PDA

View Full Version : Paint Job

steph74
09-12-2011, 12:27 PM
will my jeep spend another winter with mixed and match colors ?
I have the paint, I have the sand paper, I have the color scheme already....

Mudderoy
09-12-2011, 12:30 PM
will my jeep spend another winter with mixed and match colors ?
I have the paint, I have the sand paper, I have the color scheme already....

You can do it however you like it but I would be tempted to sand it down enough to hold the new paint, spray it with bead liner, the stuff from WalMart that is $50 a can, then camo it. I just don't know how much weight that would add, or if that would even be a problem.

2nd choice would be to bed liner the rockers, door bottoms and camo the rest.

steph74
09-12-2011, 12:34 PM
color scheme is yellow and black... but I wanted camo and maybe you are right I should just go for that and I should regain motivation for it ;)

XJScarlet
09-12-2011, 12:48 PM
The black around the bottom of my XJ, my bumpers, fender flares, and my front clip. I sanded all of them this spring, cleaned it up with Xylene and used bed liner on them. I needed to clean up the rust. I am waiting to see how they hold up through this winter. I will let you know.

steph74
09-12-2011, 12:51 PM
well the black patch on my rear quarter is actually walmart spray on bed liner (rustoleum I think)

I did that last summer and just sanded the paint, cleaned with alcohol and sprayed.... no problem at all (1 coat only) and tried to put a wire brush to it and it is staying good barely scratched it

So i know it works good

XJScarlet
09-12-2011, 12:54 PM
I used the Rustoleum rattle can as well, good to know it holds up!

Personally, I like your black and yellow theme. You could go to the lengths of used yellow convaluted(sp?) tubing under the hood. :p

steph74
09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
yeah that is a good idea... I almost already painted the valve cover when I replaced the head...

but impatience got me ;)

4.3LXJ
09-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Heck with it Steph, do black and yellow camo:sniper:

LizardRunner
09-20-2011, 03:47 PM
:boohoo:steve beat me to it. But I'll add this idea, go camo scheme, incorporate yellow into your camo scheme. (A good camo usually has a mix of all the colors you would encounter while tring to hide) Check out the camo's of the different countries military uniforms. Those will give you some good ideas. Germany has one called deep forest that even has "shudder" red in it.

steph74
09-20-2011, 03:52 PM
I like the alpenflage or the german ine..... my initial plan was obviously French army camouflage.... (i will kicknthevfirst one that says that french army camouflage is white like the white flag.....)

LizardRunner
09-20-2011, 07:56 PM
The french army camo is very good for where they expect to have to make use of it. I'd go with it.

LizardRunner
09-20-2011, 08:10 PM
http://www.kamouflage.net/ this site has photos of just about every country's camo patterns. find what you want and apply to jeep. the three french camos are here. I like the french lizard design of course.