PDA

View Full Version : Headlights just stopped working

TheWeiss
09-12-2011, 11:06 AM
While driving the other night my headlights completely cut out and now refuse to turn back on. I checked through the fuses under the hood and the ones under the dash and they all look fine. I didn't know which fuse would run the headlights so I pulled all of them to check. Are the headlights run through a relay? If so where is it and how can I tell if it's gone bad (aside from the lights not working).
The orange corner lights that go on with the headlights are working fine.
Since both lights went out at exactly the same time I doubt that it could be a burn-out issue.
Also worth mentioning, I have the Rampage H4 MSR Headlamp Conversion Kit so the headlights aren't entirely stock.

Any idea or advise is, as always, very much appreciated.

xj4life2
09-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Check fuse 13 in the power distribution center, if its good the headlamp switch itself has an internal circut breaker. I would replace the switch.

Mudderoy
09-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Check fuse 13 in the power distribution center, if its good the headlamp switch itself has an internal circut breaker. I would replace the switch.

Wow sounds like I need to add a bypass headlight switch on my overhead!

jeepxj95
09-13-2011, 12:38 AM
had the samething happen to me. same kit also. it was the switch. i could hold the highs on for lights to get home.

TheWeiss
09-13-2011, 01:29 PM
I'll try replacing the switch but if it's not the switch could it be anything else?

Fuses - Checked
Switch- Will Check
???

4.3LXJ
09-13-2011, 06:22 PM
There is one other thing. I think the 96 still had fusible links on the starter relay. If you have multiple systems affected, check them.