PDA

View Full Version : How do you secure your winch cable?

Niac
09-19-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm not concerned with someone stealing it as my bolts are inaccessible.
However at work one of those guys that can be to much fun wrapped my winch cable around a post and back to my jeep. He told me and everyone else about it in the locker room before I left, and we had a good laugh. But it got me to thinking that someone could hook me to another car at the store some day and I wouldn't know it.
I've hooked my relays up so they won't run unless the Ignition is on, but how to secure that cable I'm not sure of.

LizardRunner
09-19-2011, 08:44 PM
That question got me to thinking. What about a lockable cover made of some 18 gauge sheet, steel or aluminum? you could use two locks to keep every thing where you want it to remain.

Niac
09-20-2011, 01:35 AM
That would work but a lot of fab. work. I might do that though.

bigjim350
09-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Just use a pad lock on the end of the cable where the hook attaches. And then find something to wrap the cable around and lock it. Such as a tube on the bumer or d-ring mounts.

LizardRunner
09-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Good Idea Jim!

Niac
09-20-2011, 08:23 AM
I like it. Easy and Cheap. Just like me.

4.3LXJ
09-20-2011, 09:32 AM
I have one that is even cheaper. I hook mine into the clevis right under the winch and then real the cable up tight. You cannot put the winch into free spool with pressure on the cable, and you cannot take the pressure off without the remote. So the cable is secure.

Mudderoy
09-20-2011, 11:53 AM
There really isn't a way of securing the cable. Other than putting a locking plate in front of it, or a locking box over the entire unit.

If you look the hook they can remove the pin and disconnect the cable. Or they could just cut it off.

What needs to happen is a lock be built into the manual cable release.

4.3LXJ
09-20-2011, 04:04 PM
I would like to watch someone take the pin out of my hook with a couple of thousand pounds of pressure on it. I could sell tickets. That cable is always under pressure and has to be backed off with the winch motor. Since I have the remote locked up, they would have to break into the Jeep to do it.

Mudderoy
09-20-2011, 04:15 PM
I would like to watch someone take the pin out of my hook with a couple of thousand pounds of pressure on it. I could sell tickets. That cable is always under pressure and has to be backed off with the winch motor. Since I have the remote locked up, they would have to break into the Jeep to do it.

So you can't release the manual brake?

4.3LXJ
09-20-2011, 05:15 PM
So you can't release the manual brake?

Not with that much pressure on it.

Niac
09-20-2011, 08:13 PM
I have one that is even cheaper. I hook mine into the clevis right under the winch and then real the cable up tight. You cannot put the winch into free spool with pressure on the cable, and you cannot take the pressure off without the remote. So the cable is secure.

I can operate my winch with the rear window sw. on the driver's door. I also have a radio remote for it. So I leave it free spooled in case it decides to start running on it's own while I'm driving.

Niac
10-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Resurrecting an old post.
This how I'm going to Lock my Winch.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/cainc_bucket/Jeep%20Cherokee%202001%20Albums/Winch/WinchLock3.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll283/cainc_bucket/Jeep%20Cherokee%202001%20Albums/Winch/WinchLock1.jpg

cantab27
10-22-2011, 04:02 AM
frist time i have ever heard of it as being a hassle ,,problem...nice fix but