PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs?????

alwaysxj
07-11-2011, 09:35 PM
So every since I got my jeep I have had a problem with plugs not lasting more then 2 months.:confused: I drive a lot and I mean a lot. I work durning the day and then at night taking hungry people pizza :driving: I drive about 500 or more miles a week. :popcorn:
Now before you say, oh do a tune up cap, wires, and all new plugs. I have a lovley 2001 with the coil rail.:mad0090: since getting the jeep I have replaced the coil rail once a couple boots on the rail and a lot of plugs. I have tried Bosch, champion platinum just the cheap'o champion's and still nothing.

Now I have noticed that it seems to almost always be cylinder 3 missfire:out:.

Any body know what to do or what plugs to run?:pray:

Mudderoy
07-12-2011, 12:06 AM
So every since I got my jeep I have had a problem with plugs not lasting more then 2 months.:confused: I drive a lot and I mean a lot. I work durning the day and then at night taking hungry people pizza :driving: I drive about 500 or more miles a week. :popcorn:
Now before you say, oh do a tune up cap, wires, and all new plugs. I have a lovley 2001 with the coil rail.:mad0090: since getting the jeep I have replaced the coil rail once a couple boots on the rail and a lot of plugs. I have tried Bosch, champion platinum just the cheap'o champion's and still nothing.

Now I have noticed that it seems to almost always be cylinder 3 missfire:out:.

Any body know what to do or what plugs to run?:pray:

Wasn't there a heat soak problem with the 2000 and 2001? I think you need a heat shield for that mis-fire.

My OEM spark plugs lasted about 80k miles, literally!

JENSSEN
07-12-2011, 01:08 AM
|can you post pics of the failed parts? That may help determine the issue

cpttuna
08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
try ngk-V power
ZFR5N(ng3459) from advanced auto or NAPA. There were $2.49 ea at NAPA and they were out. I got O'reilly auto parts to match the price. Gap at >035

gary63
08-09-2011, 08:48 AM
I had the some problem the heat around the #3 injictor heats up the fuel and
vaporis it so there is no or very little fuel to burn and you get a missfire or check ign. light.get some of the insaltion the you can put around your exsost
and put it under the injector butnot on top that way it will refleked the heat and air can get around the top to help cool it.whyle you are at it do all it help
my mpg and alittle better respons.

pikapp504
08-09-2011, 08:57 AM
NGK plugs, .035 gap, and the #3 misfire is a "known issue" due to heat soak. There is a TSB out on it that talks about a heat insulator that can be wrapped around the #3 injector.

cpttuna
08-09-2011, 04:43 PM
My one 01 cherokee will get heat soak. If I stop somewhere and have to shut the engine off, I open the hood first before I shut the engine off. This works most of the time. I leave the hood up for about 2 minutes.

alwaysxj
08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
thanks guys I will have to get the NGK plugs. I run them in all my sleds and they seem to be a good plug. we will see I guess.
so I am not really understanding the heat soak thing? what do I need to do wrap my exhaust or boot #3 on the coil rail?

jeepxj95
08-09-2011, 11:40 PM
is this issue know on the older 4.0's? my #2 spark plug always looks hot and the rest look fine. worse in the summer then the winter but still looks hot. that reminds me....

pikapp504
08-10-2011, 08:35 AM
thanks guys I will have to get the NGK plugs. I run them in all my sleds and they seem to be a good plug. we will see I guess.
so I am not really understanding the heat soak thing? what do I need to do wrap my exhaust or boot #3 on the coil rail?

You're actually wrapping the injector itself. It's a little insulated blanket/tube that's split down the middle (length wise). You wrap the injector and it insulates it from the heat of the headers.

bluedragon436
08-10-2011, 08:50 AM
I was thinking of wrapping my headers (when I get one to install) as well as my plugs the next time I swap out a set.. never hurts to get the best performance out of any part you can... not to mention keeping under hood temps down!!