PDA

View Full Version : FENDERS opinion

da9r00d
07-27-2011, 11:34 AM
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/media/shoprigs/prerun_01.jpg
:link: (http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RA-FPK1-XJ&Category_Code=BODY)

Im looking into getting Wide "Baja" style front fenders or the bushwacker fenders but i cant decide, rusty's has a good deal on both front and rear in both types.

I was looking for pictures and opinions on both type

Mudderoy
07-27-2011, 11:40 AM
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/media/shoprigs/prerun_01.jpg
:link: (http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RA-FPK1-XJ&Category_Code=BODY)

Im looking into getting Wide "Baja" style front fenders or the bushwacker fenders but i cant decide, rusty's has a good deal on both front and rear in both types.

I was looking for pictures and opinions on both type

I'll share my opinion, with the understanding that I have no experience with the baja fenders.

I think it really depends on what you are going to do with the XJ. I mean if you are going to be in tight trails with trees then the bushwacker might be better. The fender flares are fiberglass and I suspect they'll break pretty easy. The bushwackers may as well, but you can always unbolt them throw them in the back and put them back on for the trip home.

LizardRunner
07-27-2011, 11:47 AM
This would be most dependent on if you are going desert racing or trails. Of course you could always make your own in steel or aluminum as an alternative.

bluedragon436
07-27-2011, 11:54 AM
I'll share my opinion, with the understanding that I have no experience with the baja fenders.

I think it really depends on what you are going to do with the XJ. I mean if you are going to be in tight trails with trees then the bushwacker might be better. The fender flares are fiberglass and I suspect they'll break pretty easy. The bushwackers may as well, but you can always unbolt them throw them in the back and put them back on for the trip home.

I would have to agree with Tony's explanation on the choices. If you are going to be doing tight trails and such, then the fiberglass baja flares will get torn off and torn apart.. The bushwackers will probably get smashed up too, as they tend to do when you are on trails, especially if it is cold out, or they have been on for a few years and they have started getting brittle. But if your two choices that you are looking at are the baja or the Bushwacker's.. then I would say go with the Bushwackers.. now if you are just doing it to have a nice look and stance, and to clear larger tires or for flex for some baja running, or jeepspeed type stuff.. then the baja flares would def. be the one to go with..

Another choice that I would def. go with if you are looking to go with the Bushwacker flares, take a look at one of our vendors on here jdougn from napierprecisionproducts (www.napierprecisionproducts.com). His flares are the same design as the BW, but much beefier material.. not to mention way better price wise.. but that is just another option for you to take a look at.

Mudderoy
07-27-2011, 11:56 AM
I would have to agree with Tony's explanation on the choices. If you are going to be doing tight trails and such, then the fiberglass baja flares will get torn off and torn apart.. The bushwackers will probably get smashed up too, as they tend to do when you are on trails, especially if it is cold out, or they have been on for a few years and they have started getting brittle. But if your two choices that you are looking at are the baja or the Bushwacker's.. then I would say go with the Bushwackers.. now if you are just doing it to have a nice look and stance, and to clear larger tires or for flex for some baja running, or jeepspeed type stuff.. then the baja flares would def. be the one to go with..

Another choice that I would def. go with if you are looking to go with the Bushwacker flares, take a look at one of our vendors on here jdougn from napierprecisionproducts (www.napierprecisionproducts.com). His flares are the same design as the BW, but much beefier material.. not to mention way better price wise.. but that is just another option for you to take a look at.

Yeah I forgot about our vendor, but I don't think he had the pre 97's yet. Also there is a write up in our Articles about flat fenders that are VERY strong and look really nice.

cantab27
07-27-2011, 11:17 PM
throw tj flares on there......everyone hates em ,,but cheap and do the job..some put rears front and back .......not i but....and to the haters i dont care..good luck on ya choice and if i had the coin i would run somthing else.....

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/Image0310.jpg

bigjim350
07-27-2011, 11:45 PM
If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with those fiberglass fenders just cause I like the way they look. But I prefer no flares with trimmed fenders.

4.3LXJ
07-27-2011, 11:47 PM
The fenders are a cool idea. However beware of Rusty's, I hear they don't fit too well.

da9r00d
07-28-2011, 06:24 PM
i was looking at the Rusty's fenders, thanks for the heads up. i mostly do trails, no crazy rock crawling.