PDA

View Full Version : a/c doesn't work good in hot weather?

greenchevy
07-23-2011, 09:40 AM
My a/c works great in cooler weather and at night but during the day it doesnt work good at all. Any ideas would be great. This started happening last month. Last summer and up to last month it worked great.

Iasked some people and they told me that I have air in my system. Does that sound right?

4.3LXJ
07-23-2011, 10:23 AM
What is your charging history?

Metlic53
07-23-2011, 02:20 PM
how many miles? oh sorry, just saw it, 377k? is that on the original a/c compressor?

bigjim350
07-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Could just be a little low on freon

saar
07-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Possible issues:
1. As claimed before - little low on freon
2. You may want to clean its radiator - the little small one on the front, wash it with water hose (outside part only).
3. Make sure the electrical vent is working, an improvement: add a switch to turn it on as soon as you turn on the A/C. that helps too.

Saar.

msmoorenburg
07-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Check for a side glass, if you see a dancing bubble/bubbles its low. That system is super easy to charge" fill till the bubble is gone" :D

bluedragon436
07-25-2011, 07:35 AM
I would def. say if nothing else pick yourself up one of the little freon recharge kits with the little gauge on it.. and try refilling it.. if it works great after that then your good, if it works great after that for a little while than returns to how it was, then you probably have a leak somewhere.. and as said above, try cleaning your A/C condensor with some water.. might be clogged up a bit..

steph74
07-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Looks like you have the old system A/C.... I don;t know where to find the recharge.... certainly not easy to find... I bet it is still R12.... the really nasty one by the way ;)

Without highjacking this, do they all have the little radiator that Saar is talking about ? I am pretty sure mine does not have such a radiator....

4.3LXJ
07-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Steph, the radiator Saar is describing is the condenser core in front of the radiator. All AC systems have them so they can dissipate heat gained from the evaporator core in the conditioned space.

The site glass Matt described makes it easy to charge these systems. No gauges needed.

steph74
07-26-2011, 10:41 AM
dang I am pretty sure I have A/C but I will need to look if I see the radiator because I don;t remember seeing one last time I canged my radiator..... could explain why my A/c is not that great ;)