PDA

View Full Version : starter no start

Thomass
07-04-2011, 04:41 AM
Good day to you all,

being away for some time, and left my XJ on a parking spot somewhere remote.
this morning i parked my buss and want to start the XJ to go home.
the starter engine did not want to turn over, so i thought it might be an empty battery, and created an jumpstart from the 12 volt circuit of the buss.
stil did not work, to make the story short, i replaced this morning the brushes, they where gone complete. but now with the new brushes, it hardly cranks the engine, and the voltage gauge gives me around 9 volts (just by turning the key to contact (not starting)
i do not have any diagram with me, they are still in the rig of my girlfriend and she is in Scandinavia.
Any of you have a digital diagram on hand to mail me???
so i can try to figure and solve this problem...
I know it must be somewhere on the forum, but i,m not able to find it...

Thomass

oderdene
07-04-2011, 09:28 AM
try here http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech.html

Thomass
07-04-2011, 04:41 PM
thank you, that's the one.
i just couldn't remember..

Thomass
07-07-2011, 04:29 AM
the most of the wired fuses are gone, so i have to replace them.
But the are really stock in the black rubber fittings (or is it moulded)
the other problem is that after making lots of phone calls, there is no one who is selling them.
i can order them in the :usa: but then i have to wait a few weeks before arriving. so next time one is blown, i have to wait an other few weeks again.

i was thinking of replacing them with normal fuses like i find in the fuse box.

any of you know why i should not or just do. and if i should do, with how much amps i should replace them??? :hmmmm2:

Thomass

bluedragon436
07-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Well I know most people that have the issues you are having, replace the fuse links, with circuit breaker style units, so that when they do pop again, you just reset them and continue on your way..

4.3LXJ
07-07-2011, 09:05 AM
I replaced mine with circuit breakers. These will self reset after time and not leave you stranded if you can find the cause of a short. Here is a pic of what I did. I relocated the small panel I made to the rear of the alternator on my engine which is not the same as yours. But I ended up with much less wire involved this way.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_0694.jpg

Thomass
07-08-2011, 02:10 AM
Yes :drool: ... That looks really great...
But as i quote you,

I replaced mine with circuit breakers. These will self reset after time
Please explain the part "These will self reset after time", what did you use fore those???
And yes, it looks tidy with less wires

Thank you for the idea

Thomass

4.3LXJ
07-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Thomas

These are a common automotive circuit breaker available here at almost any auto parts store and cone in 10 - 50 A in that size. Larger ones are available. They work like a house circuit breaker except that they reset themselves. So if you had a short, they would trip, reset, then trip again until you find the short. But they will also allow you to get where you are going eventually. They are so much better than fusible links that will leave you stranded.