PDA

View Full Version : Trac Bar

valleyxj
07-07-2011, 05:38 PM
This just in, had the Jeep at a garage today because of a handful of grease found on the garage floor after returning from a fishing trip this past weekend. They said the front end is ok, and that the ball joints and trac bar were a little loose, but no in need of replacement at this point.

When I asked them about the grease, they said there was plenty, regardless of the fact that the trac bar bootie is burst (which is were all that grease came from), and that there were no worries about driving the vehicle as is.

Now I'm new to a lot of this, but it seems that you would want a tight seal around any lubricated parts. Thoughts?

Mudderoy
07-07-2011, 08:43 PM
This just in, had the Jeep at a garage today because of a handful of grease found on the garage floor after returning from a fishing trip this past weekend. They said the front end is ok, and that the ball joints and trac bar were a little loose, but no in need of replacement at this point.

When I asked them about the grease, they said there was plenty, regardless of the fact that the trac bar bootie is burst (which is were all that grease came from), and that there were no worries about driving the vehicle as is.

Now I'm new to a lot of this, but it seems that you would want a tight seal around any lubricated parts. Thoughts?

Hmmm I'm going to agree with you, but lets see what some others have to say. I would think that over time and weather the grease is going to get less and less and rust, wear will set in. I doubt it would fail over night, but over a series of months?

4.3LXJ
07-07-2011, 09:20 PM
The track bar is the one tie rod end that usually has a tight boot. However mine got destroyed and I bought another boot for it. I didn't have any problems until I beat the crap out of it and the mount. Most tie rods for years did not have sealed boots. I would just get another boot and call it good.

saar
07-08-2011, 09:42 AM
You should have a rubber boot around each ball joint.
It should be filled with grease.
Saar.

valleyxj
07-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Picked up Jeep and the mechanics said that busted boots were common and will not affect the component. So, is that boot just a resorvoir for excess grease, or is the mechanic pulling my leg by saying it's no big deal. At any rate I plan on replacing the trac bar, ball joints, and pittman arm after I save up enough loot.

DETOURS
07-08-2011, 03:13 PM
It's common & not a big deal, just keep it greased.

If doing water crossings or mudding, one should consider greasing after the trip/event anywho.....keep the spooooge fresh with 2 new pumps!! :spongebob:

valleyxj
07-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks Detours, I usuallly pump a few strokes of grease twice a month anyway, si I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again.