PDA

View Full Version : Directed !

Macnutt
08-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Sup everybody macnutt here new to the sight and the crowd . I've may be trying to get into an early 90's xj problem Being that it's a 2by and blown moto . I have no problem with it being a project but just need some direction from xj owners and if it's worth ( converting ) to 4by as far as cost and all that goes with it . Any info appreciated . Mahalo's from Hawaii .

cantab27
08-01-2011, 05:12 AM
hey mate welcome to the site...matt on here has just done this,,im sure he will chime in when hes on next..

bluedragon436
08-01-2011, 05:57 AM
:welcome: to xjtalk!! I would say that it is usually worth it as far as converting it over to 4x4.. but then again it's all a matter of how much you can do yourself as apposed to having to pay a shop... and also what kind of XJ's you can source in local JY's, as compared to how much you'll have to order from the dealership or online retailers...

msmoorenburg
08-01-2011, 06:19 AM
Welcome to Xjtalk :D doing the swap is pretty straight forward. My opinion is get a 87 to 95 ,or 91 to 96 for the ho motor. The 97 up have a extra sensor on the tranny so it will limit you to some years. on a good note any aw4 will work in 87 to 96 ;)

prerunner1982
08-02-2011, 06:04 PM
If you are going to convert any vehicle from 2wd to 4wd the XJ/MJ has got to be one of the easiest platforms to work with. The front suspensions are the same so the front axle is bolt in.

As far as the main large items; you would need front axle, transmission, transfer case, and front/rear driveshafts. There will be some smaller stuff you may need but the main components are pretty easy. And instead of a whole transmission, you may be able to just swap the rear outputs from the 2wd version to the 4wd version.