PDA

View Full Version : New to Cherokees but not jeeps

AnthonyB
07-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Hey Guys Im anthony from Tucson Az
i Drive a 1998 cherokee 4.0 4x4
i have a 6.5 lift on it 32 inch bfgs (daily driver)
JKS Quicker Disconnects (just got them and i love em)
Advance adapters SYE kit
Custom Driveshaft K&N filter
and it has one hell of a death wobble

its been to chiva falls and chiminey rock Ive owned it for about 2 weeks
ill post pics in a second

1ATony
07-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the site

Mudderoy
07-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Hey Guys Im anthony from Tucson Az
i Drive a 1998 cherokee 4.0 4x4
i have a 6.5 lift on it 32 inch bfgs (daily driver)
JKS Quicker Disconnects (just got them and i love em)
Advance adapters SYE kit
Custom Driveshaft K&N filter
and it has one hell of a death wobble

its been to chiva falls and chiminey rock Ive owned it for about 2 weeks
ill post pics in a second

That's great, thanks.

I haven't had death wobble on my XJ. I had it on my 1983 Chevy pickup. Boy that was exciting when it would happen, randomly. :shocker:

4.3LXJ
07-21-2011, 04:22 PM
The famous death wobble. Tell us more about your suspension lift, components etc.

xj4life2
07-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Death wobble can be cured !!! Usually its the trak bar at fault bad bushings, loose or not corrrect for the lift. Let us know more about it and we'll give ya a hand DW is no fun and ruins alot of shorts !!!!

AnthonyB
07-22-2011, 12:29 AM
It's a 4.5 rough country lift with 2 inch pucks up front (not my choice bought it that way) I will be doing 6.5 springs and 6.5 leaves from rustys along with the ironman fab long arm kit it currently has stock upper CA's and thats what I'm thinking is the current cause but I'm open to suggestions

AnthonyB
07-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Just did plugs,wires,cap,rotor, water pump and serpentine, it has 115,000 miles on it by the way I do not recommend any spark plugs besides champion copper plus I had NGK platinums and it was runnin like crap sputtering and misfiring and soon as I put the champions in it purred like a kitten

4.3LXJ
07-22-2011, 01:09 AM
OK on that death wobble. The 2" pucks may be your problem. I would suggest having your alignment checked and have them check your castor. Frequently when pucks are added it pushes the arms down far enough the castor goes positive. This is particularly bad with short arms. When you get Andy's stuff, be sure to tell him where you sit now and he will set you up with the right length on the arms. Also, have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you look underneath at the steering components. It all should move when it is supposed to. Pay particular attention to the track bar bushing on the axel.

AnthonyB
07-22-2011, 01:52 AM
I was thinking of removing the pucks completely and getting an alignment and then doing Andys kit off the 4.5 lift, in your opinion do ou think I will gain THAT much more with a 6.5 over the 4.5? Thx for the help guys

AnthonyB
07-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Also is there anyone you guys know if here in Tucson that really really knows Cherokees someone to ask in person about death wobble and such ?

4.3LXJ
07-22-2011, 09:09 AM
I was thinking of removing the pucks completely and getting an alignment and then doing Andys kit off the 4.5 lift, in your opinion do ou think I will gain THAT much more with a 6.5 over the 4.5? Thx for the help guys

Lift height is a matter of taste and philosophy, if I can use that word here. The thing is that you can lift an XJ 4.5" with a properly designed kit and it will work fine. But go that extra 2" which does not seem like much, but it will put you in an area where you are stressing and making the steering components operate at angles they were not really designed to work at. Now I say this sitting at 8" of lift. But I have added a high steer to the steering components so it would not do that. My recommendation is to use the 4.5" stuff and then if you need to do some extra trimming for your tires if need be.

AnthonyB
07-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Right on thanks I thames what I'm gonna do cause it's a daily driver and weekend warrior so I think I'm going to remove the pucks and get an alignment

Metlic53
07-23-2011, 02:25 PM
:worthlesspics:

:D

bluedragon436
07-23-2011, 10:33 PM
:welcome: to xjtalk from Delaware/Maryland!! I am using 4.5" lift components with pucks on top of the coils, and adj. shakles in the rear with no vibes or death wobble.. Still running all stock steering parts, and with a TC drop.. I think it is sort of hit or miss as far as running that way on the Jeeps.. I do plan on upgrading my steering to a high steer, as well as do the SYE and get rid of the TC drop..

modestmar00xj
07-24-2011, 10:29 AM
hey welcome to xjtalk! right now im dealing with Death Wobble. ill figure it out!

AnthonyB
07-26-2011, 02:19 AM
I have stock uppers that I'm suspecting, anyone use kevins off road track bar?