PDA

View Full Version : Battery Cable Upgrade

bluedragon436
07-14-2011, 08:20 AM
So being deployed I have plenty of time to research upgrades and projects for my XJ. The three biggest projects I want to do shortly after getting back are:

4 AWG battery cable upgrade
Headlight harness upgrade
V8 Grand Cherokee (or Durango/Ram) altenator upgrade

Granted there are a few other projects I plan on doing once I get home, but these are the ones I am looking for some input on from you guys. I have read quite a bit over the last two years of ownership about these upgrades and to me they seem well worth the effort and costs. One reason I am thinking of doing the cable upgrade other than the obvious is because my cables and especially where they connect to the battery terminals look like pure hell.. I guess while I am working on pulling the Alt. from the V8 Durango/Ram I might look into pulling the steering gear box too (does anyone know if the steering gearbox from a V8 ZJ would be the same upgrade as the V8 Durango??).. might as well get the needed parts for that upgrade while I am picking through the JY..

I guess I am just looking to get you guys' feedback as to whether these upgrades are worth the time/effort/costs??

I do plan on picking up an Optima battery as soon as I can.. but for now will have to stick with my crap ass battery that is in there, unless the wife decides not to start my Jeep again while I'm deployed.. she didn't start it until last week which was the first time it has been started since I left a month ago, and she said it almost didn't start.. so might need a new battery already.. but it usually starts/runs just fine when I drive it almost every day, so I am wondering if there might be something allowing it to die off slowly.

4.3LXJ
07-14-2011, 10:17 AM
The box needs to come from the Durango. You will recognize the difference once you see one.

oderdene
07-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I upgraded mine, http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_51ciAr6dNJM/TRyjyFz6CLI/AAAAAAAABZ4/oWp1YmavPxc/s320/IMG_4906.JPG

Made upgraded battery cable:
+ Battery to PDC - RED
+ Battery to Starter - RED
- Battery to Block - BLACK
- Battery to Fenderwell - BLACK
- Block to Firewall - BLACK

I used 2AWG black welding cable and soldered on heavy duty copper loops at each end and of course heat shrink tube. 120cm; 80cm; 40cm and 40cm; 40cm. Some are bit longer, but for me they are ok.

XJ Rat
07-14-2011, 12:37 PM
First off, thanks for what you are doing.

As you, I have done a lot of researching and this is the company I will buy my cables from. My daughter just got an 89 Pioneer. I am also going to recommend these people to her.

http://www.custombatterycables.com/index.htm

Glenn

BlueXJ
07-15-2011, 07:28 PM
This is the guy I buy electrical upgrades from.
http://www.kelleyswip.com/electric.html

jeepxj95
07-15-2011, 11:30 PM

herd good things about his cables. i want to get a set.

bluedragon436
07-21-2011, 08:39 AM

This is the guy who I was going to purchase my battery cable upgrade from. I am talking to him now about ordering it and having it shipped to me here while I'm deployed so I'll have it in hand for when I get home and am on my R&R time.. I am also talking to him about a headlight harness upgrade that he had started developing, but has been put on hold due to lack of fundage for more projects as well as some personal things, which I fully understand him putting in from of hobbies/ side businesses.. I am going to pick up my upgrade, just trying to figure out if I want to go with the 4 AWG or the 1 AWG.. I think that the 4 AWG will work just fine for my setup.. and either way will be way better than the stock crap.. I am also going to step up to the marine battery terminals.

I am sort of wondering what kind of interest there would be in this kit from him, as I have been thinking of trying to talk to him after I can figure out some interests and see if I might be able to get him on here as a sponsor.. maybe help his business out a little bit that way!!

Mudderoy
07-21-2011, 09:31 AM
I upgraded mine, http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_51ciAr6dNJM/TRyjyFz6CLI/AAAAAAAABZ4/oWp1YmavPxc/s320/IMG_4906.JPG

+ Battery to PDC - RED

I used 2AWG black welding cable and soldered on heavy duty copper loops at each end and of course heat shrink tube. 120cm; 80cm; 40cm and 40cm; 40cm. Some are bit longer, but for me they are ok.

Just re-reading this. I didn't know you made them. Beautiful work. I thought that you had just bought them this way.

bluedragon436
07-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Yeah I thought he had purchased those cable as well.. tells you how much attention I was paying when I read that post... I thought about making my own.. but mine would def. not come out looking that clean!!

4.3LXJ
07-22-2011, 03:09 PM

+ Battery to PDC - RED

I made my own the same way. But in my case running them from the back area I used 00 cable

bluedragon436
07-23-2011, 04:04 AM
Yeah if I were building my rig to be a trail only setup.. I would def. run the battery to the back.. but for now I would like to just upgrade my charging system as much as I can, and def. want to replace my fairly worn out looking battery cables.. guess this upcoming 1st of the month paycheck I'll order my batter cables that way I'll have them in hand before heading home... can't wait.. hopefully I can find a good deal on a V8 alt. to upgrade my alt. at the same time.. then I'll just be waiting on the upgraded battery..

4.3LXJ
07-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Mine are in the back because I have two of them and I simply ran out of room under the hood.

cpttuna
08-10-2011, 08:56 PM
headlight harness upgrade possibility: LMC truck 36-3580 about $40.00 shipped to your front door. I have 5 cherokees and a 78 ford bronco all with this harness

bluedragon436
08-10-2011, 10:22 PM
I will have to look into ordering that harness right before I head back stateside... At least it will help make the crappy sealed beam lights a little bit useful until I can get the replacement assemblies

jeepxj95
08-10-2011, 11:46 PM
did u get the single headlight harness?

cpttuna
08-14-2011, 09:02 PM
I don't know if I understand your question. the harness covers both high and low beams.

jeepxj95
08-14-2011, 10:19 PM
k u answered mine. to clarify 83-87 i think came with the option of single head lights ( 2 total ) or dual head lights ( or squads ). hope this helps

cpttuna
08-15-2011, 07:13 AM
there are different harness configurations out on the market depending on what style headlights you have. I am speaking only about the single headlight configuration. that's why the harness fits both my cherokee and my 78 bronco.

cpttuna
08-19-2011, 09:40 PM
If you make your own cables, you have the option of what guage and length you want your cables to be. I decided to purchase mine. I did buy them longer than stock .

bad luck
07-07-2013, 11:35 PM
I made up my cables. I know a lot of people like to use welding cable, but I don't. It isn't as gas and oil resistant, as normal battery cable. Though it is more flexible. It may be overkill but I used 1/0 gauge. On the positive and negative sides. I still have to upgrade my headlight harness too. I have the relays and all the wire and parts I need, I just need to find the time. Also I very seldom drive after dark. But you never know when I might have to. And my cables are crimped, not soldered.

bulrid8
07-08-2013, 12:56 AM
Just so you know, welding cable is double sheathed and about triple resistant to oils and fluids then battery cable is. That is what makes it so nice. Plus, it is fine copper wire, which carries current better and less prone to stress breaks.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

bad luck
07-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Fine strands of wire do not carry more current than thicker ones. For example 12 AWG is either 7 strand or 24 strand (machine tool wire), and both are rated at 20 amps. Current traveling on the surface of the wire is called "skin effect" and is proportional to the frequency of an alternating current, it has no effect with our 12vdc systems. And for your claim that welding cable is about 3 times more resistant to oil I can refer you to an actual test. Go to the wagon way.com website, and search for an article called Battery Cables. They tested welding cable vs battery cable and the results show that the most common insulation on welding cable (EPDM) is much less resistant to oil than pvc. Granted welding cable is more flexible and that is important for welding, but not for hooking up a battery. And fine strands of wire will corrode quicker unless you solder or use adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. Which you should always do anyway. The abyc standards for boats do not allow welding cable to be used for batteries, and boats are a lot tougher environment than our jeeps. If you want to get the best cables, get tinned marine cable it is more expensive but very flexible also.