PDA

View Full Version : 98 Cherokee Power Door Locks

jeepnewsnow
08-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Good morning,

I have a 1998 4-door Cherokee Sport with power door locks.

Both rear door locks work fine manually, but neither responds when I lock or unlock them using the switches in either front door. I can hear the actuator(?) moving in both of the rear doors, but it's not actually doing anything. Does that eliminate it as an electrical problem?

I removed one of the rear door panels to see if I could spot a broken linkage or something, but it looks like the power lock actuator is part of the door lock.

Do I need to replace the lock to fix this? Any advice?

Thanks,
-mike

Mudderoy
08-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Good morning,

Both rear door locks work fine manually, but neither responds when I lock or unlock them using the switches in either front door. I can hear the actuator(?) moving in both of the rear doors, but it's not actually doing anything. Does that eliminate it as an electrical problem?

I removed one of the rear door panels to see if I could spot a broken linkage or something, but it looks like the power lock actuator is part of the door lock.

Thanks,
-mike

I won't say this is a 100% for sure, but I'm as close to that as I can be. ;)

The lock actuators go bad. From all that I can find they cannot be repaired, so replacement is your option. You can check ebay for used ones, or go to teamcherokee.com and get new ones. They are different prices, with the rear being the most expensive.

Between my 98 and my wife's 99 we need 3 of them. Front drivers, front passenger and rear drivers. They range in price from $95 to $145 each!!!

I both a used one for my passenger side a few years ago and I haven't hand any problems with it.

4.3LXJ
08-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Good morning,

Thanks,
-mike

If you can hear them trying to work, then you probably just have a lubrication issue. The locking mechanism has grease in it from the factory and over time can get stiff. A little CRC lubricant or something similar would help. WD40 will evaporate and should not be used for this purpose.

Mudderoy
08-15-2011, 09:37 AM
If you can hear them trying to work, then you probably just have a lubrication issue. The locking mechanism has grease in it from the factory and over time can get stiff. A little CRC lubricant or something similar would help. WD40 will evaporate and should not be used for this purpose.

How would you lubricate them? Is the CRC a spray? Would you have to take the lock out of the door to lubricate?

4.3LXJ
08-15-2011, 09:53 AM
The part that gets stiff is the door latch mechanism. If it is kind of hard to operate manually, that is probably the culprit. And yes, CRC is a spray. Handy stuff to have around.

Mudderoy
08-15-2011, 10:57 AM
The part that gets stiff is the door latch mechanism. If it is kind of hard to operate manually, that is probably the culprit. And yes, CRC is a spray. Handy stuff to have around.

Oh, my latch works fine manually.

4.3LXJ
08-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh, my latch works fine manually.

The first thing I would do is ohm the actuator. Of course you have to remove the panel to do that. They can go bad. If it ohms out OK, the next thing I do is hook up some jumpers off a battery charger or something. If it works, then go after the switch.

jeepnewsnow
08-15-2011, 02:30 PM
The lock actuators go bad. From all that I can find they cannot be repaired, so replacement is your option. You can check ebay for used ones, or go to teamcherokee.com and get new ones. They are different prices, with the rear being the most expensive.

I talked to a local mechanic and he said the actuators have plastic parts inside that eventually go bad - I suspect that's what happened to mine, as I can hear _something_ moving in the actuator when I hit the lock/unlock button, but nothing actually moves.

Any tips on replacing the actuator once I get my hands on one?

Thanks,
-mike

Mudderoy
08-15-2011, 02:31 PM
I talked to a local mechanic and he said the actuators have plastic parts inside that eventually go bad - I suspect that's what happened to mine, as I can hear _something_ moving in the actuator when I hit the lock/unlock button, but nothing actually moves.

Any tips on replacing the actuator once I get my hands on one?

Thanks,
-mike

As I recall it's pretty easy. 3 screws and disconnecting/connecting the metal rods to it. You'll have to remove the inside door cover, but that's really easy on the 97+ (Sorry I didn't look to see what year you have).

jeepnewsnow
08-15-2011, 02:36 PM
As I recall it's pretty easy. 3 screws and disconnecting/connecting the metal rods to it. You'll have to remove the inside door cover, but that's really easy on the 97+ (Sorry I didn't look to see what year you have).

When I looked at it over the weekend, it looked like I would need remove the entire door lock mechanism - from what you said, it sounds like the actuator can be removed while keeping the rest of the lock in place?

Mudderoy
08-15-2011, 02:39 PM
When I looked at it over the weekend, it looked like I would need remove the entire door lock mechanism - from what you said, it sounds like the actuator can be removed while keeping the rest of the lock in place?

Well on my 98 it's one piece. Lock actuator everything.

jeepnewsnow
08-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Well on my 98 it's one piece. Lock actuator everything.

Alrighty - last question then. Think it is worth it to take it apart and lubricate with CRC to see if that fixes it? Or should I not bother trying that until I get a replacement?

Thanks,
-mike

4.3LXJ
08-15-2011, 02:48 PM
It is easy, you just have to get to it

Mudderoy
08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Alrighty - last question then. Think it is worth it to take it apart and lubricate with CRC to see if that fixes it? Or should I not bother trying that until I get a replacement?

Thanks,
-mike

Well like Steve posted, check the resistance with a meter to see if it is bad. If not lube it. :D

jeepxj95
08-15-2011, 09:59 PM
can i use white lithum gresse in a spray in sted of crc?

4.3LXJ
08-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Whit lithium grease is great stuff. But the idea here is to use the CRC as a solvent and soften up the grease that is already there and become dry and hard.