crap they sell in the mall kiosk. It's 3x the price as what you can get online. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'd be glad to share some good sites with any of you. I promote it as much as I can to all my smoking friends.

bigjim350
09-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Just sayin.....http://tobaccoharmreduction.org/faq/healtheffectsofst.htm

07Negative
09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
I say don't talk about it, be about it. What's the worst thing that can happen to you if you quit? It's not like it'll kill ya to quit right? That's how I made up my mind to quit. My big negative would be is that I'm a mean SOB. So if anyone is near me within ear shot and they bug me. They'll hear about it.
I had to start working out again. I'm already constantly doing something so I did more, I learned to hate the smell of cigs, I stopped drinking beer and wine for 6 months. The association is too strong. Eating healthier helped. Once all those endorphins started going. I stayed on top of it. I like that feeling just as much as I liked my blood cells closing up and drying out. Smoking depletes your body of vitamin C like crazy. As needed you need 3,000mg a day as it is to keep up. It kills your skin and hair. I kept pictures of my ugly aged smoker family around. A constant reminder I never want or wanted to be like them. That was enough motivation.
But hey, if you can't quite kick it. Get a vaporizer. Cut down those carcinogens and keep tokin away.

TeXJ
09-10-2012, 09:53 PM
all this talk of turkey has me hungry :D

More power to ya! Plus when you quit you'll have more money for jeep stuff lol

cpttuna
09-10-2012, 10:15 PM
my original reply to this thread is #62. I lost a brother who was going to smoke come hell or high water. It cost him his life at age 50. He liked motorcycles and anything to do with guns and reloading, but if you do not take care of youyrself, its all meaningless.I have not smoked a cigarette in 21 years. I believe it took my brother's death for me to "SEE THE LIGHT"

4.3LXJ
09-10-2012, 10:22 PM
My mother smoked about four a day. Died of lung cancer at 61

xjrev10
09-12-2012, 01:04 AM

I quit. July 25 was my last pinch. The 6 dollars a can was getting to me. Up till the day I quit, it was a can and half a day.

Saturday night I drank LOTS of some kind of beer. Sunday, sick.... Ha. But I only had one chew. Back to work Monday, I fought through the day.. 3 dips. Tuesday, waited till noon for the first one. Through a big wad in... 2 min later I thought I was gonna puke. End of the shift at work, I handed the tin off to a buddy. Haven't touched it since.

I really wanna get a nice jeep built. (by myself) So I'm saving now what I used to spend on chew plus a little bit more and I'm sitting at 1400 Benjamins already!!!

Everyday gets easier. Still think about it all the time..... Chewing pissed me off. I'm done!!! Nothing messes with the jeep fund!

Also, stopping at the gas station everyday also costs. Beef jerky, pop/energy drink, magazines etc. So it wasn't just 6 bucks a day, it was 20-25!! Add that up! Only would I buy a 'roll' is when I went on vacation away from civilization for a few days..