PDA

View Full Version : On Board Air - How do you hook it all up?!?!?!

Mudderoy
09-17-2011, 08:00 PM
A little while back I purchased a ViAir air pressure gauge to go in my a-pillar pod.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/VAR-90083.jpg

I just ordered a 2.5 gallon 150 psi Viair tank.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31X3X9JmcqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was going to connect the two together then put a fitting somewhere I could fill it up with the air compressor at the house. Then I could hook up a air hose to fill up a tire or two.

I'm considering ordering a Viair air compressor (Viair 450C 100% duty cycle) but still how do I hook all this up?!?!?!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411V5BzC3VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have an overhead switch to power the air compressor on and off, and a gauge to monitor the air pressure in the tank. I think I need to run some lines, but I think I need some safety valves or something...

XJ4IV
09-17-2011, 08:34 PM
fairly simple IF you have everything... which IF you have the tank some hoses the compressor a switch and a 12v supply... your good to go basically you run your power which is self explanatory,next FROM your compressor you run a air line to the tank
if your guage IS going into the pillar THATS the very hard part cause you have to run a "t" fitting from your tank one goes to your air hose your going to use to fill tires or whatever and the other is going to the gauge BUT if you have a gauge that has an inlet and an outlet the your gauge is an inline which is an easier way to go but just gotta run more air line. other than that its pretty simple now what you can do for additional capacity is you can run steel air lines to all 4 corners of your jeep then just use a short little hose to reach to your tire.

XJ4IV
09-17-2011, 08:38 PM
basically your "T" fitting will be this

this part of the fitting is to the pillar gauge..................................This is to the end your using for tool
.................................................. ................T................................. ....................
.................................................. ........this one is to the tank.............................................. .....

4.3LXJ
09-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Tony, it all depends on what you want it to do. But if you want it to run like a shop compressor and be a no brainer, then you need a few things. First, you need a check valve. This keeps the air from bleeding off back through your compressor when not in use, or when cycled off. Next you need a pressure switch which will operate a relay that runs the compressor. Your switch on your panel will power the pressure switch only. The pressure switch will take care of operation.

Here is the link I have here for OBA

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6438

XJ4IV
09-17-2011, 10:51 PM
oh crap ... totally forgot about the pressure switch... Ive been doing air ride systems for a few weeks at work now and all those are on a manual switch but yeah the pressure regulated switch is perfect

Mudderoy
09-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Tony, it all depends on what you want it to do. But if you want it to run like a shop compressor and be a no brainer, then you need a few things. First, you need a check valve. This keeps the air from bleeding off back through your compressor when not in use, or when cycled off. Next you need a pressure switch which will operate a relay that runs the compressor. Your switch on your panel will power the pressure switch only. The pressure switch will take care of operation.

Here is the link I have here for OBA

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6438

Ahhhh ok, so you turn on the pressure switch and it controls the compressor. Running it until a pre-set psi is reached then shuts off the compressor. Yeah I like that.

BlueXJ
09-17-2011, 11:44 PM
I have two tanks situated in the rear floor since I never have the rear seat in use. I just made it permanent. I have the compressor under the hood and the Viaair factory gauge and cutoff under the dash.

Mudderoy
09-18-2011, 01:36 PM
I see I didn't give enough information, or should I say limitations.

This is a daily driver, and the family rides in it with me. The tank and compressor will be mounted outside the creature area.

Right now I'm thinking about under the driver's side behind the t-case for the tank.

4.3LXJ
09-18-2011, 02:10 PM
I forgot to add, a pop off valve is handy. I have used mine when the pressure switch got stuck when I was driving down the road. It went off and I said "Now what is that noise all about"

eking81
09-18-2011, 07:45 PM
here is a good diagram of whats needed

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/OBA/images/on-board-air.gif

using the compressor you selected you wont need a air filter or oiler on the compressors intake
you might also get away without the water/oil trap not sure not used one of those compressors

anyway theres more then you need there but it gives a good idea of what is needed and how to run everything

im going to be running a York 210 compressor in place of the cold air :(
i have all the parts just need to finish the floor frist lol

4.3LXJ
09-18-2011, 07:53 PM
I will disagree on the oiler for the Viair. It is oil less and needs no lubrication, so the oiler and oil trap are not needed. Also Muddy, I would check and see if those have a built in pressure switch. May not need that either if they have one.

eking81
09-18-2011, 07:58 PM
using the compressor you selected you wont need a air filter or oiler on the compressors intake
you might also get away without the water/oil trap not sure not used one of those compressors

so you agree then ;)

had to do it :rotfl2:

cantab27
09-18-2011, 08:46 PM
its easy onboard air...............

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/Image0500.jpg

zr2toxj
09-18-2011, 08:49 PM
You can check out the way I did mine here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v171/zealr2/XJ/?start=80

Get a manifold, that way you can have many ports to go where you want.

I've also found that getting some of the valves from Discount Hydraulics is a big help.

I have a wilkerson regulator/separator that I use to regulate the air to the ARB's and it is monitored at the console.

I have an air chuck at the front bumper that is discharged most of the time and has a shut off valve.

FWIW, I've changed mine quite a but since it was first installed, trial and error. But I like what I've got and I hav additional ports if I want to add something.

I run the PS for the compressor at 80-150psi and regulate that to 90psi for the ARB's.

I bought the quick coupling fittings for all the lines from discount hydraulics so it's easy to change or add things.
Any questions, ask.

bigjim350
09-18-2011, 09:13 PM
I have used Viair compressors quite a bit. The come with a factory check valve in the feed line. They do not come with a pressure switch. Also you will not need a blow off valve for the comp. It wont pump past 200psi. Any online shop that sales air ride will be able to sell you a pressure switch. You will need a relay also. The way i wired mine up was a power switch to the pressure switch, the pressure switch then went to the relay, which turned on the comp.

jeepxj95
09-18-2011, 11:36 PM
good stuff here

Niac
09-19-2011, 02:28 AM
My friend has his in the fender well behind the rear wheel. Ya know that place everyone cuts off. It's not a Viair though. My ARB is under the hood by the brake master cyl. Neither have a separate tank. You don't need one just to pump up tires. The compressors have press. sw.,s

Mudderoy
09-19-2011, 06:19 AM
Is the Viair 450C a good choice for an air compressor?

4.3LXJ
09-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Tony, check around on the street rod sites. They have a lot of air stuff at cheaper prices than the 4X4 world will ever see. Check a NAPA store if you can. They have a free hot rod mag that has lots of adds for air systems.

zr2toxj
09-19-2011, 09:47 AM
I was trying to remember what mine was. It isn't 100% duty but I like it very well. 400C, maybe? IDK, I'll have to look it up.

But, I would say it's a very good choice. I've had good luck with mine. Some said I'd regret having it inside, but it's not like it runs all the time, just comes on briefly if the tank gets down below 90psi. The ARBs take very little to actuate, so I can wheel all day without it coming on. If I'm airing up, I'm outside the vehicle anyway, so it doesn't matter.

I didn't want it under the hood where it's hot and dirty, or could get soaked in mud/water, etc.

Mudderoy
09-19-2011, 09:49 AM
I was trying to remember what mine was. It isn't 100% duty but I like it very well. 400C, maybe? IDK, I'll have to look it up.

But, I would say it's a very good choice. I've had good luck with mine. Some said I'd regret having it inside, but it's not like it runs all the time, just comes on briefly if the tank gets down below 90psi. The ARBs take very little to actuate, so I can wheel all day without it coming on. If I'm airing up, I'm outside the vehicle anyway, so it doesn't matter.

I didn't want it under the hood where it's hot and dirty, or could get soaked in mud/water, etc.

Yeah I know mounting both is going to be a challenge, however I really need them so I can figure out where they'll fit.

bigjim350
09-19-2011, 10:38 AM
The 450c or the 380c would both be good choices.

afbond03
09-27-2011, 10:43 PM
This could help:
http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/Schematics/10007_pd.pdf
There is more on the VIAIR website I think.

I had the 450c setup. Wasn't impressed with it at all. Ended up selling and going to CO2.

4.3LXJ
09-27-2011, 10:55 PM
I think it depends on what kind of speed you want from your system. The 450 is a decent electric painless system. But if you want serious air then the CO2 or AC compressor is the way to go

Mudderoy
09-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Piece #2 has arrived...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-It6pQsWl9B8/ToKcXIIhSGI/AAAAAAAABRo/OwXK1aIe2lA/s912/2011-09-27%25252023.00.58.jpg

BlueXJ
09-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Piece #2 has arrived...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-It6pQsWl9B8/ToKcXIIhSGI/AAAAAAAABRo/OwXK1aIe2lA/s912/2011-09-27%25252023.00.58.jpg
Good luck with that tank. I had mine on the lift for a few hours trying to find a place to mpunt that monster, finally put 2 smaller ones in the back foot well as I never use my back seat. I know you do so as stated good luck.

4.3LXJ
09-28-2011, 06:30 AM
I have the same tank mounted on the floor. I will eventually move it up on the side of the rear compartment.

afbond03
09-29-2011, 06:46 PM
I think it depends on what kind of speed you want from your system. The 450 is a decent electric painless system. But if you want serious air then the CO2 or AC compressor is the way to go

Yep, you are right. It is a good compressor. I was just tired of having to wait 30+ minutes to fill 4 32" tires.

4.3LXJ
09-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Yep, you are right. It is a good compressor. I was just tired of having to wait 30+ minutes to fill 4 32" tires.

I can fill them from flat to 28 psi in 4 minutes :banana::banana::banana:

BlueXJ
10-01-2011, 11:30 PM
My viair will take about 4.5 min to inflate a flat 32" tire but will run the impact to change that tire if needed too. Some things are more important that a few seconds longer to inflate a tire. JMHO

Mudderoy
10-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Ok I found this ViAir document.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/viairdiagram.png

So this makes more sense to me that what I've seen so far.

What line should I use? I mean I want it flexible mainly because I have to get that one line up the a-pillar to the viair pressure gauge. Can I just use standard air compressor air line? I mean Walmart has 30 feet of the stuff for $30.

4.3LXJ
10-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Tony, I bought the black air hose from Sears. Don't use the cheap Chinese red hose. It cracks in about a week. You can use regular barbed fittings and hose clamps

Mudderoy
10-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Tony, I bought the black air hose from Sears. Don't use the cheap Chinese red hose. It cracks in about a week. You can use regular barbed fittings and hose clamps

Ahhh ok, the stuff I got was blue, and I've been using it for a couple of years now, in the garage. I haven't been to Sears in years, but I think I remember where they are! :D

4.3LXJ
10-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Sears has good stuff in their tool dept.

zr2toxj
10-31-2011, 08:39 PM
When you start plumbing it up, put some tees in and plug them off. It will make it easier to add to it later.

Mudderoy
11-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Sears has good stuff in their tool dept.

Yeah I've been thinking about swinging by and looking at some of the tools anyway.

Olie's87XJ
11-02-2011, 10:50 PM
I've just got a female air fitting on my A/c compressor's outlet, and it will air up my 33's from 12 to 32 psi in about 40 seconds each. The heat from the compressor blows the hose after the 4th tire tho. I have everything to to put a tank in the rear, just no time. I'll post up if I ever get around to it. lol

LizardRunner
11-03-2011, 12:40 PM
The blue hose (usually this color is PUR) is good too. You do want to get polyurethane (PUR) hose, it will last the longest and is the most flexable for routing. If I was going to plumb a gauge, and I didn't need to worry about flex in the line, I would hard line it with some high pressure steel tubing. But then I have tubing benders so it would not really be a problem for me to lay out the route and custom bend then use double flare or single flare fittings for that particular set up.

Mudderoy
06-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Test fitting tank...

nateyz2000
06-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Test fitting tank...

Isn't there a better place for that thing? There is lots of room around front of gas tank... Stuff that thing outta sight!

Nate
<><

Mudderoy
06-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Isn't there a better place for that thing? There is lots of room around front of gas tank... Stuff that thing outta sight!

Nate
<><

I'm going to have a look in that area before I mount it.

Mudderoy
06-21-2012, 02:56 PM
What hose do I use to connect everything up? Standard hose like you would use on a garage system? 3/8" or something like that isn't it?

4.3LXJ
06-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Yes Tony, 3/8". I used the black hose from Sears. I have had two red hoses from other sources that crack in heat and even low shop light. The black stuff has held up even under the hood coming right off the compressor with no problem.

Mudderoy
06-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes Tony, 3/8". I used the black hose from Sears. I have had two red hoses from other sources that crack in heat and even low shop light. The black stuff has held up even under the hood coming right off the compressor with no problem.

Excellent, thanks. That was my main worry about how it would hold up.

xj4life2
06-21-2012, 03:07 PM
I used air line from harbor freight on two or three jobs from here and it hold up fine.Its BLUE but you could cover it with red lol lol :)

Mudderoy
07-09-2012, 02:46 PM

How did you make your runs. Well I guess I'm assuming you ran some from the front to the back? I was going to run mine along the inside of the uni-body rails, but I don't know how I'm going to attach it to the sides.

4.3LXJ
07-09-2012, 03:50 PM
How did you make your runs. Well I guess I'm assuming you ran some from the front to the back? I was going to run mine along the inside of the uni-body rails, but I don't know how I'm going to attach it to the sides.

Yup, hose from front to back. I went down the tranny tunnel and anchored the hose with zip ties that have a hole for a screw in the end. I used sort self tapping drill screws designed for attaching metal studs. Very short and won't penetrate the floor insulation.

Mudderoy
10-31-2016, 11:00 AM
I'm slowly starting to work on my Jeep again, for things other than must fix items.

As you can see this OBA project has been going on for a long time. I think one of the reasons is I just don't like my options for mounting the 2.5 gallon tank. I REALLY don't wan to mount that in the cargo area of my XJ.

I need to look at how a 4" x 37" air tank would fit under the Jeep but I'm liking this idea much better.

Has anyone run across air tanks that are long and skinny? I found one for $69 that is 4" diameter and 2 gallons.

I'm probably being overly concerned but I would must rather have a pressurize vessel OUTSIDE the vehicle than inside.

I will be mounting the air compressor on the inside though. Read enough things about heat, and reduction in the life of the Viair compressor when not mounted upright.

Once I get the air in I can do the horn and more importantly the ARB, at least one of them.

prerunner1982
10-31-2016, 11:23 AM
Under what seat are you planning on mounting a 37" long tube? It's not going to fit under any of them. Will stick out front/back of the front seats and is too long to fit under the back seat. You might be able to mount it to the floor right behind the back seat.

Mudderoy
10-31-2016, 11:25 AM
Under what seat are you planning on mounting a 37" long tube? It's not going to fit under any of them. Will stick out front/back of the front seats and is too long to fit under the back seat. You might be able to mount it to the floor right behind the back seat.

Under the floor of the Jeep, outside of the cabin. I was thinking along side one of the sliders. If I have enough room I could help protect it with a sheet of steel bolted to the sliders.

prerunner1982
10-31-2016, 11:30 AM
Under the floor of the Jeep, outside of the cabin. I was thinking along side one of the sliders. If I have enough room I could help protect it with a sheet of steel bolted to the sliders.

ahh my mistake... carry on.

4.3LXJ
10-31-2016, 12:23 PM
Tony, you can make a tank out of schedule 80 PVC any size or shape you want. Drill and tap a fitting in the double layer of end cap and tube. I have one I made once, if you need a pic.

XJ Wheeler
11-01-2016, 05:18 PM
This is exactly why I wanted to make my rockers my air tanks. I didn't want to mount one inside and finding a good spot underneath sounded daunting.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Mudderoy
11-02-2016, 08:09 AM
Tony, you can make a tank out of schedule 80 PVC any size or shape you want. Drill and tap a fitting in the double layer of end cap and tube. I have one I made once, if you need a pic.

I read about that while searching for long skinny air tanks. I understand that schedule 80 is pretty tough but it is a good long term solution?

Actually it sounds pretty simple. Were there any gotchas?

Mudderoy
11-02-2016, 08:11 AM
This is exactly why I wanted to make my rockers my air tanks. I didn't want to mount one inside and finding a good spot underneath sounded daunting.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

I was told that multiple purpose things like sliders or bumpers for air tanks were doomed to failure. I think it's a general statement with exceptions. I suspect that if you make it yourself, that when it starts leaking in the future you can fix it yourself.

4.3LXJ
11-02-2016, 09:35 AM
I read about that while searching for long skinny air tanks. I understand that schedule 80 is pretty tough but it is a good long term solution?

Actually it sounds pretty simple. Were there any gotchas?

There are two catches. First it has to be vibration proof and second you have to keep the ultra violet rays off the PVC. It makes it brittle over time. Secure mounting and a little paint should take care of that

OrangeXJ
11-02-2016, 09:59 AM
My 2 cents is an air tank is something that is not needed. It takes up space that can be used for storing other things or as Steve said require up keep. My air compressor at the house has a 30gal tank while running air tools or airing up tires its all ways coming on. With a good high volume air pump you can air up tires a bit slow but it works. With a good battery powered impact and a couple of charged up batteries and a power inverter to run the charger you should be able to do trail repairs.

Mudderoy
11-02-2016, 10:40 AM
My 2 cents is an air tank is something that is not needed. It takes up space that can be used for storing other things or as Steve said require up keep. My air compressor at the house has a 30gal tank while running air tools or airing up tires its all ways coming on. With a good high volume air pump you can air up tires a bit slow but it works. With a good battery powered impact and a couple of charged up batteries and a power inverter to run the charger you should be able to do trail repairs.

Plans are to run air horn, arb lockers, and air up tires. I think I'll need some sort of air tank for the horn and lockers, otherwise the horn would have to wait for the compressor to kick on and the lockers would require the compressor to be running while I was locked. At least that's what I think would have to happen, but I'm pretty sure I don't need 2.5 gallon air tank for those.

OrangeXJ
11-02-2016, 11:46 AM
Plans are to run air horn, arb lockers, and air up tires. I think I'll need some sort of air tank for the horn and lockers, otherwise the horn would have to wait for the compressor to kick on and the lockers would require the compressor to be running while I was locked. At least that's what I think would have to happen, but I'm pretty sure I don't need 2.5 gallon air tank for those.

Air horn yes you would need a tank. As for the lockers no I know many people with arb lockers they don't need tanks. They just leave the compressor on while using the lockers. I have air operated sway bar disconnects I just leave the pump on as long as you have no air leaks the pump only comes on for a few seconds then turns off. Once my discos are aired up and unlocked I have never seen the pump come back on. I assume the lockers are the same way. I have also heard electric horns that you would think they were air horns

xj-jake
11-11-2016, 11:45 AM
So the "brown note" is actually gonna happen?

Mudderoy
11-11-2016, 11:50 AM
So the "brown note" is actually gonna happen?

Well the on board air with air horn will happen, just don't know when. Gots to do some measuring and more searching. I really don't want to loose cargo space with a tank.