PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Rail Shifters.

bigjim350
07-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Been thinking of adding one of the rail shifters that RADesignproducts sales.

http://youtu.be/_etFlysQAPU

http://radesignsproducts.com/images/Baja%20II%20002.JPG

http://radesignsproducts.com/14Shiftcontrollers.aspx
I think this would give great control over your rig while your wheeling, like being able to maintain low gear. Also works great in swap application cause it can work with out your TCU. Thinking bout doing one, and just wanted to get yalls thoughts on it. If I do install one you can expect on hell of a write up on it.

jeepxj95
07-17-2011, 02:21 AM
it would work great. i have a very simple set up but does the samething. thinking about addin one to my x mas list

4.3LXJ
07-17-2011, 09:44 AM
If it works, it would be great. One of the things I don't understand about the XJ is the lack of not being able to lock the tranny in first gear. What were they thinking anyway?

RADesignsProducts
07-17-2011, 10:05 AM
If it works, it would be great. One of the things I don't understand about the XJ is the lack of not being able to lock the tranny in first gear. What were they thinking anyway?

Just paid my Vendor subscription so I'm doing a intro/promo here.:D Thanks for the heads up bigjim350.:goodjob:
Oh, they work, they work real well.
Features:
Being able to hold any gear.
Start in any gear. Really nice when you run a doubler.
Having real compression braking when you combine the right gear selection of the floor shifter. Check out the FAQ page on RADesigns website. http://radesignsproducts.com/FAQ.aspx

bigjim350
07-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Thank you for becomeing a vendor. And let me tell ya, these guys have great customer service, and im not even a customer yet. Expect a great write up in the comming weeks when i order one. Hope the helps my offroading, as well as now i can quit messing with the detent cable to get the right shift. It will be ALL at my command bwuhaha

Mudderoy
07-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Thank you for becomeing a vendor. And let me tell ya, these guys have great customer service, and im not even a customer yet. Expect a great write up in the comming weeks when i order one. Hope the helps my offroading, as well as now i can quit messing with the detent cable to get the right shift. It will be ALL at my command bwuhaha

Yeah I like the idea of having full transmission control. I'll be looking forward to the write up and use comments.

4.3LXJ
07-17-2011, 09:45 PM

I have that capability on my own and I can tell you it is a godsend.

XJ4IV
07-17-2011, 11:33 PM
just a heads up... if you unplug the TCU under the pass side lower dash part you can shift it manually and when you leave it in drive it will ONLY operate in 3rd gear considered "limp mode"

XJ4IV
07-17-2011, 11:34 PM
oh and Uhhhhh the title REALLY caught my attention jim lol

jeepxj95
07-18-2011, 12:45 PM
I have that capability on my own and I can tell you it is a godsend.

yes it is.

xj4life2
07-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Great product and a great company to work with , welcome aboard !!!!

DETOURS
07-28-2011, 08:02 AM
I use mine for the 1st gear low option, works great, dependable for about 7 years now.......zero problems. ;)

JENSSEN
07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
I want one for the competition XJ badly! I have followed this product for several years and in my opinion it's second to none!!!

jeepxj95
07-28-2011, 09:32 PM
I use mine for the 1st gear low option, works great, dependable for about 7 years now.......zero problems. ;)

wich shifter do u have and where did u mount it (pic?) ?

saar
07-29-2011, 11:17 PM
It looks great. being unable to use 1st gear only is one major fault in the xj.
If I'll install one of these, will the AW4 function as auto trans' too or just manual?
Saar.

jeepxj95
07-29-2011, 11:44 PM
both depends on how u wire it up.

jeepxj95
07-30-2011, 12:06 AM
if u want to know let me know and ill post how it works. and how i do mine on the cheap.

jeepxj95
07-30-2011, 12:09 AM
if u want to know how to do it and how it works ill post it up. and show u how i did mine on the cheap when my tcu died

jeepxj95
07-30-2011, 12:10 AM
sorry for the triple post. slow ps3

RADesignsProducts
07-31-2011, 01:22 PM
It looks great. being unable to use 1st gear only is one major fault in the xj.
If I'll install one of these, will the AW4 function as auto trans' too or just manual?
Saar.

Yes,
You can have the option of either by using switches. Check out the website it has .pdf's of the Install Instructions which describe what kind of switches you need and how they are wired in. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

honesT
08-02-2011, 10:32 PM
A few different sites have this idea and I might go this way. http://peakputters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=885&sid=d7876a27d2a81c00a0bfbde88069f9d8

Best so far http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/aw4shiftmod.html

bigjim350
08-02-2011, 10:55 PM
True you could control 1-2 with switches. But I would prefer the dependability and full contorl offered by the rail shifter.

LizardRunner
08-03-2011, 11:36 AM
wow this thread almost makes me want an automatic tranny just to have a rail shifter.

RADesignsProducts
08-03-2011, 11:59 PM
wow this thread almost makes me want an automatic tranny just to have a rail shifter.

That's the perfect use for a Rail or Baja II for that matter. Doing a swap and you don't need a TCM to wire in. Also it is really easy to drive a full manual control AW4, around town you only need 1st and 2nd, not a lot of shifting.

And when you are wheelin' "One foot on the brake and one on the gas!" :D

saar
08-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Hi,
Sorry for the late response, had some busy days...
Thank you for the information. I will save that link, it is something that bothers me for a while and I guess I will use it someday soon (had to find the budget and time for it)
Thanks,
Saar.

jeepxj95
08-04-2011, 06:59 AM
That's the perfect use for a Rail or Baja II for that matter. Doing a swap and you don't need a TCM to wire in. Also it is really easy to drive a full manual control AW4, around town you only need 1st and 2nd, not a lot of shifting.

And when you are wheelin' "One foot on the brake and one on the gas!" :D

yes it is. ? is wheres the best place to mount it? i have the full console.

RADesignsProducts
08-04-2011, 06:57 PM
yes it is. ? is wheres the best place to mount it? i have the full console.

Most common mounting for a Rail is on the side of the console where your hand rests when you are out wheelin'. It's small and will fit most anywhere.