PDA

View Full Version : Backspacing & tire size help needed

honesT
08-10-2011, 11:14 PM
This seems like an easy question untill I looked for the answer before posting the question.

Ok so from what I can gather a 5.5 backspacing is stock on all XJ`s so my question is how much backspacing can you have or what is the recomended?
And how does the larger backspacing affect the rubbing on the lower control arms when backspacing is to put it clearly just moving the tire (RUBBER) futher from the vehicle?

Please think before you post :out: Already too many lowlife jokers & 1/2 wits on the web confusing people for no reason.

My plan is to run 31`s for DD and 33`s or maybe 35`s for trail.

Thanks in advance for your time.

bigjim350
08-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Hard to go wrong Running a 15x8 with a 4" backspace. That's about the norm for DD rigs and trail rigs

jccatt
08-11-2011, 06:03 AM
We talk off set over here in Aus so I can't help. We run -10mm off set.

4.3LXJ
08-12-2011, 09:55 AM
31s will rub with stock offset.

LizardRunner
08-12-2011, 10:32 AM
This seems like an easy question untill I looked for the answer before posting the question.

Ok so from what I can gather a 5.5 backspacing is stock on all XJ`s so my question is how much backspacing can you have or what is the recomended?
And how does the larger backspacing affect the rubbing on the lower control arms when backspacing is to put it clearly just moving the tire (RUBBER) futher from the vehicle?

Please think before you post :out: Already too many lowlife jokers & 1/2 wits on the web confusing people for no reason.

My plan is to run 31`s for DD and 33`s or maybe 35`s for trail.

Thanks in advance for your time.

First about the back spacing, my build sheet shows factory to be 4.5 not 5.5
Also, as you reduce the back spacing you are adding stress to the axle bearings. I don't know if you have ever seen the low riders that put wheel spacers on to move the rims out from under the wheel wells (back in the 80's and 90's) but they tend to break axles or they wear out outer axle bearings very quickly from the added stress to those bearings. It can also mess with your total suspension geometry. Like Jim says, 4.0 back spacing works very well with 15x8 rims. the lest I would run would be 3.5 back spacing and 15x10 rims. Back spacing is actually more for centering the mounting ring, yes it moves the rubber out further but the actual reason is more for clearance of the suspension parts (brakes, knuckles etc.) There is a thread on here where I posted drawings of wheel measurements but I don't remember which one it is.

4.3LXJ
08-12-2011, 12:37 PM
First about the back spacing, my build sheet shows factory to be 4.5 not 5.5
Also, as you reduce the back spacing you are adding stress to the axle bearings. I don't know if you have ever seen the low riders that put wheel spacers on to move the rims out from under the wheel wells (back in the 80's and 90's) but they tend to break axles or they wear out outer axle bearings very quickly from the added stress to those bearings. It can also mess with your total suspension geometry. Like Jim says, 4.0 back spacing works very well with 15x8 rims. the lest I would run would be 3.5 back spacing and 15x10 rims. Back spacing is actually more for centering the mounting ring, yes it moves the rubber out further but the actual reason is more for clearance of the suspension parts (brakes, knuckles etc.) There is a thread on here where I posted drawings of wheel measurements but I don't remember which one it is.

Now if I can add to that. The more you move the front tire out, the larger the swing radius of the outside edge when turning. Which means you will need to trim more to accommodate that as well as added bumpstopping.