PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Eff Rod!!!

BlueXJ
08-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Hi Eff Rod, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Listen/watch to the Jeep Cherokee xjtalk.com show! Live on Wed. 8pm CT! Also available on iTunes!

bluedragon436
08-01-2011, 02:11 AM
:welcome: to xjtalk from Delaware/Maryland!!

Eff Rod
08-01-2011, 02:12 AM
Hi everyone. Im Eff Rod. Im a Chef, single dad and new Jeep owner/lover as of a week ago.

I have already given blood sweat and tears to my Jeep.
Its a red 97 with a 4.0L. I don't know much else about it since I'm new to the Jeep world. I have been a Ford Truck guy for the past 10 yrs. I have had about 6 F150/F250's and a 1948 F-1.
I have always wanted this Jeep and I'm glad I finally have it. I saw it on craigslist for 1200 and walked er, drove away with it for 850. The guy thought the A/C was bad but I learned about the vacuum line under the battery and taped the hole with electrical tape for now. The "engine is shot" was resolved with a new starter (installed at the previous owner's home in about 5 minutes so that I could drive away...still feel bad for the dude for that one, a little lol)

I have repaired a crack in the radiator with JB Weld, replaced the water pump, thermostat(with a 180 degree thermostat), serpentine belt, hoses etc.

Plans are to completely overhaul the interior. I have already started to clean the water stained carpet, remove paint from vinyl (still working on that one), replace the headliner, install a decent audio system, a new overhead console with better lighting anda sunglasses case/holder thingy swiped from another Jeep or perhaps an explorer or expedition.

Currently panicking about the oil filter being stuck and me running out of options. Tried a blade, a screwdriver and now need a bigger filter wrench. hopefully that does it. advice is greatly appreciated.

gotta do a tune up. plugs, wires, cap, rotor and clean the IAC.

thats about it for now I guess.

so yeah, Hi and thanks for the welcome

bluedragon436
08-01-2011, 02:19 AM
When I first bought my XJ from the dealership I changed the oil out.. my filter didn't want to come off either.. I ended up jambing a screwdriver all teh way through the filter, as well as using a strap style filter wrench at the same time..

Mudderoy
08-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi everyone. Im Eff Rod. Im a Chef, single dad and new Jeep owner/lover as of a week ago.

I have already given blood sweat and tears to my Jeep.
Its a red 97 with a 4.0L. I don't know much else about it since I'm new to the Jeep world. I have been a Ford Truck guy for the past 10 yrs. I have had about 6 F150/F250's and a 1948 F-1.
I have always wanted this Jeep and I'm glad I finally have it. I saw it on craigslist for 1200 and walked er, drove away with it for 850. The guy thought the A/C was bad but I learned about the vacuum line under the battery and taped the hole with electrical tape for now. The "engine is shot" was resolved with a new starter (installed at the previous owner's home in about 5 minutes so that I could drive away...still feel bad for the dude for that one, a little lol)

I have repaired a crack in the radiator with JB Weld, replaced the water pump, thermostat(with a 180 degree thermostat), serpentine belt, hoses etc.

Plans are to completely overhaul the interior. I have already started to clean the water stained carpet, remove paint from vinyl (still working on that one), replace the headliner, install a decent audio system, a new overhead console with better lighting anda sunglasses case/holder thingy swiped from another Jeep or perhaps an explorer or expedition.

Currently panicking about the oil filter being stuck and me running out of options. Tried a blade, a screwdriver and now need a bigger filter wrench. hopefully that does it. advice is greatly appreciated.

gotta do a tune up. plugs, wires, cap, rotor and clean the IAC.

thats about it for now I guess.

so yeah, Hi and thanks for the welcome

:welcome: and :thanx: for joining xjtalk.

Be careful removing that filter. The local oil change place broke my oil pressure sensor off.

4.3LXJ
08-01-2011, 09:54 AM
:welcome: to xjtalk. Sounds like you have a great start in fixing up your "new" Jeep.

Eff Rod
08-02-2011, 01:27 PM
thanks for the welcomes guys.
i ended up removing the filter with a wrench that really chewed into the canister.
i was left in disbelief. it seemed like 100 ft lbs of torque was applied to that thing.
i was genuinely surprised at the effort i had to put in in order to get that thing out.
i ended up literally IN the engine compartment. one foot on the driver's side corner for leverage, my left knee on the valve cover and my full force pulling the wrench.

this was after pulling it one half turn from the bottom end on my back with my left foot on the driver side tire for leverage and my right arm pulling from over top a traction bar(?)

ANYway, got it out and reinstalled a new one, putting on it, silicone grease, new oil and a death stare that we will revisit in about 3-5000 miles lol

its been an incredible run in just a week's time. lets hope i dont come to realize this is the spirit of these jeeps. im optimistic now and i love this thing

this morning the power steering pump decided to start leaking. *eyeroll*
gonna try one of those stop leak things to see if that helps.
also noticed a small and very slow leak from the rear main seal area.

we'll see what happens

thanks again for the welcomes guys

Eff Rod
08-16-2011, 12:27 PM
power steering stopped leaking with barrs leaks fluid and i got the raditor to stop leaking for a week with stop leak for that from barrs as well but after a long day of errands it started leaking the barrs liquid lol

looking to do headliner myself next
got a radio installed. picked it up for 30 at best buy cause it was a return. works perfect
and has aux in which is what i wanted.
wired it up myself using haynes and a crutchfield guide for that radio
its the PIONEER DEH-3300UB (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1303300UB/Pioneer-DEH-3300UB.html?search=3300ub&tp=5684&tab=review)

gonna search for your suggestions on speakers. got the rear speaker bar and want to put some in before i do the headliner

thanks again guys

1ATony
08-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Welcome to the site