PDA

View Full Version : Welcome ageent.007!!!

cantab27
09-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi ageent.007, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

ageent.007
09-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Hello! And thanks for the welcome!

My name is Alex and i'm finally and xj owner!!! been dreaming for many years but I've finally managed to buy one of my own! What ive got is a 95 with a 6" long arm lift on 35's. Other than that its stock.....well other than the diesel engine in it.......haha say what you will! But its treated me just fine so far

I've got a ton of ideas I can't wait to start on. definitely axel swaps as I still have a d30 and a d35. I'm thinking maybe an 8.8...not entirely sure yet. Unfortunately I can't weld and being a broke college student have no means to learn, so until then ill be working on that :P

Other than that ive just been searching for a good online forum to be a part of and came across y'all on tapatalk. Just hoping to learn a few things and meet some cool xj owners along the way!

4.3LXJ
09-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Hi alex, glad you joined. I know what you mean about being a college student and not knowing how to weld. One thing I did was take a night class on welding. It taught me a lot. If you have questions, this is not like a college class. There are no dumb questions here.

ageent.007
09-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Actually talked to one of my buddies recently and may end up doing just that! I'm gonna see if I can audit it just so I can learn without having another test to study for.

4.3LXJ
09-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Studying for this class is the practice you need to weld well

jeepxj95
09-13-2011, 10:43 PM
what engine, trans, year? want to do a diesel swap some day. thanks

ageent.007
09-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Your definitely right. I guess what I mean is going into my senior classes its one less grade I have to worry about if I audit. No question I will put the time in though....now if only I could take school and combine it with something like this, I would be set! Started working at an architecture firm in high-school and decided to do engineering because I "couldn't sit at a desk all day"....now im realizing too late that I'm headed the same direction :P

ageent.007
09-13-2011, 11:28 PM
First off I just want to say I cannot take credit for the swap, really wish I could though Haha.

That being said I do know quit a bit about what was done so I can try an answer as many questions as I can.

Engine: 6.2L GMC diesel (year unknown at the moment can't get behind the block to see the casting stamp :P has 2 fuel filters though so I've pinned it to 80's. They have a bad rap for being junk and cracking cylinder heads which does happen. But from who I've talked to and what I've read most horror stories arise from poor maintenance.

Things to think about:

Weight-its not really as heavy as people think. Its around 700lbs'ish, about 200 more than a 4.0. However, I still think reinforcing the frame is a safe bet (mine is). Its a TIGHT fit and will take some talented Fab and essentially replacing the front to fit the radiator, but it fits.

CHEAP- these motors are everywhere and parts are really cheap. So if you keep it in good shape and take care of it it will return the favor for sure.
.....I can really go on and on about the motor so let me know if you want to know more.

Tranny: nv4500 5 speed manual out of a 2003 suburban.

One big thing to keep in mind is that diesels don't Rev all that high (mine maxes at 3500...and that is MAX I usually shift at under or around 2000) so the right gearing is important or else you could be stuck doing 55mph Max....but you'd have sick off-road ability....depends on what you need.

Sorry that's a lot, I started rambling haha

jeepxj95
09-15-2011, 12:08 AM
i would love to a diesel swap in xj. it would be rare for sure. can u post pix???

ageent.007
09-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Yeah sure ill make a thread about it this weekend when I have time to take some good pictures. I was gonna wait till I got my camera back to take some. But I've been pretty impressed with my phone so far.