PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel swap??

Paddletrucker
07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
My Cruise doesn't work, and my steering wheel is toast. The last owner put one of those cheap slip on covers over it, and I'm not really liking it. There's an aftermarket wheel I want to use, but it would require my relocating the controls for the cruise, which I pan to get working again, and remove the airbag, which I'm fine with. Prefer it, actually.

Okay. Let me preface this with a disclaimer. I know that no one will recommend removal of the airbag. I can already imagine all the examples of why I shouldn't remove it. Fact is, I'm not a fan of airbags, and never will be. Maybe you've had one save your life. I had one almost take mine. I lightly hit a deer that did hardly any damage to the Chevy truck I was driving and the airbag exploded. Not inflated, exploded. It nearly killed me. Took a helicopter ride to the hospital. My wife DROVE the truck home and I repaired it for about two hundred bucks. a little smashed plastic, that's all. I totaled a Dodge truck when a drunk came up out of a ditch. He had driven off of the road and was trying to make it back up the embankment onto the highway. He finally backed up and goosed it and launched onto the highway, unfortunately, right in front of me. THere was no cross road, and no reason for me to look for him, and he was almost impossible to see, anyway. I smashed into him at about 60mph. I didn't really have time to even hit the brakes. My foot made it over there and that's about it. Hit him almost broad side at 60mph, and the airbag never deployed. I've driven close to 2 million miles in a semi truck and never have wished I had had an airbag in all that time. My current semi doesn't have an airbag and that's fine with me. I wear my seat belt, and I'm a fan of the airbags made into the seat belt harnesses, but I'm no fan of the steering wheel airbags. You may love yours and that's fine with me. I'm not a fan and nothing anyone can say will change that. With all due respect, please don't bother trying to convert me. I understand and accept what comes with not having an airbag.

Okay, sorry for that long winded rant, but every time I've brought this up other places, I'm inundated with examples of how airbags save lives. I get it. I may be stubborn, but that's me. Two bad experiences for me has sealed the deal.

So, with all that crap being said, how difficult would it be to remove the airbag and relocate the buttons for the cruise onto the dash and put in a steering wheel I like better than the stock one? Anyone done this? I'm real picky about my steering wheels, and in my semi trucks, I've always been able to change them out without messing with anything besides the little horn in the center of the wheel. I found a wheel I'd really like in the jeep, but I'm wondering just how much I'm biting off here.

Thanks.

bigjim350
07-25-2011, 07:24 PM
The steering wheel swap would be pretty easy. Just use the after market adapter for an older jeep that has no airbag. The cruise would be tricky though. You will need a good wiring diagram. Maybe it would just be easier to use an older non-airbag column since the cruise is on the blinker switch. I also feel the same as you about airbags. Been pretty hurt by a few, when I would have been just fine if not for a stupid canvas bag blowing up in my face.

Mudderoy
07-25-2011, 11:33 PM
I think you can remove the air bag. I would image the steering wheel controls aren't working because of a bad clock work. I had mine replaced several years ago. The air bag light was on, the horn, and cruise control did not work.

4.3LXJ
07-26-2011, 10:05 AM
physically converting the wheel can be done. However the cruise controls are a different matter. The best you could do would be to remove then to the dash area or do do a retro with an earlier column, which would be a lot of work.

LizardRunner
07-27-2011, 09:56 AM
I prefer racing restraints over airbags. I would simply remove the air bag from a new wheel so you don't have the headache of retrofitting the cruisecontrol. "Jeeps are us" http://www.jeepsareus.com/c/CHEROKEE.html carries brand new steering wheels.

Paddletrucker
07-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I prefer racing restraints over airbags. I would simply remove the air bag from a new wheel so you don't have the headache of retrofitting the cruisecontrol. "Jeeps are us" http://www.jeepsareus.com/c/CHEROKEE.html carries brand new steering wheels.

I'd like a different steering wheel, though. One that does not look like the stock one. Also, I'd like to keep the cruise, but move it to switches on the dash. Probably too much of a hassle, really. I like the Jeeps are us site, BTW. I already have the debit card out.....browsing.:D:D

LizardRunner
07-27-2011, 12:21 PM
well if your going to dash switches for the cruise, check out momo steering wheels etc. get the one you want along with the installation stuff and go for it. Da Lizard will end up with a momo on it at some point and since I don't have cruise it will be a snap.

Paddletrucker
07-27-2011, 01:09 PM
OOoooooohhhh.......Aaaaahhhh.......I like those! A little too steep for me, though.

THe one I want looks a lot like that, but costs around 50 bucks, I think. Maybe one day.

XJ4IV
07-27-2011, 06:02 PM
LOL well you can do an awesome and VERY cheap cruise control lots of TJ guys have a throttle control for wheeling basically its a bicycle shifter and cable run the cable to the throttle and then you can mount your throttle control lever on your shifter.
as for the steering wheel issue... just opt for the kit to mount your new wheel and you should be golden, I recently upgraded my 92 with no bag on it to a 99 that HAS a bag but no it is not operative cause of the clock spring and several other components but as for a wheeler im with you SCREW the bags!as for the day to day use Im kinda either way I feel the ONLY way a bag would be able to do a better job than my reflexes is if I were in a head on collision at 45 + MPH