PDA

View Full Version : WE, us, you and me, need to "up" the post count...

Firemanray
08-31-2011, 09:11 PM
... I don't run this board nor am I a moderator etc. I've noticed a huge drop in new posts over the last few months. I would hate to see this board die, I've made some friends here and enjoy the comradery (SP?). I'm as guilty as the next guy about lurking and not posting. I just brought this up to encourage everyone to post up!!

bigjim350
08-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Agreed. However the posts on many websites usually drop during the summer months. During summer people are much more busy out doing things. When winter comes all them northern folks get stuck inside on the comp and post away. :D

cantab27
09-01-2011, 12:34 AM
i don't have a life ,shit or a city ,me jeeps broke , me teenage boy thinks i'm a grumpy old man.....my dog ran away,Mrs mentioned something about shes got a headache.. hell this is all i got...i will post away.........living the dream really...........

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 04:11 AM
... I don't run this board nor am I a moderator etc. I've noticed a huge drop in new posts over the last few months. I would hate to see this board die, I've made some friends here and enjoy the comradery (SP?). I'm as guilty as the next guy about lurking and not posting. I just brought this up to encourage everyone to post up!!

Thanks FMR. Yep noticed it to. Jim keeps trying to calm me down with that summer time thing. :D

Paddletrucker
09-01-2011, 09:56 AM
In addition to posting, does it help to use the banner ads to access the various vendor's sites that we're already browsing anyway? I can do that just as easily as using my favorites folder in my browser.

A kayak fishing site that I frequent once asked us to use the Google bar on their site, rather than searching from home pages.

Does any of that do any good? It's easy to do. Of course, so is posting.

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 10:05 AM
In addition to posting, does it help to use the banner ads to access the various vendor's sites that we're already browsing anyway? I can do that just as easily as using my favorites folder in my browser.

A kayak fishing site that I frequent once asked us to use the Google bar on their site, rather than searching from home pages.

Does any of that do any good? It's easy to do. Of course, so is posting.

The site makes "revenue" when you do certain things. :D Google forbids us asking you to do certain things to increase that revenue. :D

I didn't know this at first and asked our members to do certain things, and Google warned me about it. Now I don't ask anymore. :D

What I can ask is if you are going to buy from Amazon, click on the Amazon banner ad on the home page of xjtalk. Then any purchase you make at Amazon xjtalk will be a percentage of the purchase! You don't pay more for the product but some of the money you are spending goes to help support xjtalk.

Amazon is a "Sweet deal!!!" all the way around.

As for our vendors, we don't currently track click throughs but that's in the plans. It will just be for our own information, and perhaps the vendor so they can see what their investment in xjtalk is getting them. They should be able to tell this themselves anyway, but still I'd like to know that we are helping to support the vendors that support us!

Paddletrucker
09-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Oh, OK. I'll remember all of that when I'm doing certain things, then.

xjtalkxjtalkxjtalkxjtalkxjtalkxjtalkxjtalkxjtalk

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Oh, OK. I'll remember all of that when I'm doing certain things, then.

xjtalkxjtalkxjtalkxjtalkxjtalkxjtalkxjtalkxjtalk

lol don't get us in trouble!!!!! :smiley-laughing021:

xj4life2
09-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Well as a vendor I don't track and as for the return on investment.... I have made to many friends here to worry about that. One concern I have is the people I see regestering then there gone, are we doing something wrong ? Next The people that have been here as long as I have, daily , then they just drop off. I realize everybody but Wayne:rolleyes: has a life of some kind but I actually have gotten to know some of these people and start to worry about them after a while. Anyway Before I ramble on, we have pretty much become a tight knit group and need to continue , if posting helps, well I'll do my best to blast away.

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Well as a vendor I don't track and as for the return on investment.... I have made to many friends here to worry about that. One concern I have is the people I see regestering then there gone, are we doing something wrong ? Next The people that have been here as long as I have, daily , then they just drop off. I realize everybody but Wayne:rolleyes: has a life of some kind but I actually have gotten to know some of these people and start to worry about them after a while. Anyway Before I ramble on, we have pretty much become a tight knit group and need to continue , if posting helps, well I'll do my best to blast away.

You are exactly right, about Wayne, oh and I've noticed the other stuff to!

This is my first real attempt at a website and on the whole it has been quite successful. I don't want to give away too much, but we are about to embark on a series of give aways that will hopefully generate a little more activity here. We will also start advertising using Google Ads.

I think one reason people don't post is because they are not sure how they will be treated here. I mean if you're on another site, it would be best to be nervous about posting at the very least.

One member mentioned that he really enjoyed the site, but he wasn't part of the "click" here. Then I got concerned we weren't welcoming people properly. I know it's easy to enjoy the people you know and just leave the people you don't alone.

Paddletrucker
09-01-2011, 10:46 AM
I know it's been talked about before, but it's the friendly atmosphere that make this my #1 XJ site. I found this one late, but I'm registered on a few others, too. I don't intentionally ignore them, and I do browse, but I post more here. I know there's no flaming. No degrading and making another member feel ignorant, either. I like the friendly ribbing that goes on. Take the red/green thing. I think it's hilarious and a blast. I've never bought a vI'ehicle for it's color. I didn't with the Xj, either. It is fun, however, to participate in the friendly back and forth, and know that I'll not be flamed, because I know that anything I post is CERTAINLY in jest and good fun. I've not experienced that on other sites.

I'm not a "car guy" either. I'm an airplane guy. The Jeep started out as an ends to a means and has become something I really enjoy. I am not exactly "mechanically challenged" but I am not a motor head, either. I have driven trucks for a living my whole life. I've grown up on ranches and 4WD pick ups were merely tools. The XJ is the first thing I've ever driven solely because it's FUN to drive. I bought it as a fishing/camping rig, with no intention of being my daily driver. It has become my DD, though, and I really enjoy working on it. I enjoy driving it. I'll enjoy wheeling it. It's the first thing without wings I've ever enjoyed working on. It's really nice to post on a forum that accepts the fact that some things I do and some things I have done. If it sounds fun and I want to, I get out the tools. If I'm not it the mood, I pay someone else. I've been ridiculed for that on other sites.

It's all these things that keep my posts here higher than on other XJ sites. They're good, and I lurk and post, but I like this site as the first XJ site I go to when I sit down at the computer. I think if the good natured attitudes, the supportive nature of Jeeping experienced here, and the great advice is as good to other newbies as it has been to me, it will be fine.

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Speaking of post counts...

Here is how the user's stacked up for the month of August. 1st - 31st
Thank you to all that posted. I have listed those that posted as often as once a day or greater!

Num Posts | Username
268 | 4.3LXJ |
170 | bigjim350 |
165 | cantab27 |
95 | bluedragon436 |
74 | Paddletrucker |
73 | msmoorenburg |
70 | TeXJ |
65 | XJ4IV |
58 | BlueXJ |
56 | jeepxj95 |
53 | Payless 4x |
39 | steph74 |
36 | JENSSEN |
36 | prerunner1982 |
34 | OrangeXJ |
32 | Jamie Lynn |
31 | saar |

LizardRunner
09-01-2011, 10:50 AM
I now feel I need to explain why I sorta dissapeared for the last few weeks. I really don't want anyone to think I went away. Firstly, I had some tribal duties to attend to and that took me four weeks to get through, happily I am now past those tests and am on the last leg of that journey. I then was away because of being asked for help by some people and happily, their troubles are now past them. So, I now am at the point of being able to be back in my XJ home a little more frequently. It is good to be home.

xj4life2
09-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Your last statement I think is something we need to key in a little bit more , mabey a welcome email from a mod ? Post up on the main page or some where here that flamming isn't allowed. I'm on Pirate also so I understand thier fears but am not sure how to get past that. As for the "click" thing, I'm not really seeing that alot here or mabey its just me. If you can think of anything I can do to help out let me know.

4.3LXJ
09-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Speaking of post counts...

Here is how the user's stacked up for the month of August. 1st - 31st
Thank you to all that posted. I have listed those that posted as often as once a day or greater!

Num Posts | Username
268 | 4.3LXJ |
170 | bigjim350 |
165 | cantab27 |
95 | bluedragon436 |
74 | Paddletrucker |
73 | msmoorenburg |
70 | TeXJ |
65 | XJ4IV |
58 | BlueXJ |
56 | jeepxj95 |
53 | Payless 4x |
39 | steph74 |
36 | JENSSEN |
36 | prerunner1982 |
34 | OrangeXJ |
32 | Jamie Lynn |
31 | saar |

So do I get a prize now?

xj4life2
09-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I guess that makes you a post hog !!!!! lol lol Yes steve your prize is in the mail

4.3LXJ
09-01-2011, 10:55 AM
I guess that makes you a post hog !!!!! lol lol Yes steve your prize is in the mail

Is it coming with my check?

xj4life2
09-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Ya but I think I forgot to sign it :)

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Your last statement I think is something we need to key in a little bit more , mabey a welcome email from a mod ? Post up on the main page or some where here that flamming isn't allowed. I'm on Pirate also so I understand thier fears but am not sure how to get past that. As for the "click" thing, I'm not really seeing that alot here or mabey its just me. If you can think of anything I can do to help out let me know.

People in the click can't see it. ;)

xj4life2
09-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Hmmm good point never thought of it that way, mabey we should all take a harder look at what we do on here and avoid the "click"

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I now feel I need to explain why I sorta dissapeared for the last few weeks. I really don't want anyone to think I went away. Firstly, I had some tribal duties to attend to and that took me four weeks to get through, happily I am now past those tests and am on the last leg of that journey. I then was away because of being asked for help by some people and happily, their troubles are now past them. So, I now am at the point of being able to be back in my XJ home a little more frequently. It is good to be home.

Hey don't feel that way. You are always missed, but no one is required to be here. No guilt here! Just fun!

Paddletrucker
09-01-2011, 11:02 AM
The click thing is easy to get over, in my opinion.

I've learned this from light hearted banter on airplane and kayak fishing sites. There's no secret to "getting in" an internet forum click.

It's simple. POST A LOT. Read a lot. Try to contribute. Don't flame. If a flame does take place, ignore it. Oh, and post pictures. Most who frequent the forums LOVE pics. I think every site I'm a member on, whether it be aviation, kayak fishing, rodeoing, or trucking has the "THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS" smiley:D. Mostly it's the lack of flaming and ridicule. it makes a huge difference for me. I don't want to argue. I can get all of that I want without looking at my computer.:p

I think not being flamed for miniscule crap by people who are what I call "Forum Rambo's" hiding behind a keyboard is a really big deal.

Clicks? Hell, make your own click. Just post up a bunch!!!:thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Ya but I think I forgot to sign it :)

No problem, I will sign it for you. No extra charge:innocent0002:

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Hmmm good point never thought of it that way, mabey we should all take a harder look at what we do on here and avoid the "click"

I think clicks are fine as long they are not closed clicks. It's normal for people to form a group. I like your suggestion about admins and moderators sending new members private messages, or e-mails welcoming them to the group.

I'm also hoping that the possibility of getting something for free will make people get over the hump of posting. Breaking the ice and taking a chance.

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 11:08 AM
The click thing is easy to get over, in my opinion.

I've learned this from light hearted banter on airplane and kayak fishing sites. There's no secret to "getting in" an internet forum click.

It's simple. POST A LOT. Read a lot. Try to contribute. Don't flame. If a flame does take place, ignore it. Oh, and post pictures. Most who frequent the forums LOVE pics. I think every site I'm a member on, whether it be aviation, kayak fishing, rodeoing, or trucking has the "THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS" smiley:D. I am really compuumakes a huge difference for me. I don't want to argue. I can get all of that I want without looking at my computer.:p

I think not being flamed for miniscule crap by people who are what I call "Forum Rambo's" hiding behind a keyboard is a really big deal.

Clicks? Hell, make your own click. Just post up a bunch!!!:thumbsup:

Posting pictures! That is one of our "xjtalk" biggest weak points. We make it difficult to post pictures! This has been an expense thing as we need more equipment to be able to store large numbers of pictures. We will be addressing this soon as well, so that uploading pictures to this site will become much much easier! :D

LizardRunner
09-01-2011, 11:14 AM
I have no guilt about going mia Tony, I just wanted everyone to know what was going on.

Paddletrucker
09-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I screwed up my last post. I accidentally deleted half of it.:bang:

I learned most of my computing "skills" from internet forums. I never had a computer before 2005, and then it became necessary for my business.

I found forums real fast and couldn't believe what I'd been missing out on with my hobbies. I learned photobucket really fast. Almost every site will work with it. I understand it's better for the site, too.

I don't think xjtalk makes it hard to post pics. You just gotta know how to use an off site photo sharing site.

Maybe you could make a photobucket, etc. tutorial a sticky and include it everywhere a newbie might find themselves.

DANG IT!!! Deleted half of this one, too!!!:mad::mad::mad: I MUST get this track pad fixed. I need to NOT drop laptops from the seat of my semi to hard concrete parking lots.:boohoo:

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I screwed up my last post. I accidentally deleted half of it.:bang:

I learned most of my computing "skills" from internet forums. I never had a computer before 2005, and then it became necessary for my business.

I found forums real fast and couldn't believe what I'd been missing out on with my hobbies. I learned photobucket really fast. Almost every site will work with it. I understand it's better for the site, too.

I don't think xjtalk makes it hard to post pics. You just gotta know how to use an off site photo sharing site.

Maybe you could make a photobucket, etc. tutorial a sticky and include it everywhere a newbie might find themselves.

DANG IT!!! Deleted half of this one, too!!!:mad::mad::mad: I MUST get this track pad fixed. I need to NOT drop laptops from the seat of my semi to hard concrete parking lots.:boohoo:

:D :rolleye0012: :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=174) :rolleye0012:

LizardRunner
09-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah ! I have to start using photo bucket and that tutorial is really good Tony, thanks for putting that up.

4.3LXJ
09-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Posting pictures! That is one of our "xjtalk" biggest weak points. We make it difficult to post pictures! This has been an expense thing as we need more equipment to be able to store large numbers of pictures. We will be addressing this soon as well, so that uploading pictures to this site will become much much easier! :D

Tony, all of the sites I am on use hosting the same way we do. The only problem is when someone new to forums in general log on. It took me a few days to figure it out too.

LizardRunner
09-01-2011, 12:10 PM
what we had at my now defunct Sabre Talk site was a page called "Introduce yourself" new members were encouraged at signup to post to this page so all would know when someone new signed up. As one of the Administrators, I got an email notification of every new signup. Here I find out about new members from other's posting a welcome message.

Carves
09-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Just a little "bump" for the need more posts thread ...... :D

Coupla thoughts ....

The welcome newby thread is a real good idea :thumbsup:

Maybe less posts by 4.3LXJ would allow some pic hosting on the site bandwidth ?? ........ and maybe ban pics of those damned green jeeps ?? :rolleye0012:

:D

One would have to be fairly delicate :boohoo: ..... to presume that there was any " cliqueyness " here .....

Write ups and How To's are always good .... Doesnt matter if they duplicate, as different people do the same things - different ways .... which makes for good info.

4.3LXJ
09-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Just a little "bump" for the need more posts thread ...... :D

Coupla thoughts ....

The welcome newby thread is a real good idea :thumbsup:

Maybe less posts by 4.3LXJ would allow some pic hosting on the site bandwidth ?? ........ and maybe ban pics of those damned green jeeps ?? :rolleye0012:

:D

One would have to be fairly delicate :boohoo: ..... to presume that there was any " cliqueyness " here .....

Write ups and How To's are always good .... Doesnt matter if they duplicate, as different people do the same things - different ways .... which makes for good info.

Never !!!

Done in green for all those green Jeeps

Firemanray
09-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I agree with paddletrucker, the "click" here is easy to get into. You just can't be shy, and, oh yeah, you gotta understand if you're not getting "picked" on your not having fun. Just pick on the guys with GREEN jeeps and you'll do fine!!:D

I've learned so much about New Zealand from chatting w/ Wayne and reading his post's. Sometimes I forget this forum's intent is to focus on Jeep Xj's. We have folks like Saar and others I can't remember right now that can enlighten us on other cultures and life styles. It keeps it interesting!

4.3LXJ
09-01-2011, 06:24 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I agree with paddletrucker, the "click" here is easy to get into. You just can't be shy, and, oh yeah, you gotta understand if you're not getting "picked" on your not having fun. Just pick on the guys with GREEN jeeps and you'll do fine!!:D

I've learned so much about New Zealand from chatting w/ Wayne and reading his post's. Sometimes I forget this forum's intent is to focus on Jeep Xj's. We have folks like Saar and others I can't remember right now that can enlighten us on other cultures and life styles. It keeps it interesting!

Yeah I have a lot of fun here.

4.3LXJ
09-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I like having non US members here too. Learning about other cultures is fun to me.

cantab27
09-01-2011, 11:17 PM
and we have all learnt about earthquakes.....still think chat a has a bit to do with post count... should be in a chat room...away from main page thingy.... tech still gets brought up on there a bit ....tis a cool thing chat but i think in cost in post........ need more green jeep post , but shit they are so bada$$ they never brake down.......
now i a wait the flaming....

bluedragon436
09-01-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't think the chat costs post counts.. It might cost a few, but not too many.. honestly I think it keeps us from having random threads on things that don't have anything to do with Jeeps.. I know we have a good time in the chat talking about all kinds of things.. learning about other cultures!!

cantab27
09-01-2011, 11:34 PM
drop chat for a week and see what happens ,,,, have a looke there's tech shit on there now which could be a post or a post bumped up..........