PDA

View Full Version : Pure gas (NO ethanol) MPG results.

Paddletrucker
08-31-2011, 12:02 PM
I spent the last two weeks running ONLY non-ethanol 87 octane in my XJ.

I've been running regular, 87 octane 10% ethanol gas from QuikTrip ever since I had the Jeep. I've pretty much been getting 22 mpg on that gas.

One time, I got 20.8, but I had the kayak strapped to the top for almost the whole tank and it was windy all week. I was hoping to get away one morning after work for a little fishing, so I left the boat on top all week. I can DEFINITELY feel that 16 foot kayak up there!! Usually, though, it doesn't bother the mpg's for it to be one there for a couple of fishing outings Sat. and Sun., even though I can feel the wind catching it. For the most part, I'll get right around 22mpg, not matter what I do or where I go. I've got a little over, too, with a tick under 23 being the best I've managed to get.

So, the last two weeks, I've been driving out of my way to get 100% ethanol. I put my third tank into it this morning. I have yet to get over 20.5 mpg running the straight gas.:confused:

1st tank was 20.0mpg. 2nd tank was 20.4mpg. 3rd tank was 20.1 mpg. Keep in mind that I drive very consistantly back and forth to work and to the lake or river on the weekends with the kayak on top. The only time I've ever noticed a difference due to the kayak was the time stated above.

Also, I don't like the way she runs on the straight stuff, either. Seems a little sluggish to me. Usually, it gets seriously with the program. I'm having to run my gears out further getting on the highway on the full blast stuff. It also takes a couple of extra turns to start, for some reason on the 100% stuff.

For the next two weeks, I'm going to go back to the 10% ethanol QT gas and then after that, I've located another station that sells 100% no ethanol gas. I'll try them for a few tanks and see if it's simply a fuel quality question.

I was certainly not expecting to see a decrease in mileage and performance running "the good stuff." Anybody else try it out? What results did you see?

4.3LXJ
08-31-2011, 12:34 PM
I can't say much about the XJ, but when I changed residence from WA state to CA which has ethanol in the gas I got an immediate drop from 16mpg to 14mpg highway. I also drive very consistently. That is with a stock carbureted 350

We took a big hit recently on the 87 octane here when they went to 15% ethanol. Our milage dropped on the XJ and our Subaru by an additional 25%. We couldn't believe where it was going. I started putting 91 octane in the Jeep to keep my 14 - 16 mpg town milage.

Mudderoy
08-31-2011, 01:13 PM
I spent the last two weeks running ONLY non-ethanol 87 octane in my XJ.

I've been running regular, 87 octane 10% ethanol gas from QuikTrip ever since I had the Jeep. I've pretty much been getting 22 mpg on that gas.

One time, I got 20.8, but I had the kayak strapped to the top for almost the whole tank and it was windy all week. I was hoping to get away one morning after work for a little fishing, so I left the boat on top all week. I can DEFINITELY feel that 16 foot kayak up there!! Usually, though, it doesn't bother the mpg's for it to be one there for a couple of fishing outings Sat. and Sun., even though I can feel the wind catching it. For the most part, I'll get right around 22mpg, not matter what I do or where I go. I've got a little over, too, with a tick under 23 being the best I've managed to get.

So, the last two weeks, I've been driving out of my way to get 100% ethanol. I put my third tank into it this morning. I have yet to get over 20.5 mpg running the straight gas.:confused:

1st tank was 20.0mpg. 2nd tank was 20.4mpg. 3rd tank was 20.1 mpg. Keep in mind that I drive very consistantly back and forth to work and to the lake or river on the weekends with the kayak on top. The only time I've ever noticed a difference due to the kayak was the time stated above.

Also, I don't like the way she runs on the straight stuff, either. Seems a little sluggish to me. Usually, it gets seriously with the program. I'm having to run my gears out further getting on the highway on the full blast stuff. It also takes a couple of extra turns to start, for some reason on the 100% stuff.

For the next two weeks, I'm going to go back to the 10% ethanol QT gas and then after that, I've located another station that sells 100% no ethanol gas. I'll try them for a few tanks and see if it's simply a fuel quality question.

I was certainly not expecting to see a decrease in mileage and performance running "the good stuff." Anybody else try it out? What results did you see?

Great information, thanks.

steph74
08-31-2011, 02:17 PM
We have 85 octane here and most of it has ethanol.... gas mileage usually on the lower end of the expected spectrum too...

Paddletrucker
08-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Hmmmm....maybe I ought to try the 89 or 91 octane stuff, just to see what it's like.

Mudderoy
08-31-2011, 02:35 PM
Hmmmm....maybe I ought to try the 89 or 91 octane stuff, just to see what it's like.

I wish I had measured my mpg prior to the lift and tires. :(

LizardRunner
08-31-2011, 03:56 PM
This is caused by your computer setting its self up for the +ethanol fuel. If you are going to change fuels, don't forget to reset the computer so it will relearn and adjust for the new fuel.

Mudderoy
08-31-2011, 04:47 PM
This is caused by your computer setting its self up for the +ethanol fuel. If you are going to change fuels, don't forget to reset the computer so it will relearn and adjust for the new fuel.

I was wondering about that. Wow that's amazing that it can handle a change like that!

Paddletrucker
08-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Maybe I'll go back and try some more of the non-ethanol stuff and reset the computer. I didn't do that.

prerunner1982
09-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Paddle, please report back with your findings after resetting the computer as I am surprised by your findings. My experience is just the opposite. I gained 1-2mpg when switching from E10 to Non Ethanol. I however, did not reset my computer... maybe I should, wonder if I will get more mpg? :D

LizardRunner
09-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I get about 20 mpg using 100% light hydrocarbons, 18 mpg when using 90% light hydrocarbons, 10% ethanol. Now for a way off beat comparison, my F-5000 cars ran 100% ethanol, with almost 800 hp those engines got 1.5 mpg. I had a McClaren engined car that ran pure ethanol once and it got around 10 mpg in town driving but around 14 mpg on the california freeways.

bobt
09-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Just a quick note from my experiments.Renix system respond very well to the use of premium fuel.The increase in mileage more than makes up for the added cost.

4.3LXJ
09-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Time for a chemistry lesson. The idea of putting ethanol in gasoline is an idea sold to government as green because the CO2 from emissions is recycled into more corn and thus we are saving the planet. The decreased milage is due admittedly to less BTUs in ethanol. But as stated above, you can do some wonderful things with turbos and pure ethanol. However, the one thing government has refused to admit is that ethanol, with its chemical composition with a hydroxyl molecule on it, (which is what makes it an alcohol) makes a stronger hydrogen bond to gasoline molecules than other gas molecules like would normally be done. Now if I haven't bored you to death yet, the result of this is that the alcohol makes the gasoline molecules a little sticky causing them not to vaporize as much as they should. This causes incomplete burning in the combustion chamber resulting in less horsepower and resulting in less milage. But not to worry, it all gets burned in your cat, making them run hotter. That is one reason why if you have trouble passing smog, just put in a tank of non ethanol fuel in and many cars will pass where they would have failed before.

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Just a quick note from my experiments.Renix system respond very well to the use of premium fuel.The increase in mileage more than makes up for the added cost.

ooo that's interesting and good information to have. :thanx:

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Time for a chemistry lesson. The idea of putting ethanol in gasoline is an idea sold to government as green because the CO2 from emissions is recycled into more corn and thus we are saving the planet. The decreased milage is due admittedly to less BTUs in ethanol. But as stated above, you can do some wonderful things with turbos and pure ethanol. However, the one thing government has refused to admit is that ethanol, with its chemical composition with a hydroxyl molecule on it, (which is what makes it an alcohol) makes a stronger hydrogen bond to gasoline molecules than other gas molecules like would normally be done. Now if I haven't bored you to death yet, the result of this is that the alcohol makes the gasoline molecules a little sticky causing them not to vaporize as much as they should. This causes incomplete burning in the combustion chamber resulting in less horsepower and resulting in less milage. But not to worry, it all gets burned in your cat, making them run hotter. That is one reason why if you have trouble passing smog, just put in a tank of non ethanol fuel in and many cars will pass where they would have failed before.

:thanx: Not bored at all. I should advise you though that in the past people were kept from voting in elections because they were deemed too stupid to vote. If things continue the way they are you may be barred from voting, obviously being too smart to vote. :D

LizardRunner
09-01-2011, 02:16 PM
best thing about running ethanol is... you can make your own and if you have to syphon any out, it won't kill you as long as your burning "corn squeezins" as pappy would say. It's not a hard process and the system doesn't have to be expensive for making your own. just be sure the revenours know your just making fuel and not drinking whiskey.

the cat is a bane on man, what we need is an afterburner to make full use of the left behind power for forward momentum. cat heat is just energy lost.

4.3LXJ
09-01-2011, 02:22 PM
If we was makin shine, we would need faster Jeeps. :D

LizardRunner
09-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm all for faster jeeps steve, always looking for more horse power! probably why my bike sports a stroker motor from the Honda Race Shop. I am almost hoping my 4.0 goes away, then I will have to buy one of the stroker motors for da lizard.

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm all for faster jeeps steve, always looking for more horse power! probably why my bike sports a stroker motor from the Honda Race Shop. I am almost hoping my 4.0 goes away, then I will have to buy one of the stroker motors for da lizard.

Chances are pretty good I'll be building one "stroker" shortly. I'm going to get a used 4.0 and build it and then when it's complete swap it into the 98.

4.3LXJ
09-01-2011, 03:52 PM

Then you could moonlight by running moonshine :rolleye0012:

Mudderoy
09-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Then you could moonlight by running moonshine :rolleye0012:

You could trade your illegal alcohol for some illegal gas!

4.3LXJ
09-01-2011, 03:58 PM
You could trade your illegal alcohol for some illegal gas!

Like 104 octane?:pray:

LizardRunner
09-05-2011, 08:28 PM
104 is availabe if you set up to run av gas. just get the blue. as for shine running... well I wouldn't ever self incriminate.