PDA

View Full Version : temperature gauge oscillating

steph74
07-15-2011, 10:21 AM
well not really oscillating.... but this is what happens and I would like to here different opinions on why this is doing this...

over the winter, my temperature gauge was acting funny.... temperature would rise to the 210 mark (just a bit above actually) and drop immediately to the mark under... then get up to 210 ... hold for a fez seconds.. then go down to the first quarter of the dial.....

There is no really overheating, nor over boiling (since I changed the reservoir bottle cap to a tighter one)....

It was going this before I changed the head. The radiator and the thermostat are new and it was doing this with the previous thermostat.

Could it be the sending unit that is bad ? I am not sure, I used a thermal probe on the engine block and even if it is not to the same range of temperature, I can see that temperature is decreasing when the gauge says it does...

could it be an air bubble ? I have the old closed system and I tried to purge it as described elsewhere here... still a possibility. What I have not done is drilling a hole in the thermostat as recommended by some to help prevent air pocket formation.

Anyway I was just curious to hear from you. it doesn;t bother me in the sense that it is not overheating, but it is my understanding that temperature too low can also crate some problems in emission and fuel consumption... so if I can fix that easy ... why not

Mudderoy
07-15-2011, 10:57 AM
well not really oscillating.... but this is what happens and I would like to here different opinions on why this is doing this...

over the winter, my temperature gauge was acting funny.... temperature would rise to the 210 mark (just a bit above actually) and drop immediately to the mark under... then get up to 210 ... hold for a fez seconds.. then go down to the first quarter of the dial.....

There is no really overheating, nor over boiling (since I changed the reservoir bottle cap to a tighter one)....

It was going this before I changed the head. The radiator and the thermostat are new and it was doing this with the previous thermostat.

Could it be the sending unit that is bad ? I am not sure, I used a thermal probe on the engine block and even if it is not to the same range of temperature, I can see that temperature is decreasing when the gauge says it does...

could it be an air bubble ? I have the old closed system and I tried to purge it as described elsewhere here... still a possibility. What I have not done is drilling a hole in the thermostat as recommended by some to help prevent air pocket formation.

Anyway I was just curious to hear from you. it doesn;t bother me in the sense that it is not overheating, but it is my understanding that temperature too low can also crate some problems in emission and fuel consumption... so if I can fix that easy ... why not

I wonder if you are seeing the thermostat open and close. It really shouldn't close after reaching operating temperature though.

4.3LXJ
07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Steph. You are seeing the tstat open and close. But it is kind of erratic. You can fix that by drilling a small, like less than 1/16" hole in the top of the tstat. This will allow coolant to flow at a small rate through it and get some of that warm coolant up front before it gets so hot and opens the tstat all the way and then shut when cooler coolant hits it. It will also help you burp the system if needed.