PDA

View Full Version : Good replacement front speakers?

Mudderoy
07-06-2011, 09:38 AM
I have the Infinity system in my 98, and now a second in the 99. I blew out the front speakers years ago, and replaced them with some aftermarket Infinity speakers maybe 3 years ago.

While working on the Power Door Module I found out that the passenger's side front speaker is completely dead. I knew it was blown but I didn't know it died completely.

I'm sure I've asked this before, but without trashing the ENTIRE Infinity system what would be good speakers to put in the front doors? I'm not going to do Infinity again. I just did it this last time in hopes I could get some of the BASS that the original speakers had.

I didn't but for $50 they certainly sounded better than no speakers.

4.3LXJ
07-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Tony, I used Pioneer 6.5" two way speakers in my doors. They don't fit inside the panels but will screw on over the outside of the door panel. Good sound out of them. I also used some 6X9 three way Pioneers in the rear, but that takes some work. But I do get enough bass to bump a little if needed.

Mudderoy
07-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Tony, I used Pioneer 6.5" two way speakers in my doors. They don't fit inside the panels but will screw on over the outside of the door panel. Good sound out of them. I also used some 6X9 three way Pioneers in the rear, but that takes some work. But I do get enough bass to bump a little if needed.

Hey thanks, but I want to stick with the stock diameter. I should have mentioned that. Seems like it is 5", but I'll have to double chekc.

bluedragon436
07-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Well I can say that in my 98, as well as in my friends 01, we installed Kenwood 6.5" 3-ways up front and in the rear sound bar.. and we had not issues being able to screw them in, as they have the holes in the mounting ring to be able to screw into the smaller stock size mounting holes... so if I were you, I would look for a good 6.5" w/ different mounting options, which most of them usually do now days.. One recommendation I would have is take a look at Pep Boys, I know they one in Dover, has some pretty decent sounding Kicker 6.5" speakers.. I would have purchased them for my 98 had they had two sets in stock at the time, but since I needed to replace all four of my speakers in my XJ when I purchased it, I didn't really want to wait till they got another set in stock..

4x4Dalton
07-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Im not real sure of all the brands out there. But I used a set of Jensen home stereo speakers in my front doors they fit perfect once ya take them out of the boxes. And they give some good sound. See even my stereo is on a budget lol!!

saar
07-10-2011, 07:01 AM
I don't remeber the size in the Jeep, but Pionneer 2 or 3 ways are my favorite choise.
I used them in all of my cars.

Metlic53
07-10-2011, 07:44 AM
i have 4 infinity reference series 5 1/4 in the front and back, i just use two 12'' subs for my bass :D I could fit 6x9's in the front and back if i wanted too though

Mudderoy
07-10-2011, 01:27 PM
i have 4 infinity reference series 5 1/4 in the front and back, i just use two 12'' subs for my bass :D I could fit 6x9's in the front and back if i wanted too though

Two sets of Infinity dead, so I'm going with another brand this go round. I just like to hear some decent sounds, I don't need, or want, a $1000 system.

I was told to check into the Memphis Audio speakers. 5 1/4 is the stock Jeep size (I believe).

bluedragon436
07-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah 5 1/4 would be the stock size.. and I would love to run all Memphis Audio.. to include my one sub... but I am happy with what I have sound wise now.. Just need to do a bit more tweeking to my settings!!

default83
07-11-2011, 12:41 PM
honestly, if your not going to amp them, just go and pick a set of speakers out. it really wont sound that different between brands.

Mudderoy
07-11-2011, 12:49 PM
honestly, if your not going to amp them, just go and pick a set of speakers out. it really wont sound that different between brands.

lol but I keep blowing out the front speakers... :bang:

default83
07-11-2011, 12:52 PM
lol but I keep blowing out the front speakers... :bang:

How? just curious, ive never blown speakers, subs yes, even amped.

something must not be right.

Mudderoy
07-11-2011, 12:58 PM
How? just curious, ive never blown speakers, subs yes, even amped.

something must not be right.

Well I've been told the problem is the Infinity speakers. I've had the factory set and a replacement set in there. Rear speakers are fine, fronts keep going out. So I figure I need a different brand.

I have the Infinity sound system, so there is a amp, 100 watt I believe.

default83
07-11-2011, 01:05 PM
ahh, i see. thanks for clearing it up.

well if thats the case, go pick up a set of Alpine Type s speakers, they are fairly cheap and sound really good. like 80 bucks or something?

i have kenwoods in my truck, they sound alright. but ive always been a fan of the alpines.

Metlic53
07-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Two sets of Infinity dead, so I'm going with another brand this go round. I just like to hear some decent sounds, I don't need, or want, a $1000 system.

I was told to check into the Memphis Audio speakers. 5 1/4 is the stock Jeep size (I believe).

my system was completely free, the jeep was stolen from me 5 months after i bought it, i got it back and got alot of insurance money, bought the system and front and rear bumpers with winch and gave the rest to my dad to buy a truck. ive had my infinitys for 4 years now and i use a rockford fosgate amp, i scream them all the time, haven't blowed out yet. You can blow speakers if you dont have enough power running to them or you try to turn the bass notes up on them and try and listen to them louder than they can go. infinity 5 1/4 aren't made for much if any bass at all, i have a thing installed that doesn't let any bass go to the infinitys. And yes 5 1/4 is the stock jeep size, i was simply implying i could fit 6x9's if i wanted too :D

default83
07-11-2011, 01:48 PM
my system was completely free, the jeep was stolen from me 5 months after i bought it, i got it back and got alot of insurance money, bought the system and front and rear bumpers with winch and gave the rest to my dad to buy a truck. ive had my infinitys for 4 years now and i use a rockford fosgate amp, i scream them all the time, haven't blowed out yet. You can blow speakers if you dont have enough power running to them or you try to turn the bass notes up on them and try and listen to them louder than they can go. infinity 5 1/4 aren't made for much if any bass at all, i have a thing installed that doesn't let any bass go to the infinitys. And yes 5 1/4 is the stock jeep size, i was simply implying i could fit 6x9's if i wanted too :D

in theory you are correct. but it shouldnt matter, the speaker should handle bass, its not being pushed that hard with a factory amp.

either the 2 channels on the amp going to the front speakers is messed up, or those speakers he had just sucked. i mean i guess it could be under powering or too much power, but i seriously doubt it with that set up.

Metlic53
07-11-2011, 01:54 PM
in theory you are correct. but it shouldnt matter, the speaker should handle bass, its not being pushed that hard with a factory amp.

either the 2 channels on the amp going to the front speakers is messed up, or those speakers he had just sucked. i mean i guess it could be under powering or too much power, but i seriously doubt it with that set up.

maybe the old amp needs to be replaced, 12 years old is pretty old. who knows, there is a big number of possibilities. Maybe the heat soak has something to do with it, speakers dont like heat! HAHA jk

pyrotech
09-04-2011, 05:37 AM
I came across a pair of planet audio 5.125" in the wrecking yard I knew from the size of the magnets these might work and hell I gave $30.00 for the speakers and a box of other misc. parts,now I have a planet audio sub enclosure w/4 8" subs as well as the door units I am running a pyle 1000 watt 4 ch for the subs and 2 rockford fosgate punch 500 amps for the front as well as the roof pod in back I can't remember what those are I have crystal clear clarity from the mid to highs and enough bass to blow some massive bubbles fom the weather stripping when I spray soap on each to locate my stupid whistelling noise.

LizardRunner
09-06-2011, 01:47 PM
don't forget impedence, you can blow speakers left and right if the impedence isn't matched up correctly.