PDA

View Full Version : Modified air box, Hack & saw

honesT
08-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I decided to open up my stock air intake box to improve the air flow, I just work to hard for my cash so I can`t bring myself to throw away $400+ on a high flow cold air intake when it`s not even a cold air intake due to it drawing in more hot air from the engine bay than my stock hack & saw jobber.

I don`t know why I can`nt up load the pic`s but all I did was cut out the front from the bottom up to just under the part that clamps & seals the filter & back around the corners 4 inch on the fender side and 5 inches back on the engine side. Used my grinder & hack saw took about 15 mintues to do a nice clean job including the file job to smooth the edges.

I noticed a slight improvement in throttle and my engine seems to be running smoother. I`m still using the stock frame air filter and have`nt made up my mind to go with the K&N stock replacement or upgrade to what these 2 like minded gentelmen have done.
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoAirFilter.htm

bigjim350
08-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Thats a good mod for jeeps that dont get wheeled in the mud or water too much. I have the stock airbox, yet have already filled it up on moree than one occasion by driving too fast in the water.

bluedragon436
08-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Yeah I was going to say awesome idea.. just wouldnt' work too well if you play in the mud or deep puddle alot.. But still a cool idea elsewhere..

honesT
08-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Thats a good mod for jeeps that dont get wheeled in the mud or water too much. I have the stock airbox, yet have already filled it up on moree than one occasion by driving too fast in the water.

No doubt a very dangerous situation you should be running a cowl snorkle before you murder your Jeep :banghead:

I would recomend this mod to anyone who does not do deep water crossings or drives fast through water, as far as mud I have no experience to say if the air intake box gets covered or not...

I still have the factory rubber mat that goes between the oil pan & axle and runs from the rad to 1/2 the length of the engine so I should be good to go.

I bought a used 2.5 Highflow cat & muffler pipes included from a used stroker engine and noticed more pickup with less throttle & now with this mod it makes everything smoother, throttle respose shifting gears and now a little meaner growl...

I plan on running a cowl snorkel and will most likely put my hack job back on for when I`m not wheeling.

bigjim350
08-02-2011, 07:22 PM
No doubt a very dangerous situation you should be running a cowl snorkle before you murder your Jeep :banghead:

Well if the damn jeep wont run on a little mud and water I need to kill it anyways :D

pyrotech
09-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Ditto what he said I butchered my air box and now I am about to route it back thru the fire wall so I can put the pick up area outa harms way under the dash.