PDA

View Full Version : shocks

cantab27
09-19-2011, 02:12 AM
hey all,, well after having jeep up on hoist and dropping trans , thought i would have a lookie at things and found this....

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/Image0566.jpg

.....all four are same and showing signs of surface rust..

so whats the benefit of the covers,, they do have small holes for water to escape , but the mud gets in there and well turns to poo....do you keep em on or get rid of em..(they are red so are causing problems :p )....have noticed most pics of jeeps don't seem to have em...cheers

cantab27
09-19-2011, 02:16 AM
heres the covers im talking about,,,what do yall call em dust covers???

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/Image0434.jpg

Niac
09-19-2011, 02:17 AM
I've always felt the boots were for looks only. I've got red ones.
My shocks mount the other way so the mud doesn't lay on them.
I've got procomp.

cantab27
09-19-2011, 02:21 AM
thanks mate...yep red so must be for the bling factor.... may just biff em ......

bigjim350
09-19-2011, 02:21 AM
I would never run shock boots on a jeep that gets wheeled. They let mud and moisture in, but wont let the mud out. All the shocks that I have seen that were rusted out, had shock boots. Not to mention that is a very ugly color that should never be on a jeep.

cantab27
09-19-2011, 02:24 AM
cheers jimbos ...... just for show then

Mudderoy
09-19-2011, 06:27 AM
hey all,, well after having jeep up on hoist and dropping trans , thought i would have a lookie at things and found this....

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/Image0566.jpg

.....all four are same and showing signs of surface rust..

so whats the benefit of the covers,, they do have small holes for water to escape , but the mud gets in there and well turns to poo....do you keep em on or get rid of em..(they are red so are causing problems :p )....have noticed most pics of jeeps don't seem to have em...cheers

I remember Rene telling me it just holds moisture, so he didn't have any on his...

4.3LXJ
09-19-2011, 09:42 AM
The only time I would want to run them is in an area where they salt the roads. The new shocks are no longer made with chromed shafts, so they will rust quickly and loose the pressure and fluid. But for you Wayne, I would keep them off.

LizardRunner
09-19-2011, 11:03 AM
"dust boots" work for playing is the sand dunes or on dusty roads/trails. if you are going mudding, swimming or other water type sports, leave the things off. it is like driving down the highway with your "parking" lights on instead of the head lights.

XJ4IV
09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
red=fail.. i think thats the issue we are dealing with here! and as for boots noI havent run with em in years my shocks come with a set of black ones and I never used em.
and for those of you who run the regular shocks upside down... you really shouldnt
the seal at the top INSIDE of the shock will in short time get eroded from the oil inside and cause premature failure. the air shocks that you see on buggies are designed in a way that they HAVE to be shaft side down due to the oil you have to add into it or nitrogen you have to add to attain ride height also the seals are designed to resist the internal oils

Carves
09-19-2011, 05:34 PM
"dust boots" work for playing is the sand dunes or on dusty roads/trails. if you are going mudding, swimming or other water type sports, leave the things off. it is like driving down the highway with your "parking" lights on instead of the head lights.

X 2 ...

They are just a water trap in wet conditions.

cantab27
09-19-2011, 11:51 PM
i shall remove them on the weekend...cheers guy

LizardRunner
09-20-2011, 07:57 AM
While your under there Wayne, you could paint the bodies green. Just saying.

gary63
09-20-2011, 08:38 PM
you can tie off the tops and leve the bottoms open so water and mud can come out and you can lift the boots up and clean off any mud.

saar
09-20-2011, 11:23 PM
You just have to clean it from time to time.
I leave them on, but cleaning it every now and then.
Saar

cantab27
09-20-2011, 11:34 PM
clean em...i struggle with that word saar lol..... for what i play in down here may be easy-er just to ditch them.......

xj4life2
09-21-2011, 01:27 PM
The only time I would want to run them is in an area where they salt the roads. The new shocks are no longer made with chromed shafts, so they will rust quickly and loose the pressure and fluid. But for you Wayne, I would keep them off.

Toss'em !! they are trash !!! Be sure you clean the shocks well and keep an eye on them for oil loss. Hopefully they didn't rot anything