PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lifting my jeep

xjeepx
08-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Hello i have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport and i want to put a 4" Lift in it. I've been looking online for lift kits, and for lift kits from the stickied thread on this sight. I am new to this and have one question: If i buy a lift kit, will i need to buy rear leaf springs, or is that usually included with the kit? I've heard from people that the lift kit takes care of the front, and the rear, while from others that it only takes care of the front. Any information will he helpful. And if you know a cheap, but good 4" lift kit and know where to purchase it would you please let me know, Thanks.

bigjim350
08-28-2011, 01:12 AM
The 4" and 4.5" lifts usually come with either new leaf spring packs or add-a-leafs for the rear. If you have the money you will be much happier with the new leaf packs. The add-a-leafs tend to sag over time. The 4.5" Rough Country x-series is a very complete kit at a very good price. You can either get it from them directly or from a few of the vendors here.

JENSSEN
08-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Regardless of what lift kit you want now height or brand buy the next stage up size wise,.. Save yourself the money it's addictive

JeepinOutfitters
08-28-2011, 08:43 AM
The 4" and 4.5" lifts usually come with either new leaf spring packs or add-a-leafs for the rear. If you have the money you will be much happier with the new leaf packs. The add-a-leafs tend to sag over time. The 4.5" Rough Country x-series is a very complete kit at a very good price. You can either get it from them directly or from a few of the vendors here.

X2.

Kits that only take care of the front are usually called Leveling Kits, and they're usually only for trucks, since they often sit tail high from the factory. The JK has a bit of a rake too so there are leveling kits for it, but even those usually also include rear coil spacers.

Anything available for XJs that's billed as a "lift" will do the front and rear of the Jeep.

Like bigjim said, the Rough Country 4.5" X-Series is a very complete kit at a very good price. RC even recently upgraded the shocks to their new N2.0 nitro shocks, so now it's an even better kit than before. :thumbsup:

bluedragon436
08-28-2011, 09:29 AM
I would def. look into the RC X-series kits.. but you might want to look into going for the next larger height.. trust me.. I was going to just do a 4.5" lift as my XJ is a DD.. but after getting talk into it by much wiser and experienced folks... I am glad that I went ahead and went with the larger 6.5" of lift.. which ended up being 7.5" of lift in the end.. I def. am way more happier with the larger lift then I would have been with the 4.5" of lift.. I would have been spending way more to upgrade within 6 months of my initial install of the 4.5" lift.. just my $.02!!