PDA

View Full Version : intake manifold surgery

BRUNER247
09-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Anyone else trim the webbing on intake?

lifted1994xj
09-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Im not really sure why you would do that? What are you trying to accomplish by doing that?

Mudderoy
09-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Im not really sure why you would do that? What are you trying to accomplish by doing that?

I was going to ask the same thing. I was also wondering why the factory left it there.

BRUNER247
09-08-2011, 09:42 AM
I wasn't tryn to accomplish anything. I did it. Go look at your intake. Now look how tight that webbing is to your exhaust tubes, now look how close those injectors are to the webbing & exhaust. In traffic or slow wheeling that webbing traps heat under your intake & even normal driving those exhaust tubes heat up the intake, intake air, injectors, & overall engine compartment heat. Trimming that webbing not only lowers the heat sink to the intake & injectors but provides cooler intake air also which means more power. Heat can actually escape wheather its being pushed down or up,webbing removed allows airflow. My intakes cooler(which means cooler incoming air), engine runs cooler, all intake & exhaust bolts are easy to get to, crank sensor is accessible from top now.

Mudderoy
09-08-2011, 09:43 AM
I wasn't tryn to accomplish anything. I did it. Go look at your intake. Now look how tight that webbing is to your exhaust tubes, now look how close those injectors are to the webbing & exhaust. In traffic or slow wheeling that webbing traps heat under your intake & even normal driving those exhaust tubes heat up the intake, intake air, injectors, & overall engine compartment heat. Trimming that webbing not only lowers the heat sink to the intake & injectors but provides cooler intake air also which means more power. Heat can actually escape wheather its being pushed down or up,webbing removed allows airflow. My intakes cooler(which means cooler incoming air), engine runs cooler, all intake & exhaust bolts are easy to get to, crank sensor is accessible from top now.

:thanx: Hmmm I bet that would make even a bigger difference since I have a big hole in my hood. Somewhere for the heat to go.

BRUNER247
09-08-2011, 10:09 AM
You can take it even farther by wrapping your header also. I trimmed both old & new style intakes. Ill try to get my girl to posts some pics this evening, I can't from this junk BB.

lifted1994xj
09-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Huh i never would have thought of doing that sounds like a good idea.

BRUNER247
09-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Couple pics of both styles in my album.

Carves
09-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Im a bit of wowser when it comes to removing reinforcing material .... but swisscheesing mine with a 3/8 drill might be on the, To Do List, next time I have it off. :thumbsup:

Exhaust wrap is proven to work .... but also can destroy the headers quickly if the vehicle is regularly used as a boat .... Have a look behind a magnetic real estate sign - thats been on a car door for a long time - for an idea of the result caused by heating & cooling trapped moisture. ;)

BRUNER247
09-08-2011, 11:17 PM
The runners are more than enough to support itself n the throttle body. Not like a bunch of pressure is on it. I removed it completely on the rounded new style n left bout a inch toward the TB on the old style. & as for header wrap & a magnetic door sign? Trapped moisture n grit from dirt & dust & the suns rays can't even be compared to header wrap on a exhaust system.imo anyhow. A engine at operating temp will push enough heat through that header to dry the wrap out within minutes of getting wet. Had mine in river today when I went kayaking. By wrapping the header its keeping that much more heat in the pipes to be pushed out through the system. & with the stainless & ceramic coated headers available today it shouldn't be a problem anyhow. I definitely wouldn't be scared to run wrap on stock pipe neither. Hell it would actually probably help the factory cracking problem(least it wouldn't sound like exhaust leak).

BRUNER247
09-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Everything I found about wrapped carbon steel headers rusting was they rusted from the inside out. & the headers were probably junk to begin with. I've read countless testimonials from trials riders to baja racers. Many claiming 10+ years & still no problems.

Mudderoy
09-09-2011, 06:34 AM
The runners are more than enough to support itself n the throttle body. Not like a bunch of pressure is on it. I removed it completely on the rounded new style n left bout a inch toward the TB on the old style. & as for header wrap & a magnetic door sign? Trapped moisture n grit from dirt & dust & the suns rays can't even be compared to header wrap on a exhaust system.imo anyhow. A engine at operating temp will push enough heat through that header to dry the wrap out within minutes of getting wet. Had mine in river today when I went kayaking. By wrapping the header its keeping that much more heat in the pipes to be pushed out through the system. & with the stainless & ceramic coated headers available today it shouldn't be a problem anyhow. I definitely wouldn't be scared to run wrap on stock pipe neither. Hell it would actually probably help the factory cracking problem(least it wouldn't sound like exhaust leak).

We gotta get you a camera, or talk you in to posting pictures of this stuff. Damned interesting. :camera:

bluedragon436
09-09-2011, 06:57 AM
I was wondering why the pics of the IM in your albums looked a bit odd.. now it makes sense... I think I will do this to my 99 IM before I install it.. anything that can help with cooling is a plus to me!!

BRUNER247
09-09-2011, 09:14 AM
I put a couple pics up in my album last night mudderoy. Yeah I need a camera & a craptop. This crackberry is old. Fell 4' out of my jeep too many times.

4.3LXJ
09-09-2011, 09:29 AM
My pipes are wrapped, no problem so far aside from collecting mud out of the water

BRUNER247
09-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Is that considered ceramic coating or terra-cotta. Lol

4.3LXJ
09-09-2011, 10:27 AM
You might have something there. Can I patent that?

dagr8tim
10-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I cut the webbing on the intake of a Ford Tempo 2.3 (basically a 200 cid I6 missing 2 cylinders). It does provide a ton less area for heat sink.