PDA

View Full Version : Storage Shed

Mudderoy
07-25-2011, 04:24 PM
I've been needing a place to put my extra crap in my two car garage so I have more room to work on the Jeeps!

I was looking at a storage shed at Home Depot this weekend and I was pretty happy to see the prices I remembered from a few years ago.

After reading the details of the sheds I was a little concerned.

For example the "kits" do NOT come with flooring or shingles! I mean what the hell?!?!? Do they think you'll want a storage shed without a floor?

I thought I'd post here and see if any of you had experience with this and could recommend some helpful tips.

I noticed the frame of the walls weren't even 2x4's. The looked like 2x2's.

I looked at a 10'x8' and a 12'x10' The 12x10 was taller and had a bit of a loft, which I liked for the additional storage.

I'm starting to think I'd be better off just drawing up my own design and buying all the stuff I need instead of going the kit route.

finneys98xj
07-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Bout the cheapest way to get engough room is get one of those cheap metal carports and close it in yourself.

Mudderoy
07-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Bout the cheapest way to get engough room is get one of those cheap metal carports and close it in yourself.

Oh thanks, but I didn't mention. I'm going to do the wood and shingle. No metal. Has to look decent, and the metal to me looks too cheap. Plastic is a little better but...

Paddletrucker
07-25-2011, 04:59 PM
My uncle just did the same thing. He priced all of the sheds and then the materials to frame it up himself. It was wayyy cheaper to frame it up himself. He ended up spending all the money he had budgeted for a complete shed, and got one that was much larger than the kit.

The drawback is that it's not going to ever be moved. It's right where it will always be. Of course, I tried to move one that had been sitting for about 12 years and it was impossible to move it without totally destroying it, anyhow.

Firemanray
07-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Design and build your own. cheaper and stronger than a so called "kit".

xjpirate
07-25-2011, 10:03 PM
you should check out northern tool & equipment, they sell a plan kit and it includes all hardware and all you have to do is buy the lumber(which is nice cuz you can buy the materials you like best) and there are many diff. sizes to choose from also

default83
07-26-2011, 06:44 AM
just one thing to think about, me being a surveyor lol, check your neighborhood restrictions, there could be stuff in there about building heights/type of material, etc.....just something to keep in mind.

bluedragon436
07-26-2011, 07:57 AM
We have different places on the side of the road, as well as shops that sell storage sheds that they deliver to your house on a flat bed truck, or roll back wrecker.. I was looking at picking on up for the house, so we can get rid of the stuff that is currently stored in our house right now.. and for the pricing for a ready to use storage shed, they are pretty comprable to the sheds at Home Depot with the added cost of flooring, shingles, and the paint needed to complete those.. just a thought on another option!!

Mudderoy
07-26-2011, 09:17 AM
We have different places on the side of the road, as well as shops that sell storage sheds that they deliver to your house on a flat bed truck, or roll back wrecker.. I was looking at picking on up for the house, so we can get rid of the stuff that is currently stored in our house right now.. and for the pricing for a ready to use storage shed, they are pretty comprable to the sheds at Home Depot with the added cost of flooring, shingles, and the paint needed to complete those.. just a thought on another option!!

Yeah that would be nice, but they'd never get it in the back yard. Well not without a sky hook, or a helicopter.

steph74
07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Sam's club used to have one in plastic that looked really decent and not too pricey....
you may take a look to

Mudderoy
07-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Sam's club used to have one in plastic that looked really decent and not too pricey....
you may take a look to

Oh I know. I did like that one. I was big and would be pretty easy to break down and move. I'll have to see if they still have it. I still think the wooden one would look better. Be a little fun building too.

Rubbermade(sp?) I believe. I wonder what the sun would do to it's color over time though.

LizardRunner
07-26-2011, 03:49 PM
after about 5 years, the rubbermaid units fade. The one great thing about building your own is that you can set it up just the way you want it. if you want to be able to move one, build it on 4x4 beam joists set up like a sled. also you might want to go with a barn roof style so you can have nice overhead storage.

Paddletrucker
07-26-2011, 07:07 PM
I've got a Rubbermaid shed. I'd sell it if I thought I would be able to sleep at night after passing such a POS off onto someone else. I would not even feel right about paying someone to take it and trash their yard up with it. I hate the damn thing. It will fade. It will warp and the doors won't close properly. It will not be waterproof. The roof will blow off of it, regardless of how good you think it's secured, with every little storm. It will be a complete waste of money that will piss you off every time you walk outside and look at it.

Or, at least that's been my experience. LOL.

ice_cold
07-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Canadian piping in....Bought a "shed kit", it included all my hardware, shingles, floor and door hardware. 2x4 construction with pre-built trusses. It is a 12x14 and mounted on skids. $1200 delivered, 2 days to build. Wife filled it up in 1 day!!!

Mudderoy
07-26-2011, 09:42 PM
I've got a Rubbermaid shed. I'd sell it if I thought I would be able to sleep at night after passing such a POS off onto someone else. I would not even feel right about paying someone to take it and trash their yard up with it. I hate the damn thing. It will fade. It will warp and the doors won't close properly. It will not be waterproof. The roof will blow off of it, regardless of how good you think it's secured, with every little storm. It will be a complete waste of money that will piss you off every time you walk outside and look at it.

Or, at least that's been my experience. LOL.

lol wow thanks. Yeah I was going to go with 2x4's and stuff.

XJ4IV
07-26-2011, 10:52 PM
I've been needing a place to put my extra crap in my two car garage so I have more room to work on the Jeeps!

I was looking at a storage shed at Home Depot this weekend and I was pretty happy to see the prices I remembered from a few years ago.

After reading the details of the sheds I was a little concerned.

For example the "kits" do NOT come with flooring or shingles! I mean what the hell?!?!? Do they think you'll want a storage shed without a floor?

I thought I'd post here and see if any of you had experience with this and could recommend some helpful tips.

I noticed the frame of the walls weren't even 2x4's. The looked like 2x2's.

I looked at a 10'x8' and a 12'x10' The 12x10 was taller and had a bit of a loft, which I liked for the additional storage.

I'm starting to think I'd be better off just drawing up my own design and buying all the stuff I need instead of going the kit route.

They design those to be JUST a shelter for outdoor stuff like lawn equipment
thats why they dont have floors... as for the shingles... you got me on that one, the studs 2x2 is more than enough to support the weight of the exterior aluminum or plywood wall.. your not trying to hang a plasma on it are ya???

Mudderoy
07-27-2011, 02:51 AM
They design those to be JUST a shelter for outdoor stuff like lawn equipment
thats why they dont have floors... as for the shingles... you got me on that one, the studs 2x2 is more than enough to support the weight of the exterior aluminum or plywood wall.. your not trying to hang a plasma on it are ya???

Really? So you are saying there aren't any floor joists either? Just the walls attached to each other? I wonder why the demo unit wasn't built that way then. Seems it would cause less bitching about stuff missing.

I'll find out more next time I go. I'll take some pictures and talk to someone about it.

I really think they are just trying to get the price down by not adding in a couple of sheets of 3/4 inch plywood.

bluedragon436
07-27-2011, 06:16 AM
The last time I was @ Home Depot looking at their shed kits, I talked to them about it.. and they said they have the floor joists in there, just not the actualy flooring, that way you can purchase whatever thickness as well as type of wood you want to put in there.. some people like thicker than others, some like actual plywood over particle.. so that way it allows you to pick what you want.. they said that is also why they don't sell it with shingles.. that way you can pick and choose the type of roof covering you want and colors, etc..

BlueXJ
07-27-2011, 09:24 AM
My lodge needed a shed for storage and bought one from HD and of course had no floor. We adjusted it until it was level then put several lengths of re-bar in the floor and poured concrete. It is now permanent and I doubt it will blow away in a hurricane.
One of our members is a roofer and he put the roof on with remnants he had saved from different jobs, for no charge, We now have a substantial building for about $700.

Mudderoy
07-27-2011, 09:26 AM
The last time I was @ Home Depot looking at their shed kits, I talked to them about it.. and they said they have the floor joists in there, just not the actualy flooring, that way you can purchase whatever thickness as well as type of wood you want to put in there.. some people like thicker than others, some like actual plywood over particle.. so that way it allows you to pick what you want.. they said that is also why they don't sell it with shingles.. that way you can pick and choose the type of roof covering you want and colors, etc..

Thanks, that makes sense. Much more than having a bare floor. I was thinking that couldn't be very structurally strong with out the floor joists.