PDA

View Full Version : My XJ commited suicide! HELP!

OhJeepers
09-05-2011, 06:12 PM
So I recently replaced my spark plugs with bosch +4 plugs, my stock wires with MSD 8.5 super conductors, an the cap an rotor with accel performance cap an rotor. Before I replaced my cap an rotor the jeep ran like a champ still.. i put on the new cap an rotor an it won't start, it wants to start but just won't catch. When I crank the key it begins to turn over like normal an sounds like it may start but after a second my cold air intake sounds like it gulps a huge amount of air or its pushing air out. I have no idea what is happening :smiley-angry021: . I've never even heard the noise my poor XJ is making lol

LizardRunner
09-05-2011, 06:48 PM
put the old cap and rotor back on. It sounds like your new cap is either the wrong one or it has a crack in it.

OhJeepers
09-05-2011, 06:51 PM
The old cap an rotor are the original ones.... they're in real sad condition an kill my gas mileage..

LizardRunner
09-05-2011, 06:54 PM
unfortunately it sounds like you will need to replace the new cap and rotor again. I had that happen once, bought new parts and they were defective. Most places will replace them but it means a second trip to the parts store.

frumundacheeze
09-05-2011, 07:43 PM
are you positive you have the firing order right?

OhJeepers
09-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Frumundacheeze.... :bang: In gettin my cap it was a universal cap not a jeep specific.. sooo in my own stupidity I connected the wrong firing order. So after several hours of sulking over possibly losing my baby an reading a whole chiltons an a whole haynes manual I realized my firing order was slightly off haha. So my baby has been resurrected :D

frumundacheeze
09-05-2011, 08:00 PM
glad to hear its up and running, its an easy thing to mix up lol.

Carves
09-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Frumundacheeze.... :bang: In gettin my cap it was a universal cap not a jeep specific.. sooo in my own stupidity I connected the wrong firing order. So after several hours of sulking over possibly losing my baby an reading a whole chiltons an a whole haynes manual I realized my firing order was slightly off haha. So my baby has been resurrected :D

Good on ya for admitting the stuffup ..... :thumbsup:

Your mistake .... and you're not the first to do it ;) .... will save someone - who reads this thread ..... from some pain in the future.

Mudderoy
09-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Just remember next time put the new cap next to the old one and transfer one wire at a time. Works every time for me! :D

oderdene
09-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Just remember next time put the new cap next to the old one and transfer one wire at a time. Works every time for me! :D

2X, it works for me also

bluedragon436
09-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Glad to hear that you got her back up and going!! Nothing wrong with doing it wrong and learning, just makes you that much better off the next time around!!

OhJeepers
09-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks every one for the eager response on suggestions. it was quite a sight watching me my girlfriend said haha I was cussing an sulking over losing my beloved jeep. But thankfully i retraced my steps an went over what I had done a second time an realized my mistake. But without mistakes we would never learn. Again I thank all of you, you guys are the best.