PDA

View Full Version : Two Stories, two sides...

Mudderoy
08-25-2011, 07:31 PM
You know how there are always two stories to the same situation? Actually more depending on how many people were there and you ask.

I was almost home today and like what has happened time and time again people don't see or don't care about the big red Jeep coming down the road, they just pull out in front of me.

Since this guy (I later found out) in his cute little box he was driving was pulling into the same turning lane as me, it was all I could do to stop. I guess I scared him because he flipped me off.

That's fine, I mean it's illegal but as a CHL holder there isn't really much I can do about it. Tricky bastards wrote the law in such a way to keep you out of fights. :D Seriously it wasn't that big of a deal to me. People get upset, life goes on.

So being at the far back of the line for the left turn, true to form this guy is poking along and then it looks like he is going to turn into the Chase bank, so I go around him. Just a thousand yards up is my turn into the subdivision. This guy turns in behind me, I suspect following me, so I pull over. To see if this is his turn or he is following me. He pulls up along side where he proceeds to call me a series of names and ask me what right I have to run him off the road. Which I didn't. I tried to explain to him that he pulled out in front of me from Randalls and it was all I could do to stop. Then he wanted to know why I "tried" to run him off the road but he wouldn't shut up long enough to listen.

So here I thought this guy was being an a$$hole but I honestly believe he believes what he was saying.

The really funny thing was since I wasn't "scared" or apologetic, he started looking for things to threaten me with. He noticed the xjtalk.com sticker and read it off to me. He said "Is that your employer?!?!?!" He threaten to contact them and tell them how I run people off the road. I just told him no, go ahead. He continued to push it and I just had to say, it's my website, so if you contact them you'll be contacting me. Then he said he'd find out who I did work for. What do you think would happen if someone called your job, wanted to speak to H.R. or your boss so they could complain about how you drive? I mean if you are a delivery driver, Pizza, commercial trucker it makes sense. I think if someone called me about an employee I'd say "How does this involve me or the company I own/work for?" But I guess that is what happens when you get upset, logic goes out the window. Maybe that's why he wasn't seeing my side of things. He was scared, mad, and wanted to scare me, without getting out of his car of course. :D

Then he tells me to drive away, that he knows this isn't my street. I told him no, I live a couple of streets up, come on by and we'll talk. He declined, continued his stream of expletives and after several people honking at him (as he was parked in the middle of the road) he made a "U" turn and slid back out on to Fry road.

I mean I understand the guy getting scared, thinking he was about to die as my Jeep plowed into him. I can even understand how he misunderstood when I went around him, but at the same time he knows that he pulled out in front of me, or he knows he didn't look to see if it was clear.

He knows he was purposely taking the turn on to Fry slowly (probably cause he was trying to teach me a lesson) and I took it as some idiot (I really thought it was a girl driving) that doesn't signal or really very comfortable driving. You know the ones that either seem to be 80 years old and can't see very well, or very timid in their driving.

I think this was the vehicle and approximate color of it. If you see him, and you're in your Jeep, honk and wave.
http://images.pictureshunt.com/pics/r/red_kia_soul-6724.jpg
All this occurred at about 7pm near the intersection of Morton and Fry Rd. Katy, Texas.

Maybe "if we're lucky" he'll sign up as a user and post his side of the story. He didn't believe me, in fact I think he asked if I lied to my wife too. :rotfl2:

He was at least in his 40's, I hope he didn't get so angry it effects him medically.

Firemanray
08-25-2011, 08:42 PM
CHL??? Me too...." I was in fear of my life, I felt threatened my his angry attitude!":D

cantab27
08-25-2011, 10:42 PM
should have got out and slapped him... not for being a ass but for driving around in that tin box......did he have crocks on...............

bluedragon436
08-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Wow.. I hate people that want to sit there and flip you off, or call you names because they f**ked up!! I honestly think those type of people piss me off way more than the ones that just pull out in front of you..

InfernoGirl
08-25-2011, 10:57 PM
......did he have crocks on...............

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Paddletrucker
08-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Tony, if you run over some little rolling chick cube with your Jeep, you'd better post some good flexing pictures before you drive off of it!!:D:D

Being a professional truck driver, this is a topic near to my heart. I've been driving over 120,000 miles per year for 17 years now. I've been extraordinarily lucky in that I've never had an accident (or gotten a ticket or fine), but I've been really, really close. People always think they're right. The bigger the vehicle you're in, the more innocent they think they are, the more evil and insidious you are, and I have no explanation as to why. I've been flipped off more times than I care to think about, and 99 out of 100 times, I was driving straight, at a constant speed, in the correct lane, without changing lanes, where I was supposed to be, but for some reason, what ever happened was my fault. Lots of times, I'm flipped off without even knowing why. You learn to do what you did. Be cool, and grow some thick skin. Maybe tell the story and joke about it later to people who'll understand. The important thing here is that, from what you've posted, it looks to me like you were alert and paying attention to the road and avoided an accident and possible injuries that would not have been your fault. Then you were berated for that. But, whatever. You were the better driver, and later the cooler head. So, good job for keeping the other guy safe in spite of himself and not losing your temper later. It isn't always easy.

I could post stories like yours until I wore the letters off of my keyboard. I've been called things that would make mechanics and sailors blush. The up side is I get to learn lots of new funny insults to use in a jokingly way later. It happens, and the more technology we have at our fingertips and the bigger hurry the world is in, the worse it gets. There's no patience on the road ways any more. None. "I'm late, you're in my way, and you're going too slow. Oh, crap. I've got to answer this text." It's a recipe for anger and road rage.

One cool thing about the guy wanting to contact your employer. I've got my cell phone number posted on my truck with my company's name. the company is me and only me. I'm a one man show. I have an ABSOLUTE BLAST fielding those phone calls. They'll call the number on the truck and I always answer, "Nate's Trucking, what can I do for you?" It's the way I always answer. It could be, and usually is, a customer or freight broker. Of course, if it's someone calling to complain about "my driver" the fun begins because they don't know they're talking to the guy who they just flipped off. One interesting thing, though. I've never, NOT ONE SOLITARY TIME, had somebody tell the truth to "the company" about what really happened. The story usually contains me driving aggressively, flipping them off, swerving all over the road, making lude gestures to the wife or daughter, but NEVER what happened.

I have a few things I like to do. One, is to tell them to hold while I "put them in contact with Bob in the safety department." Then they have to be transferred to Frank, then Calvin, then Joe, then Marty, then Larry, then Curly, sometimes even Moe. It's amazing how many times and how long they'll wait. I make a game out of trying not to laugh. Sometimes I'll even hum some elevator music while they're "on hold." You can find some really silly ways to amuse yourself after 10 hours of driving. :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

SOmetimes, I'll tell them that "Yes, I'm looking at the video from the truck's on-board camera system, and I see what happened and will be reporting THEIR plate number and vehicle description to the highway patrol expeditiously." :smiley-laughing021: I've got all kinds of responses to that. Even had a woman who flipped me off and threw a glass bottle out her window at me call to "have my driver's job" and I pulled that on her. She started crying and begged me not to call the Indiana State Patrol because her parole officer would be mad. :D:rolleye0012:

My inner child is a mean little bastard.;)

Mudderoy
08-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Tony, if you run over some little rolling chick cube with your Jeep, you'd better post some good flexing pictures before you drive off of it!!:D:D

Being a professional truck driver, this is a topic near to my heart. I've been driving over 120,000 miles per year for 17 years now. I've been extraordinarily lucky in that I've never had an accident (or gotten a ticket or fine), but I've been really, really close. People always think they're right. The bigger the vehicle you're in, the more innocent they think they are, the more evil and insidious you are, and I have no explanation as to why. I've been flipped off more times than I care to think about, and 99 out of 100 times, I was driving straight, at a constant speed, in the correct lane, without changing lanes, where I was supposed to be, but for some reason, what ever happened was my fault. Lots of times, I'm flipped off without even knowing why. You learn to do what you did. Be cool, and grow some thick skin. Maybe tell the story and joke about it later to people who'll understand. The important thing here is that, from what you've posted, it looks to me like you were alert and paying attention to the road and avoided an accident and possible injuries that would not have been your fault. Then you were berated for that. But, whatever. You were the better driver, and later the cooler head. So, good job for keeping the other guy safe in spite of himself and not losing your temper later. It isn't always easy.

I could post stories like yours until I wore the letters off of my keyboard. I've been called things that would make mechanics and sailors blush. The up side is I get to learn lots of new funny insults to use in a jokingly way later. It happens, and the more technology we have at our fingertips and the bigger hurry the world is in, the worse it gets. There's no patience on the road ways any more. None. "I'm late, you're in my way, and you're going too slow. Oh, crap. I've got to answer this text." It's a recipe for anger and road rage.

One cool thing about the guy wanting to contact your employer. I've got my cell phone number posted on my truck with my company's name. the company is me and only me. I'm a one man show. I have an ABSOLUTE BLAST fielding those phone calls. They'll call the number on the truck and I always answer, "Nate's Trucking, what can I do for you?" It's the way I always answer. It could be, and usually is, a customer or freight broker. Of course, if it's someone calling to complain about "my driver" the fun begins because they don't know they're talking to the guy who they just flipped off. One interesting thing, though. I've never, NOT ONE SOLITARY TIME, had somebody tell the truth to "the company" about what really happened. The story usually contains me driving aggressively, flipping them off, swerving all over the road, making lude gestures to the wife or daughter, but NEVER what happened.

I have a few things I like to do. One, is to tell them to hold while I "put them in contact with Bob in the safety department." Then they have to be transferred to Frank, then Calvin, then Joe, then Marty, then Larry, then Curly, sometimes even Moe. It's amazing how many times and how long they'll wait. I make a game out of trying not to laugh. Sometimes I'll even hum some elevator music while they're "on hold." You can find some really silly ways to amuse yourself after 10 hours of driving. :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

SOmetimes, I'll tell them that "Yes, I'm looking at the video from the truck's on-board camera system, and I see what happened and will be reporting THEIR plate number and vehicle description to the highway patrol expeditiously." :smiley-laughing021: I've got all kinds of responses to that. Even had a woman who flipped me off and threw a glass bottle out her window at me call to "have my driver's job" and I pulled that on her. She started crying and begged me not to call the Indiana State Patrol because her parole officer would be mad. :D:rolleye0012:

My inner child is a mean little bastard.;)

I am seriously considering a dash cam. In the past two days 3 cars have pulled out in front of me. I'm in a stealth vehicle I tell you! Actually what it is, is Houston traffic and everyone drives aggressively. I'm driving aggressively (as in with a purpose) and the people that I really don't think will be stupid enough to pull out in front of me do. Then I believe they are surprised when I don't brake. I just check the slow lane and go around them.

Yeah I guess it's good that these things don't happen too often. With a little luck I may get it set up so I can show case them when they do on YouTube and here. :D

Paddletrucker
08-26-2011, 04:33 PM
I've got a video dash cam in my semi. I'll most likely use it in my Jeep after I get it ready for off roading. It's not real expensive. It's not the highest quality, but adequate to protect yourself. It cost a hundred bucks for the most basic model and uses an SD card. It continuously records over and over in two minute segments. If you need the video, take the SD card out and download it on your computer. Mine has a wireless screen for me to see what exactly it's getting and cost right at 200 bucks for the whole shootin' match.

The quality isn't the best, but the unit isn't the most expensive, either. I just have it to protect myself legally. Many people get dollar signs in their eyes when sharing the road with big trucks.

Here's a sample of the video in my pickup. It has sound and is time and date stamped.

http://www.videodashcam.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbKY_kDfpR0

Mudderoy
09-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Hey I saw my buddy today at the Randall's gas station. I just had to say hello.

Wow this guy can cuss. I was all jumpy and shaking due to the adrenaline that was pumping in my body. I usually think pretty good in these situations, but it wasn't until he got in his little car that I thought to snap a picture.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-UH2dsuEiTKc/TmYsBI8LC5I/AAAAAAAABLo/ioMtn84Q2Kg/2011-09-06%25252007.55.42.jpg

OrangeXJ
09-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Sounds to me that he needs to be bitch slaped

Mudderoy
09-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Sounds to me that he needs to be bitch slaped

Well I stood there toe to toe. I'm not going to be the first to swing. Ya know?

BlueXJ
09-06-2011, 09:46 AM
should have got out and slapped him... not for being a ass but for driving around in that tin box......did he have crocks on...............

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

First they have a different spelling "Crocs" and I wear them everywhere. I was originally ordered to wear them by my doctor and fell in love with their comfort. I have about 10 pair and wear them exclusively. So watch your tongue my friends, you know not what you say.:moon:

OrangeXJ
09-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I understand

Mudderoy
09-06-2011, 10:00 AM
First they have a different spelling "Crocs" and I wear them everywhere. I was originally ordered to wear them by my doctor and fell in love with their comfort. I have about 10 pair and wear them exclusively. So watch your tongue my friends, you know not what you say.:moon:

rofl

BlueXJ
09-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Tony do you have OBA on the RED XJ? I have that on mine and want to install an air horn from a semi. That bug driver would be looking for some fresh undies.

Mudderoy
09-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Tony do you have OBA on the RED XJ? I have that on mine and want to install an air horn from a semi. That bug driver would be looking for some fresh undies.

Not yet, but I have installed the Viair air pressure gauge. Viair 2.5 gallon tank is next. Then air horn! lol

prerunner1982
09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Would be funny if this guy just happened to pull into the same parking lot you and some local XJers/Jeepers were having a get together. Bet he wouldn't be so loud mouthed...

He parks his car, looks up and is surrounded by Xjs. :smiley-laughing021:

Dirt Dogg Rydas
09-06-2011, 04:47 PM
The dash cam is a good idea
I used to put my On my dash when I had my Camaro and it worked just fine but I had to keep my windshield or it would try to focus on the dirty windshield instead of the road
What I want now is a way to put my iPhone on there. That way I can just record and send straight to YouTube

4.3LXJ
09-06-2011, 06:10 PM
The dash cam is a good idea
I used to put my On my dash when I had my Camaro and it worked just fine but I had to keep my windshield or it would try to focus on the dirty windshield instead of the road
What I want now is a way to put my iPhone on there. That way I can just record and send straight to YouTube

I have a car dock on my Jeep. Haven't used it for video, but it works great for the off road GPS function. $40