PDA

View Full Version : Torque Converter Clutch (tcc) lock up !help!

rm2406
08-09-2011, 08:57 PM
sometimes tcc lock up works and sometimes it dont. cruise control works fine even when tcc doesnt engage. weather outside has no affect (hot or cold). i have a 96 cherokee country 4x4 4.0 HO stock.. what are some things i can try to determine if its the solenoid itself (without dropping pan first) or something else. i tried swapping tcm with no change. tps was changed out twice already,tv cable has been adjusted. fluid level is a hair over full mark.what tells tcc to engage?? any ideas??

bigjim350
08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Could be a vaccum leak. Not sure if the cruise on a xj is tied into the brake switch or not. If it is it could be that too

jeepxj95
08-09-2011, 11:17 PM
yes it is tied into the brake switch. it could also a bad ground but mostlikely is a bad solenoid. had the same problem with my 95 but then the tcu died and i wired it to work manually and hasnt done it since. when was the last time the fuild was change? it might need to get flushed the right way.

rm2406
08-10-2011, 10:03 AM
how can i wire it manually? and if manually works than solenoid is good and problem is else where right?? the last time the fluid was changed was like 8-12months ago but that was just drain pan and refill. fluid on dipstick looks a little dark. if brake switch was bad wouldnt that affect cruise control? cruise control works even when tcc does not lock so i figured brake switch was ok?

Mudderoy
08-10-2011, 04:29 PM
how can i wire it manually? and if manually works than solenoid is good and problem is else where right?? the last time the fluid was changed was like 8-12months ago but that was just drain pan and refill. fluid on dipstick looks a little dark. if brake switch was bad wouldnt that affect cruise control? cruise control works even when tcc does not lock so i figured brake switch was ok?

I think the cruise control would work, it just wouldn't disengage when you tap on the brakes! :shocker: Okay I'll assume that "works" means cruise disengages when tapping on the brakes.

I had a p0400(?) code come up on my Jeep which was a possible torque converter, or lock/unlock solenoid, among other things. Apparently (at least on the 97+) there is a connector on the outside of the AW4 that you can check the resistance to see if the solenoid is bad. My torque converter was locking and unlocking fine though.

jeepxj95
08-11-2011, 12:48 AM
look on the tread opinion on rail shifter in modify section. the is a post with a link to greatlakes web site that shows u how to do it. i run a simpler set up but same concept. i use 2 on off switches. ull see what im talking about. maybe someone can post the like to the website im talkin about. i would but its hard to do on the ps3

jeepxj95
08-11-2011, 12:50 AM
and 96 will thro a check engine light i think.

rm2406
08-12-2011, 11:22 AM
no check engine light on 96 for trans problems. i dont think the tcm and ecm communicate. i've had tranny probs before and never a cel.. i will try to look in manually wiring tcc lock to verify if it solenoid or something else.. good thing ive got spare solenoids just incase... any other possible ideas are greatly appreciated...

xj4life2
08-12-2011, 07:28 PM
All Data could be wrong, but according to them you should get a trouble code for trans issues in 1996. here are two tests for a no code issue :
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz298/payless4x/testone.gif

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz298/payless4x/testtwo.gif

Good luck !!!!