PDA

View Full Version : newbie

seaharding
09-06-2011, 10:21 PM
hi everyone! new guy here. ihave a 97 xj, with a rustys long arm front, about 4.5 inches of lift , 33 inch tires, rear bastard pack. i live in the north bay area.
got hooked on rock crawling trails about 3 years ago after my first trip to the rubicon. i have had all sorts of jeeps and have been wheeling for 20 + years :crazy:.

Mudderoy
09-06-2011, 10:26 PM
hi everyone! new guy here. ihave a 97 xj, with a rustys long arm front, about 4.5 inches of lift , 33 inch tires, rear bastard pack. i live in the north bay area.
got hooked on rock crawling trails about 3 years ago after my first trip to the rubicon. i have had all sorts of jeeps and have been wheeling for 20 + years :crazy:.

Hey thanks for the post! I was just telling them in chat that begging works! :smiley-laughing021:

The only thing that worries me about rocks (never done it) is rolling the rig. I hate just seeing someone else's Jeep roll, much less mine. Now a buggy I wouldn't care as much.

cantab27
09-06-2011, 10:27 PM
welcome to xjtalk

4.3LXJ
09-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Welcome from Chico, CA. We have lots of rocks here, come join us.

bigjim350
09-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Welcome to the site :thumbsup:

seaharding
09-07-2011, 02:37 PM
thanks everyone! chico rocks? any names of trails? any rockin trails with fishing?

4.3LXJ
09-07-2011, 02:47 PM
thanks everyone! chico rocks? any names of trails? any rockin trails with fishing?

Locally we have the High Lakes, which I understand have fishing in them. I believe they are managed by Fish and Game and are stocked periodically. Rocks there go from challenging to insane on a half dozen different trails. Also we have the lower end of Ishi Road, and upper and lower Grapevine Jeep trails. I have been on Ishi road and can say it is short, but without a rear locker or winch you won't make it up. Down is OK though. There is another I am set to explore out soon called the Murphy Trail, a little known trail that is challenging and an all day trail from what I understand. I just returned from the Frodyce Creek area. Here is the link

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?p=88361#post88361

It is about the same distance from you as the Rubi. There is fishing in this area, but you will have to hike for the good stuff. There are everything from Browns to Bullheads in this area. I know where there some really big ones within eyesight of the Sierra Trek trail, but I ain't tellin. :D

seaharding
09-16-2011, 10:32 AM
i want to do the dusey ershim trail in october. has anyone done that trail this year? and what are the minimum upgrades a xj needs to make it through?

xj4life2
09-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Locally we have the High Lakes, which I understand have fishing in them. I believe they are managed by Fish and Game and are stocked periodically. Rocks there go from challenging to insane on a half dozen different trails. Also we have the lower end of Ishi Road, and upper and lower Grapevine Jeep trails. I have been on Ishi road and can say it is short, but without a rear locker or winch you won't make it up. Down is OK though. There is another I am set to explore out soon called the Murphy Trail, a little known trail that is challenging and an all day trail from what I understand. I just returned from the Frodyce Creek area. Here is the link

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?p=88361#post88361

It is about the same distance from you as the Rubi. There is fishing in this area, but you will have to hike for the good stuff. There are everything from Browns to Bullheads in this area. I know where there some really big ones within eyesight of the Sierra Trek trail, but I ain't tellin. :D

X2 on the trails and fishin , Steve just touched on a few spots and well he may not be tellin , but we could follow him :shocker: Welcome to our little slice of Heaven !! Hope you enjoy your stay. Wow I just sounded like Jim Bodet "we'll leave the light on "

4.3LXJ
09-16-2011, 11:47 AM
i want to do the dusey ershim trail in october. has anyone done that trail this year? and what are the minimum upgrades a xj needs to make it through?

From what I know of the Dusey, you will need a rear locker and be able to air down, and back up of course. I can find out more specifically if you want. I have a friend who wheels that trail often.

seaharding
09-18-2011, 01:12 AM
how about a front locker and mirrors?lol. My rear end took a crap on me. open now. guess i could weld it if i have to. will i need to bring extra fuel? i herd it was almost 30 miles.

4.3LXJ
09-18-2011, 10:17 AM
From what I know of it, just fill up before you start and don't idle more than you need to. I haven't heard any remarks about needing to pack fuel.