PDA

View Full Version : Okay, it's tire time! (again)

Losplus
08-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Hey guys, I've gotten a lot of good info from postings on here as far as lift/tire size and all that, so I think I'm good in that respect. I just did a 3" lift on my 2001 XJ and I'm ready for some new rubber on the ground. Up to now I've been running BFG A/T KO's (235 75 15) on stock wheels and they've been awesome. I've got my eye on some nice juicy BFG 31's which I'm sure are a "can't fail" and would look sweet, but then I'm also going back and forth looking at some Firestone Destination A/T's, which come very highly rated on Tirerack.com and seem to get uniformly excellent reviews from people who use them. With winter around the corner (which get pretty heavy here) and for the kind of driving I do (mostly street/highway, occasional off-road) would it make more sense to go with the sensible all around qualities of the Firestones (which cost less) and forego the rugged good looks of the BFG's or am I just making it harder than it needs to be? Would anyone like to voice their opinion on this? I'm kinda driving myself nuts over here.
I got the "family man" angel on one shoulder, and the muddy "trail devil" on the other.
Thanks a lot.

bigjim350
08-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Always listen to the trail devil.

4.3LXJ
08-22-2011, 02:37 AM
I am with Jim. I like to have a good off road tire for when I hit the trails, but one that has good highway manners too for my daily driver. BFGs are good for that.

Mudderoy
08-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Hey guys, I've gotten a lot of good info from postings on here as far as lift/tire size and all that, so I think I'm good in that respect. I just did a 3" lift on my 2001 XJ and I'm ready for some new rubber on the ground. Up to now I've been running BFG A/T KO's (235 75 15) on stock wheels and they've been awesome. I've got my eye on some nice juicy BFG 31's which I'm sure are a "can't fail" and would look sweet, but then I'm also going back and forth looking at some Firestone Destination A/T's, which come very highly rated on Tirerack.com and seem to get uniformly excellent reviews from people who use them. With winter around the corner (which get pretty heavy here) and for the kind of driving I do (mostly street/highway, occasional off-road) would it make more sense to go with the sensible all around qualities of the Firestones (which cost less) and forego the rugged good looks of the BFG's or am I just making it harder than it needs to be? Would anyone like to voice their opinion on this? I'm kinda driving myself nuts over here.
I got the "family man" angel on one shoulder, and the muddy "trail devil" on the other.
Thanks a lot.

My first set of tires for the XJ after the lift was BFG MT 32x11.5x15 KM, that was almost 4 years ago. I'll be replacing them here soon with BFG MT 33x12.5x15 KM2. That was almost 4 years ago!

There are two other tires I have been looking at. The Cooper, because their tread pattern is like the old KM MT tires I have (and cheaper). I've also looked at the Goodyear with Kevlar since they are only a little more expensive and that would be the one weakness of the BFG, the sidewalls.

TeXJ
08-24-2011, 12:05 PM
fwiw, I LOVE my MTR's w/kevlar.

Look at the Goodyear duratracs!

Mudderoy
08-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Cooper...
http://tirefish.com/media/images/cart/types/medium/294_1264793493.jpg

Goodyear MT Kevlar...
http://tirefish.com/media/images/cart/types/medium/243_1236028650.jpg

BFG MT KM2...
http://tirefish.com/media/images/cart/types/medium/152_1236014637.jpg

ToyoTires... (any good? I like the tread pattern!)
http://tirefish.com/media/images/cart/types/medium/92_1236029587.jpg

bluedragon436
08-24-2011, 12:37 PM
I really like the BFF MT km2 tires.. Have heard great things about them.. Also hear great things about the Duratracs.. I think I will keep going with the Baka claws well the newer versions when I do replace my current tires, unless I can find a good deal on Somme KM2's.. But I have heard the KM2's and the Duratracs are great on the road as well as off road, so those would be the two I would look at if I were you..

Losplus
08-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys! I'm assuming I'd want to go with at least an 8" wide rim, correct?

Mudderoy
08-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys! I'm assuming I'd want to go with at least an 8" wide rim, correct?

To my surprise I was told that my stock 7" wheels "eccos" would have been find for my 32x11.5x15 tires. My understanding is that the tires have a habit of rubbing in sharp turns on the suspension though.

I'm really happy with my 10x15 wheels.

4.3LXJ
08-30-2011, 03:55 PM
My rule of thumb on rim width has been to match the width of the tread. You can't go wrong there.

TeXJ
08-30-2011, 07:04 PM
with my 33x12.5x15 I went for an 8" wide rim. Because the bead seats firmer, i think!

4.3LXJ
08-30-2011, 09:41 PM
that is acceptable. The tread is only about 9" wide