PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wiring

rugidone
07-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Last time I hauled a trailer with my jeep, the lights were extremely dim, thinking it was just a rusty ground, I thought nothing of it.

This past weekend, I hitched up to my tent trailer with new grounds, lights are still dim, so i through the dmm on the hitch plug, and it was reading around 5 volts with blinkers, brakes and running lights, if they were on, same voltage across their corresponding plugs.

Because it has a Litemate converter in the back, I backprobed the wiring a little further back, same voltage. I am guessing 5 volts isn't what it should be getting.

Any suggestions where to look without ripping all the current wiring out lol.

4.3LXJ
07-25-2011, 10:12 AM
It is your trailer lights that are dim right? But your SJ lights are OK? It is probably that converter. Check the voltage going into it and out of it. You can stick a pin or needle in the wires and use your volt meter on that. That is probably where the drop is.

rugidone
07-25-2011, 11:07 AM
XJ lights are good, I did check the feed wires going into the converter, same voltage as after it. Its all of the pins that are low, so it seems strange that the drop is the same across the board.

rugidone
07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Might just have to tear apart the cargo area and rerun all the wiring.

4.3LXJ
07-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I had mine apart a couple of days ago. Of course it is an 86, so it might be a little different. But I think it is factory, looks like it anyway. It has wires that go to the wiring to the lights. This is what I was talking about. Check the voltage to the box in these wires. You already know what it is coming out. You probably just need a new box.