PDA

View Full Version : Texas speed limits.

Firemanray
08-30-2011, 08:53 PM
"Speed limits in Texas are set by the 85th percentile method, which represents the speed the majority of drivers are traveling at or below. This is a sound engineering principle used to set speed limits on highways nationwide for the past 60 years."

Based on that quote from TXDOT the speed limits in my area should be as follows:
2 lane rural highway: 80 m.p.h.
4 lane divided highway: 90+ m.p.h.

Check out what we're getting Sept. 1,
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/west_university/news/legislation-regulating-speed-limits-takes-effect-sept/article_5f4337b9-51b3-54be-862d-ff1fe9a31d50.html :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
08-30-2011, 11:03 PM
"Speed limits in Texas are set by the 85th percentile method, which represents the speed the majority of drivers are traveling at or below. This is a sound engineering principle used to set speed limits on highways nationwide for the past 60 years."

Based on that quote from TXDOT the speed limits in my area should be as follows:
2 lane rural highway: 80 m.p.h.
4 lane divided highway: 90+ m.p.h.

Check out what we're getting Sept. 1,
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/west_university/news/legislation-regulating-speed-limits-takes-effect-sept/article_5f4337b9-51b3-54be-862d-ff1fe9a31d50.html :thumbsup:

I need bigger tires, a higher set of gears, or a hell of a tow rig!

cantab27
08-31-2011, 12:51 AM
yall boys red jeeps be straggly to do speed limits anyways..... unless on a trailer... just saying.....(jk..)

Paddletrucker
08-31-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm glad they decided to do this. ESPECIALLY the abolishment of the split speeds for trucks and the slower night time speeds. As a truck driver, I don't care if it's 55, 65, 75, or 85....just as long as everybody is going the same speed, or close to it.

My least favorite places to drive, and the places where I have the most close calls are places that have split speed limits, where trucks are regulated 10mph slower than cars. Crazy dangerous! I'm glad my native state of Texas is modernizing their laws to make driving easier.

I never understood why Texas was afraid of the dark, either. I guess it's been that way ever since cars and headlights were less advanced than they are now. Why make everybody slow down after dark? They don't enforce it, anyway. I've been running into Dallas every night since 2004, and if you're doing 65 on I-35, I-45, or US-75, you'd better have a freaking ramp on the back of your vehicle, 'cause you're in the way!! I've been doing 70mph, trying to keep up with traffic in the wee hours of the morning and had troopers BLOW by me. The dark "Night 65 MPH" signs are a waste of metal.

All's I can say is HATS OFF TO TEXAS!!! These days, most states are making it LESS enjoyable to drive semi's in. Texas is not only making it nicer for us big trucks, but I believe with all my heart that allowing us to run the same speed as other traffic will be safer for the general public. LOTS LESS nail biting behind the wheel of a big rig!!

4.3LXJ
09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
In CA, they apparently watch the big rigs. But on a four lane they don't get too excited until you hit 85. On I10 the fast lane is 95+