PDA

View Full Version : OK. Lift decision time.

Paddletrucker
08-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Well, I'm down to three lifts I need to choose from and I've got questions I can't seem to find answers to. I'd really like to get this thing ordered and on it's way. I doubt I can have it on and road ready by this weekend, but I'd sure like to have it all done for next weekend. That is, IF the shipping is quick enough.

OK, I need full leaf packs, as my stock suspension is sagging horribly. I'd originally wanted a 3" only, but this weekend, I took the XJ fishing and just about got into trouble in a spot I've been to a hundred times in my 2WD Dodge truck. Loose gravel from the lake washed across a trail from the recent heavy rains, and ruts made concrete hard by our super hot summer have made me decide on a touch more height. The ruts were soft enough on top to let you helplessly slide into the tracks, but too stiff underneath to give and I almost high centered big time.

I'd like everything I need to do it all. I'm getting conflicting info, though, on what all that is. For sure, I want and adjustable track bar. What else do I need and what else would be good to have and why?

My three potential choices are.

4.5" rough country. I know everybody really likes these. My biggest reason, albeit most likely an idiotic one, for NOT going with them is that it seems like everybody has them. Also, I've had a few people tell me they ride rough. I don't know.

3.5" Rubicon Express. What's the difference between a SuperRide and and SuperFlex? I can't find what all this one comes with, though. Does it have all I'll need?

4" Old Man Emu. For some reason, I'm really kind of leaning this way now. I've read the best reviews of this lift and how it rides and handles on the road.

So, of the three, which is the most complete kit with everything I'll need? Which one will work out the best for towing trailers? I'll be doing a lot of that with my XJ. Also, I'll spend a lot more time on road than off road, so I want it to handle really good on road. And, which is the most complete? It seems like by the time it's all said and done, the costs aren't all that far apart for the full leaf packs, with RC (of course) being the least expensive.

Like I said, I've read, read, and read some more and these are the things I can't seem to get info on from the forums, and the manufacturers will naturally tell you theirs is the best.

I'm not asking you to choose one of the above for me, but rather answer the questions I can't seem to find answers to so that I can choose. Thanks in advance.

Mudderoy
08-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Well, I'm down to three lifts I need to choose from and I've got questions I can't seem to find answers to. I'd really like to get this thing ordered and on it's way. I doubt I can have it on and road ready by this weekend, but I'd sure like to have it all done for next weekend. That is, IF the shipping is quick enough.

OK, I need full leaf packs, as my stock suspension is sagging horribly. I'd originally wanted a 3" only, but this weekend, I took the XJ fishing and just about got into trouble in a spot I've been to a hundred times in my 2WD Dodge truck. Loose gravel from the lake washed across a trail from the recent heavy rains, and ruts made concrete hard by our super hot summer have made me decide on a touch more height. The ruts were soft enough on top to let you helplessly slide into the tracks, but too stiff underneath to give and I almost high centered big time.

I'd like everything I need to do it all. I'm getting conflicting info, though, on what all that is. For sure, I want and adjustable track bar. What else do I need and what else would be good to have and why?

My three potential choices are.

4.5" rough country. I know everybody really likes these. My biggest reason, albeit most likely an idiotic one, for NOT going with them is that it seems like everybody has them. Also, I've had a few people tell me they ride rough. I don't know.

3.5" Rubicon Express. What's the difference between a SuperRide and and SuperFlex? I can't find what all this one comes with, though. Does it have all I'll need?

4" Old Man Emu. For some reason, I'm really kind of leaning this way now. I've read the best reviews of this lift and how it rides and handles on the road.

So, of the three, which is the most complete kit with everything I'll need? Which one will work out the best for towing trailers? I'll be doing a lot of that with my XJ. Also, I'll spend a lot more time on road than off road, so I want it to handle really good on road. And, which is the most complete? It seems like by the time it's all said and done, the costs aren't all that far apart for the full leaf packs, with RC (of course) being the least expensive.

Like I said, I've read, read, and read some more and these are the things I can't seem to get info on from the forums, and the manufacturers will naturally tell you theirs is the best.

I'm not asking you to choose one of the above for me, but rather answer the questions I can't seem to find answers to so that I can choose. Thanks in advance.

All I can tell you about is the RC 4.5". It has everything you need. I got AAL then purchased the 4.5" leavers later. You can get the kit with the leaves.

bigjim350
08-16-2011, 02:19 PM
The rough country and the rubicon express kits come the most complete. The rubicon express wont ride that much better than the rough country lift. to me with rubicon express it seems like your payinf for a name

OrangeXJ
08-16-2011, 02:26 PM
I'd go with RC I have there 4.5 LA lift. All lifts are going to ride ruffer than stock. What I liked most about it is you can add long arms for about 6 bones at a later date like I did. Shipping is fast and customer service is next to none.

Now if you want a lift that rides smoother than most go with what my son has on his xl Full Traction 7" long arm lift. It's a true 4 link lift. Bad part is it's over 2k.

JeepinOutfitters
08-16-2011, 05:46 PM
The differences in the RE SuperFlex vs SuperRide kits are that the SuperFlex kit comes with flex lower control arms, swaybar quick disconnects, and front bumpstop extensions. The SuperRide kit comes with SuperRide LCAs (poly bushings on both ends; no flex joints), extended swaybar endlinks (not disconnecting), and no front bumpstop extensions.

As far as completeness goes, you'll get the most parts with the Rough Country 4.5" kit, and the least with an OME kit. Height-wise, the RE 3.5" kits will be about the same height as the RC 4.5" kit.

Now, I will say we sell more RE and OME kits than we do RC kits, but RC is quickly gaining in popularity with their new suspension component designs (their new X-flex arms and swaybar quick disconnects in particular).

For what you want and need, with 3.5-4.5" of lift you'll need new lower arms (preferably flex arms if you're planning on wheeling the Jeep), new springs front/rear, extended rear brakeline, recommend extended front lines, extended swaybar endlinks up front (recommend quick disconnects for offroading), new shocks front/rear, an adjustable trackbar, and I'd recommend extended front and rear bumpstops. Almost no kits include rear bumpstop extensions though -- Currie is the only off-the-shelf kit I can think of that includes these. At the 4.5" end of the spectrum it's also highly recommended to get some adjustable upper arms. The RC 4.5" kit is going to come with pretty much everything other than the rear bumpstops, assuming you're looking at the X-Series 4.5" kit and not the regular one.

Mudderoy
08-17-2011, 12:16 AM
The differences in the RE SuperFlex vs SuperRide kits are that the SuperFlex kit comes with flex lower control arms, swaybar quick disconnects, and front bumpstop extensions. The SuperRide kit comes with SuperRide LCAs (poly bushings on both ends; no flex joints), extended swaybar endlinks (not disconnecting), and no front bumpstop extensions.

As far as completeness goes, you'll get the most parts with the Rough Country 4.5" kit, and the least with an OME kit. Height-wise, the RE 3.5" kits will be about the same height as the RC 4.5" kit.

Now, I will say we sell more RE and OME kits than we do RC kits, but RC is quickly gaining in popularity with their new suspension component designs (their new X-flex arms and swaybar quick disconnects in particular).

For what you want and need, with 3.5-4.5" of lift you'll need new lower arms (preferably flex arms if you're planning on wheeling the Jeep), new springs front/rear, extended rear brakeline, recommend extended front lines, extended swaybar endlinks up front (recommend quick disconnects for offroading), new shocks front/rear, an adjustable trackbar, and I'd recommend extended front and rear bumpstops. Almost no kits include rear bumpstop extensions though -- Currie is the only off-the-shelf kit I can think of that includes these. At the 4.5" end of the spectrum it's also highly recommended to get some adjustable upper arms. The RC 4.5" kit is going to come with pretty much everything other than the rear bumpstops, assuming you're looking at the X-Series 4.5" kit and not the regular one.

Good post. Yeah I had to extend my bump stops, and even if you aren't planning on "wheeling" do this because it will save you during those "I can make it!" moments!

saar
08-17-2011, 01:30 AM
I have the RE 3.5" super flex for almost 2 years now.
You may have drive live vibration after installing it (or any other lift higher than 3").
I haven't solve mine yet, I get some vibration from time to time.
The original bushings of the rear leafs were ruined after a year or so (less than 7000 km)
The jeep became very firm and rough, LA kit will solve that issue.
Off road - it is just great.
If you have any other specific questions about that lift, let me know...
Saar.

4.3LXJ
08-17-2011, 09:03 AM
I have the RE 3.5" super flex for almost 2 years now.
You may have drive live vibration after installing it (or any other lift higher than 3").
I haven't solve mine yet, I get some vibration from time to time.

Saar

I have an article on here on how to solve drive line vibrations. It uses an angle finder to solve the problem. If you need any further help, let me know.

xj4life2
08-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Ok heres my 2cents worth, ALL lifts ride stiff when there new thats just the nature of the beast. they do soften up the more you exersize them. As for the RC lift they are by far the most complete i've ever seen and you can buy 2 for the price of one RE. I am a dealer for both and have been for many years and I myself run the RE 4.5 on my XJ and have had little or no issues at all with the exception of upper and lower control arm bushings going bad. I have never heard of this with the RC kits. If I was gonna build another one it would be an RC due to price point and what I would use it for. As for towing XJ's (in my opinion ) aren't really a towing vehicle to start with. I do tow wth mine but very small trailers anything larger seems to put a real stress on the unibody.Lastly the OME kit they are pricey , only go to three inches and usually takes a few days or more to get, but in the quality arena they are great. So overall value for your Dollar and quality, fit and completeness of the kit I would have to with RC .

Paddletrucker
08-17-2011, 01:43 PM
You know, actually, looking over that list again, there are a few of those things I do use. I can't understand why anyone would worry about it, though.

All of the things listed on there that I use are old and out of date, anyway. I run the newer versions just fine. Why would I care if the old crap don't run. I've got the newer versions, and about all of it for free.

xj4life2
08-17-2011, 01:46 PM
[/QUOTE]
Since my primary thing will be on road driving, is there anything about these lifts that would make them more or less suitable for highway driving or negatively affect handling? I will tow a lot with it, but I don't really think that will affect too much. I have a trailer I'll haul my kayaks and fishing gear on. I can pick the trailer up off the ground completely, it's so light, and the kayaks and gear probably don't weigh a total of 300 pounds. I'll also use a little flat bed trailer that will basically be a replacement truck bed, and a small trailer I haul goats with to the sale barn with. Nothing too serious, but a trailer will be behind my Jeep a LOT. If my buddies 2WD, 4 banger Nissan pick-em-up truck can do it, my Jeep 4.0 will do it better!!:D Especially after I regear.:rolleye0012:

My wife used to have an all stock Cherokee. It was a '96 4WD 5-spd. She pulled a two horse trailer with two horses in it all over the darn country rodeoing. It was nothing for her to go several hours away from home. I put a brake control on it so she could stop it and we never had a minute's problem with that Jeep as a towing vehicle, and I'd say the trailer and horses had to be around 3,000 pounds, at least. But mine won't be doing anything like that at all. I'll just be using a little trailer to do crap around here and haul my kayaks fishing and camping.[/QUOTE]

As for the towing your refering to you should be fine, I have seen guys try to pull 8k tandem wheel trailer with XJ's , it don't work to good. As far as lifts and towing goes ...... I have found no real differance between them I would however recomend to stay away from long arm kits and recomend the control arm drop kit from RC it will improve the handleing

bigjim350
08-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Soooo, good luck with the lift purshase

Paddletrucker
08-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Soooo, good luck with the lift purshase

Thanks. Whatever I decide, it will be good. After all, it's going on a GREEN Jeep, therefore it's awesome!!!!!:patriot:

Mudderoy
08-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks. Whatever I decide, it will be good. After all, it's going on a GREEN Jeep, therefore it's awesome!!!!!:patriot:

Green symbolizes: life, nature, fertility, well being
Green is the color of nature, fertility, life. Grass green is the most restful color. Green symbolizes self-respect and well being. Green is the color of balance. It also means learning, growth and harmony. Green is a safe color, if you don't know what color to use anywhere use green.

Green is favored by well balanced people. Green symbolizes the master healer and the life force. It often symbolizes money. It was believed green was healing for the eyes. Egyptians wore green eyeliner. Green eyeshades are still used. You should eat raw green foods for good health. Friday is the day of green. Green jade is a sacred stone of Asia.

Green Energy
Green contains the powerful energies of nature, growth, desire to expand or increase. Balance and a sense of order are found in the color green. Change and transformation is necessary for growth, and so this ability to sustain changes is also a part of the energy of green.

Put some green in your life when you want:

a new state of balance
feel a need for change or growth
freedom to pursue new ideas
protection from fears and anxieties connected with the demands of others

xj4life2
08-17-2011, 03:39 PM

Well had I known it was a green jeep I would have givin you different advise !!lol lol lol :)

saar
08-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Ok, I'm not sure what happened here, I remember we were talking about lift and I came this morning and see it is MS VS Apple fight :-)

4.3LXJ, that you, I saw that article and saved it, at least once a week I'm telling to myself, today I will go under the Jeep and solve it, somehow, I find myself doing other stuff...
Thank you,
Saar.

Mudderoy
08-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Ok, I'm not sure what happened here, I remember we were talking about lift and I came this morning and see it is MS VS Apple fight :-)

4.3LXJ, that you, I saw that article and saved it, at least once a week I'm telling to myself, today I will go under the Jeep and solve it, somehow, I find myself doing other stuff...
Thank you,
Saar.

I fixed it.

:link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8139)