PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Purcell69!!!

rguignard
07-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Hi Purcell69, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Listen/watch to the Jeep Cherokee xjtalk.com show! Live on Wed. 8pm CT! Also available on iTunes!

Purcell69
07-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Hello all. I'm just here to gain a bit of knowledge for an upcoming project and one I'm currently working on. I currently have two XJ Cherokees (my 3rd and 4th). One is going to be the daughter's DD, a 1986 4 door. As of right now, the deceased 2.8 is in the driveway, being harvested for parts. I have a 3.4 GMPP crate motor that came out of XJ #4, the "Parts Department". I've been going through the 3.4, installing new gaskets and cleaning while the motor is out, fixing redneck repairs made by the PO, before I swing it back into place.

The Parts Department will be my next project. Since I took the 3.4 and 700R4 for use in the daughter's Jeep, I'm thinking about getting a Blazer 4.3 drivetrain to use in Parts Department, perhaps with a carb and about 4" of lift.

Anyway, I'm here for the reading right now...:D

-Joe

cantab27
07-16-2011, 07:00 PM
hi Joe welcome to xjtalk....sounds like ya got a build going on....post some pics when ya get a chance......don't hesitate to ask any questions ,,,some good jeep knowledge on here...

4.3LXJ
07-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Welcome. That 4.3L is not as easy as it might sound, but if you have already had a 700R4 in, that is half the battle. There are other things you will have to do when it comes time.

Purcell69
07-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Welcome. That 4.3L is not as easy as it might sound, but if you have already had a 700R4 in, that is half the battle. There are other things you will have to do when it comes time.

I was reading your build with the 4.3. That really is quite a machine you have going there. You've done a lot of work, very nicely I might add. The 700R4 I have is for the 2.8/3.4 V6, so it will not work for the 4.3. I got it with the Parts Department Jeep, as well as a left hand NP231 T-case for the 700R4.

Once I'm done with the DD for the daughter, I figure the 4.3 project can take as long as it needs to. Craigslist has been pretty pleantiful with 4.3 drivetrains for a little bit of nothing, so sourcing won't be too difficult. I'm going to keep mine fairly simple, without the electronic controls, since it won't see much in the way of extreme conditions. I'm thinking an Edelbrock 500CFM on top should do well for fuel supply.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh221/Noble413/IMG_0144.jpg

This is the DD...

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh221/Noble413/White%20Jeep/IMG_0151.jpg

and this is the Parts Department.

-Joe

4.3LXJ
07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
If you use a carburetor it won't be as hard as mine was. Our smog laws complicated things immensely for me. You will be able to get motor mounts from AA or Novak. Use the 3.8L exhaust manifold for a little more room and you might end up using throttle linkage from an S10.

Purcell69
07-17-2011, 02:38 PM
If you use a carburetor it won't be as hard as mine was. Our smog laws complicated things immensely for me. You will be able to get motor mounts from AA or Novak. Use the 3.8L exhaust manifold for a little more room and you might end up using throttle linkage from an S10.

That's good info on the 3.8 exhaust. I hadn't thought of that. Since OK doesn't smog or inspect, I'm pretty much free to mod as I see fit. I'm thinking a Vortec 4.3 with the Edelbrock intake and 4 barrel should be pretty simple and along the lines of what I'm looking for. I'm no stranger to fuel injection. I put a throttle body system in my '57 Chevy 1/2 ton. I'm just trying to keep the Cherokee simple.

-Joe

1ATony
07-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the site Joe. Looks like a pretty good DD.