PDA

View Full Version : Crazy power window problem.

Paddletrucker
07-27-2011, 07:26 AM
OK, this seems to me to be nuts. If I leave my Jeep in the shade all day, the driver's power window goes up and down just fine. This is true whether or not I park it with the window up or down.

IF I leave the Jeep out in the hot sun all day with the window up, by the time I leave for work in the evening, the window won't come down. All of the other three will work just fine. So, in the 100+ degree heat, the window right next to me is the only *&$#)$# that won't come down.:bang: After driving it around for close to twenty minutes, or TWO FREAKING MINUTES before I get to work, the window starts working just fine.

I tested this over the last few days. I ran some errands Monday and, sure enough, after twenty minutes of driving around it started working just fine and continued to work until I parked it around 1:30. Again, by the time I was ready to leave for work, the window didn't work until I had driven a while.

IF I leave the Jeep in the shade, everything works as normal. If I leave the window down, everything works the way it's supposed to whether it's in the sun or in the shade.:wtf:

can anyone tell me why my window won't work if it's left up and gets hot?????:anyone:

bluedragon436
07-27-2011, 08:22 AM
I'm wondering if it might not be a lack of lube, especially on that window since it is the one that is/has been used the most during the 11ish years of that XJ's use.. Another possibility I was thinking was that the regulator is going out for the drivers side window.. for the same reason, as it is the one that is/has been getting used the most over the years..

Paddletrucker
07-27-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm wondering if it might not be a lack of lube, especially on that window since it is the one that is/has been used the most during the 11ish years of that XJ's use.. Another possibility I was thinking was that the regulator is going out for the drivers side window.. for the same reason, as it is the one that is/has been getting used the most over the years..

You could be right, but why would it only make a difference if the window is left up in the sun??

bluedragon436
07-27-2011, 08:30 AM
that is part of the reason why I'm thinking the regulator more than anything else..

Paddletrucker
07-27-2011, 08:34 AM
OK. Thanks. Guess I need to do some research on the regulator, then.

I love my Jeep, but I sure wish I could've found one with a 5-spd manual AND manual windows!

I wonder how hard it would be to swap out the doors for manual ones?:thumbsup::p Doing it would be soooo easy. Of course, that's IF you can find doors in good shape. THEN you get to do a paint job.......OR bedliner......hmmmmmmm.:hmmmm2:

LizardRunner
07-27-2011, 08:45 AM
sounds like it's time to test the activator switch. When electrical things work cold but not hot it's usually something expanding so the connection can't be made. I would also lube the regulator like BD mentioned, but I would most definately check the drivers window switch, those get the most use and would wear out first.

bluedragon436
07-27-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm sure someone with way more knowledge and experience than me will speak up and tell other options that it could possibly be.. so don't blow up your stock doors just yet.. just thoughts I was thinking it could be..

4.3LXJ
07-27-2011, 09:24 AM
OK. Thanks. Guess I need to do some research on the regulator, then.

I love my Jeep, but I sure wish I could've found one with a 5-spd manual AND manual windows!

I wonder how hard it would be to swap out the doors for manual ones?:thumbsup::p Doing it would be soooo easy. Of course, that's IF you can find doors in good shape. THEN you get to do a paint job.......OR bedliner......hmmmmmmm.:hmmmm2:

You have lots of ideas here. But since it is a temperature related problem, there is two things I would look at. The switch or the motor (regulator). Since it is heat related, I would lean towards the switch. This is easily replaced. But before I replaced it, I would take the door panel off and pull the plug going to the regulator and stick a meter or test light in it and see if it is getting power when the window won't work. If not, replace the switch, or you can try squirting some WD40 in it and doing the wiggle thing and see if it helps.

As to your question about converting the doors, you can swap the regulators out for manual cranks directly and change the inside panel and it will look and perform like OEM

Paddletrucker
07-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Cool. Thanks.

When I got home from work this morning, I left the windows down, and left the Jeep in the blaring sun. Now, the window will not come up. Before, it would come up if it was left down and in the sun. I moved it into the shade and am fixing to have to go do some rat killin' in town. I'll see if it starts working, or if it waits 'till I've been driving a while.

I'm wondering if the bouncing down the road is recreating the wiggle and I'm mistaking that for it cooling down, now.

Don't know. I'll see.

Right now, though, the pump that circulates water in my 7,000 gallon koi pond quit. I have 12 fish in there that are 11 years old and close to 2 feet long and would be REALLY expensive to replace. I've got to deal with that problem before I get to play with the Jeep. So, off to to see about the pump. Maybe play with toys tomorrow.:mad:

Paddletrucker
07-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Well, I'm almost positive it's in the switch on the door now. If you push in on the switch, don't push it all the way up or down, and hold your mouth juuuust right, it works just fine.:smiley-laughing021:

I guess tomorrow morning after I get back from Dallas, and after I get my pond pump hooked back up and the waterfall working again, I'll pull my door apart and give 'er a look see.

I should also be getting my Hidden Hitch in tomorrow, too. I have a gas tank skid plate that will go on at the same time. So, tomorrow night, maybe I'll have a reliably working window, a gas tank skid plate, and a new hitch!:thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
07-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Good luck

prerunner1982
07-29-2011, 05:11 PM
... and hold your mouth juuuust righ....

I think this was the problem all along.. :D

I may have my driver's door apart this weekend as well. The rod to open the door came off of the inner door handle. Good thing I drive with my windows down or it would be a real PITA to get out of my XJ.