PDA

View Full Version : NP231 Front output seal replacement

steph74
07-08-2011, 10:54 AM
OK everybody,
I had a slow leak of ATF (which in my manual transmission jeep can only mean from the Transfer case).
It started being bad and fluids forming a puddle under the car, so I decided to tackle this new small project and play....

1/ from what I read, I can remove the front output yoke and replace the seal with TC in place.

2/ removed the front driveshaft yesterday evening.... from here, 2 possible problems... I did mark the alignements as recommended... but when I wiped of the shaft, guess what, I wipped of the marks as well. ...

3/I am at the point to remove the yoke nut.... I battled 5 minutes last night and it was dark and started raining a bit so I gave up....

How do you do that ???? it just spins.... if I put the TC in 4x4, it moves the whole car.... am I missing a trick or something ? I tried to place a screwdriver to prevent the thing from spinning but it doesn;t work...
I do not have a big channel pliers... maybe that would be the solution ?

Anyway... hope I can get to it this week end ;)

Mudderoy
07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
OK everybody,
I had a slow leak of ATF (which in my manual transmission jeep can only mean from the Transfer case).
It started being bad and fluids forming a puddle under the car, so I decided to tackle this new small project and play....

1/ from what I read, I can remove the front output yoke and replace the seal with TC in place.

2/ removed the front driveshaft yesterday evening.... from here, 2 possible problems... I did mark the alignements as recommended... but when I wiped of the shaft, guess what, I wipped of the marks as well. ...

3/I am at the point to remove the yoke nut.... I battled 5 minutes last night and it was dark and started raining a bit so I gave up....

How do you do that ???? it just spins.... if I put the TC in 4x4, it moves the whole car.... am I missing a trick or something ? I tried to place a screwdriver to prevent the thing from spinning but it doesn;t work...
I do not have a big channel pliers... maybe that would be the solution ?

Anyway... hope I can get to it this week end ;)

1/2" Impact air tool.

I'm trying to think of another way...

xj4life2
07-08-2011, 11:03 AM
1/2" Impact air tool.

I'm trying to think of another way...

Short of having a gorrilla hang on the rear driveshaft..... The 1/2 air gun is the way to go.

4.3LXJ
07-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Steph

Put the tranny in reverse, tcase in low range and then if necessary get your sweetheart to donate a right foot on the brake. Then use a cheater bar on the ratchet if it will take it, or use your right foot on the handle.

steph74
07-08-2011, 11:46 AM
thanks I was thinking of puting it in gear but was afraid it would make damage...
Looks like impact wrench is as useful as a BFG... maybe should consider that on my christmas list lol...

xj4life2
07-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Steph

Put the tranny in reverse, tcase in low range and then if necessary get your sweetheart to donate a right foot on the brake. Then use a cheater bar on the ratchet if it will take it, or use your right foot on the handle.

I agree it can be done this way but would never recomend it as it dangerous!!!

4.3LXJ
07-08-2011, 02:15 PM
thanks I was thinking of puting it in gear but was afraid it would make damage...
Looks like impact wrench is as useful as a BFG... maybe should consider that on my christmas list lol...

I can run mine off my kick butt OBA. Something else for your Christmas list:pray:

steph74
07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
well I have saved that cool write up from a local guy on a different forum ;) I have not decided yet whether to sacrifice A/C or not lol so this is not a priority now but will happen int he future.

Mark, I am curious what is dangerous (I am all for safety and would like to know).... it is rolling the vehicle off the stand or something that is the risk or is it just dangerous because you can damage something ?

alwaysxj
07-09-2011, 03:51 PM
steph bring it over to my house tomorrow to use my compressor and I can help you. I have never done this and would like to know how. send me a text if you want to do that.

steph74
07-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks everybody for the advices....

So it is not that difficult in the end ;)

got the bolt without even forcing too much ....

a little bit of brain teasing for the seal, as I had a seal puller tool but don;t know how to use it lol and in the end got away with a screw driver and hammer ...

Put the new seal in using the big 36mm socket I have to drive it in... put everything back, said a little prayer, put the lubricant in...

Dumb me, I read 3.3 quarts and had a nice surprise in the middle of the second quart bottle when everything started pouring out... lesson learned from previous mistakes, I was wearing goggles and had some rags under by me.... it really is 3.3 pints (about 1.5 quarts for the imperial system units challenged people like me)

Drove a bit without the front drive shaft , just to make sure it was not leaking before I put it in back.....

changed the front U-Joint on the drive shaft while I was at it....

Put everything back.....

Done

I just have to grease everything and go down there in a couple of days to make sure things are still tight
So far, it took care of some noises \o/ but some new ones are appearing...

Mudderoy
07-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks everybody for the advices....

So it is not that difficult in the end ;)

got the bolt without even forcing too much ....

a little bit of brain teasing for the seal, as I had a seal puller tool but don;t know how to use it lol and in the end got away with a screw driver and hammer ...

Put the new seal in using the big 36mm socket I have to drive it in... put everything back, said a little prayer, put the lubricant in...

Dumb me, I read 3.3 quarts and had a nice surprise in the middle of the second quart bottle when everything started pouring out... lesson learned from previous mistakes, I was wearing goggles and had some rags under by me.... it really is 3.3 pints (about 1.5 quarts for the imperial system units challenged people like me)

Drove a bit without the front drive shaft , just to make sure it was not leaking before I put it in back.....

changed the front U-Joint on the drive shaft while I was at it....

Put everything back.....

Done

I just have to grease everything and go down there in a couple of days to make sure things are still tight
So far, it took care of some noises \o/ but some new ones are appearing...

Did you put any ATF on the outside of the seal?

steph74
07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
sure did.... well I would have not done it actually but the seal jumped from my fingers while I was putting it and landed in the container were the drained ATF was....

Mudderoy
07-11-2011, 11:36 AM
sure did.... well I would have not done it actually but the seal jumped from my fingers while I was putting it and landed in the container were the drained ATF was....

I'm not saying it right.... ummmm RTV gasket maker is what I meant. :bang:

steph74
07-11-2011, 11:38 AM
nope, no gasket maker.... no need to... actually I think you shouldn't put any there...

I am wondering if you understood what part I changed.... it is the seal for the front output yoke....

Mudderoy
07-11-2011, 11:46 AM
nope, no gasket maker.... no need to... actually I think you shouldn't put any there...

I am wondering if you understood what part I changed.... it is the seal for the front output yoke....

Well I actually had my changed a while back. I was concerned about getting that nut off there to get the yoke out of the way. The mechanic used the 1/2 impact to remove the nut, took out the old seal. He then put RTV around the metal edge of the seal and then put it back in the transfer case.

I have a leak in my rear transfer case seal and I didn't put RTV on it. I've had this leak on multiple seals and I've never done anything with the seal other than put Dex III on the rubber part and then hammer it into place.

steph74
07-11-2011, 11:50 AM
hummmm..... I guess time will tell if it is leaking.... there was none and I didn;t put any (didn;t even cross my mind)
it is a very tight seal, and I am not sure how you can set it with and extra layer of compound (even a very thin one....)

Mudderoy
07-11-2011, 11:51 AM
hummmm..... I guess time will tell if it is leaking.... there was none and I didn;t put any (didn;t even cross my mind)
it is a very tight seal, and I am not sure how you can set it with and extra layer of compound (even a very thin one....)

Hey it didn't cross my mind either! Not until I saw the guy I was paying to replace it do it. I'm only asking because I was hopeful that replacing the rear seal and using RTV this time would solve my leaking transfer case issue. :(

steph74
07-11-2011, 11:53 AM
this is interesting, hopefully someone with experience will chime in ;)

Mudderoy
07-11-2011, 11:57 AM
You can remove the rear driveshaft, use a seal puller of carefully use a screwdriver to remove the seal. Install with a seal driver or appropriate sized socket, pipe etc to drive it in. Apply a bit of RTV around the outside metal of seal where it mates to tailcone.

:link: (http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/question-about-replacing-transfer-case-seal-47789/)

This one doesn't say anything about using anything but the new seal...

:link: (http://www.ehow.com/how_6667100_replace-transfer-case-rear-seal.html)

Driving in the new cap is just as interesting. You are
going to need something about 2.5" in diameter, with a hole
through the middle for the tailshaft to clear. I ended up
using a heavy duty plastic cap off a jug. Some people
recommend putting RTV around the outside (metal race) of the
seal. I didn't do it because nobody told me till after I did
it. What I did do was put a healthe coating of ATF around
the outside to help it slide in and seal. I slowly drove
it in being really careful about keeping it on straight.
Drive it down flush, replace the rear driveshaft, and refill
the t-case if you aren't doing the front seal. I also
greased the splines of the tailshaft in the transfer case

:link: (http://www.bc4x4.com/faqs/yj.cfm?cat=6&faqid=91)

steph74
07-11-2011, 12:01 PM
yes.... maybe the rear seal is different than the front one....

4.3LXJ
07-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I have replaced a number of seals over the years and never used anything behind them. They are supposed to be tight enough not to leak. But things would change with mineral based oil. That stuff will leak past anything.