PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Ignition cylinder locked!

jeepxj95
08-07-2011, 11:30 PM
today i went in to the store for an hour came back out to start the heep and the key wouldn't turn. so i call my mom so she could run my wife home to get her key and the same thing. so i called for a tow truck and he got it started. so when i got home i turned it off and the samething. so i have 2 ?'s is there a way to get it started without taring everything a part? so i can get by for another week when i get paid. and how do i change the ignition cylinder?

oh and this is on my 95

JENSSEN
08-07-2011, 11:36 PM
I assume its an auto? If so you can likely disconnect the shifter cable to the column and correct the issue as long as you lock it in the "open" position,.. look under your dash and you should see the ball and socket cable attachment.

If thats what is wrong,...

jeepxj95
08-07-2011, 11:39 PM
ill look tomorrow. thanks any more ideas?

default83
08-09-2011, 07:08 AM
try shoving the key downward when pushing it in the ignition. like the point of the key straight down and let it force you to go straight. the same crap happened on my TJ if i used that trick it would always work.

gary63
08-09-2011, 07:18 AM
when you said the key won't turn is that the problem or dos the key turn but it won't start? if the key won't turn put the key into the ign. and tap on it alittle like you would tap on a nail head.the tumbler or sidebar is sticking.to get it out you do have to turn the ign..so if that is your problem got the lock out soon
before it stop working completely.

jeepxj95
08-09-2011, 11:25 PM
it wont turn at all. i can put the key in and thats it. i think the tumbler took a dump.

Mudderoy
08-10-2011, 04:30 PM
it wont turn at all. i can put the key in and thats it. i think the tumbler took a dump.

Double check to make sure it's your Jeep. :out: :D

cpttuna
08-10-2011, 08:31 PM
wiggle the steering wheel at the same time you try to turn the key. If you have a tilt wheel, change the position and retry to start it.

XJ4IV
08-10-2011, 09:10 PM
have you done any recent work on the center console? there is a cable in there that helps the park lock mechanism... it does a few other things that Im now figuring out when you remove the center console and you look down its the cable to the right this is what makes the lever STAY in a certain position like park or drive or whatever else... anyhow check n see if that lock bar is in the up position if it isnt push it up with a long screw driver or a prybar if that works then you need to douse the whole mechanism with WD40 or PB Blaster
if it isnt that I have NO clue what it is

jeepxj95
08-10-2011, 11:52 PM
wiggle the steering wheel at the same time you try to turn the key. If you have a tilt wheel, change the position and retry to start it.

tried that. nothing

jeepxj95
08-11-2011, 12:01 AM
nope haven't had the center out in about a year. took the ign assembly out and tore it a part took the gears out of it, move the shifter interlock and put one gear in to keep the colum from locking. and then hot wired it runs fine. easy set up. now that i know what wire contols what i know how im ganna do my anti theft set up. oh and the tumbler is s@#$ found a jy that will sell me just the igh assembly insted of the hole colum.

XJ4IV
08-11-2011, 12:04 AM
well that sucks but glad you found a simple fix...

jeepxj95
08-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Double check to make sure it's your Jeep. :out: :D

yep. only teal xj with rocker damage 31s with sagging rear leafs and a mag mount whip cb antenna oh and the replaceable xenon h4 balbs at mijers. lol

jeepxj95
08-11-2011, 12:10 AM
yeah me 2

jeepxj95
08-12-2011, 11:23 PM
got my ign assembly from the jy today works like new and the key looks it also. i think they replace the assembly then the jeep got totaled or something. its nice tho and works great. :)

XJ4IV
08-13-2011, 12:52 PM
sweet... now did you take photos to show the rest of us the breakdown?

jeepxj95
08-14-2011, 10:28 PM
i can if i get time and finish a few other projects. so i can post pix on that also. and finally set up a picture thing so i can add pix for later. and figure out how to add them lol