PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me what this is?????

Paddletrucker
08-27-2011, 09:27 AM
This thing is glued to the inside of my windshield. I HATE things being there. I have already removed the annoying review mirror. I'm used to driving without one of those in big trucks. They annoy me in my personal vehicles, so they're removed.

The only thing left up there is this little doohickey right here. It's one plastic box with a smaller, longer, rectangular shaped box coming out of the bottom of it. There's a wire that runs up over the head liner. I can't trace the wire without removing the head liner. I'll do that if I have to, but if any of you know what it is and I don't want to keep what ever it is, I'll cut the wire and remove it.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/picsofnate/IMG_0602.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/picsofnate/IMG_0601.jpg

Indiana Jeep
08-27-2011, 09:30 AM
It looks like an antenna. Maybe from an aftermarket remote start if one was installed. Other than that or a security system I can't think of anything it would be for.

Paddletrucker
08-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Well, I did learn the hard way that my Jeep that I bought for a thousand bucks has an alarm with keyless entry. :smiley-laughing021: Maybe that's what it is.

I found a key fob in a box that came with the Jeep. The box contained all it's maintenance records, the owner's manual, a spare gear shift knob:hmmmm2:, and a few other odds and ends. The fob has two large buttons and four smaller buttons. One of the smaller buttons is an LED light, the two larger ones lock or unlock the doors. The alarm is armed when the doors are locked with the key fob and disarmed when it's used to unlock it. Never had an alarm before. Maybe one of those buttons is an remote start feature. That'd be hilarious. My 200K mile, thousand dollar, cash for clunkers rescue having a remote start...dents and all.:headbag:

After finding the key fob in the box last week, I think it took me about 20 seconds to set the alarm off to where I couldn't get it to shut up. It would quit for about 5 seconds and then go back to screaming. I finally figured out that one of the larger buttons turned the alarm off, and that's when I discovered it also locked and unlocked the doors.

Maybe I need to PUT THE JEEP IN NUETRAL:D and see if one of the buttons will start it. I KNOW the Jeep will start and take off across my yard if the key is engaged and it's in 2nd gear with my feet hanging outside and my body lying in the floor boards.:rolleye0012: while trying fooling with something under the dash.:bang::bang:

Thanks, I'm going to go out and experiment now, WITH THE JEEP IN NEUTRAL!!!:D:rolleye0012::smiley-laughing021:

Paddletrucker
08-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Well, either it doesn't have remote start, or my dumb country ass just can't figure it out.:smiley-laughing021:

I guess it's an antenna for that alarm. Maybe I won't cut it off. I could care less about the alarm, but the keyless entry will come in handy heading across the parking lot where I park my big truck to the Jeep when it's raining like a SOB!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Metlic53
08-27-2011, 10:19 AM
my alarm system on mine has the same thing on it, i got a viper security system installed after it got stolen. i could've had the remote start feature for an extra 250 bucks but i decided i could wait till i got inside my car lol