PDA

View Full Version : clutch fan removal

jeepxj95
06-30-2011, 12:35 AM
does anyone know or have a like to taking off a clutch fan? the more detailed the better. thanks

Mudderoy
06-30-2011, 06:10 AM
does anyone know or have a like to taking off a clutch fan? the more detailed the better. thanks

On my 1998 the proper way would be to remove the radiator then remove the clutch, then repeat the steps backwards.

What I DO is just SLOWLY, so slowly, loosen the nuts one by one and then remove the bolts holding the shroud.

Trying to remember, I may even unbolt the fan from the clutch, then I just remove everything one by one. I know this, I didn't remove the radiator to replace my fan clutch.

Yes you CAN damage your radiator, so be careful.

xj4life2
06-30-2011, 11:54 AM
If you remove the shroud bolts youshould be able to work the shroud over the fan so its out of the way. I actually cut my shroud in half so I can remove just the top half, this must be done with the shroud completely out of the veh. And you must have a way to connect the two half together when done .... Just an Idea

jeepxj95
06-30-2011, 11:17 PM
do i have to unbolt it from the pulley???

cpttuna
08-08-2011, 04:52 PM
take fan shroud off. I believe you have 2 screws to remove. there are 4 13mm bolts holding the fan clutch. I did the fan replacement on 4 jeeps. after #1, I cut a 13mm wrench in half and welded about an 8 inch extension to each side. it made removal and instalation much easier. I used a rag to hold a fan blade to break each nut loose. I do recommend the fan clutch upgrade(fan clutch from a 98 ZJ w/o max cooling from NAPA.the part # is 272310. ($41.14 in July 2010) It is bigger than the stock cherokee fan.

jeepxj95
08-08-2011, 11:38 PM
yes it is and works great ( even better with new trans and motor mounts lol )

pikapp504
09-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Changing the fan clutch is pretty straight forward...just be prepared for some scraped up knuckles/forearms. I upgraded to the ZJ fan clutch as well, and the only downside is that my MPG went down about 2-3mpg. Why you may ask? More load on the motor. To remove/replace the fan clutch:

1) Remove the fan shroud (2 8mm bolts I think...may be smaller).
2) Loosen the 2 10mm bolts that secure the radiator to the upper radiator support. This will allow you to move the radiator slightly forward giving you an added 1/8" of space to work (don't laugh, that little bit will come in handy).
3) Loosen/remove the 4 13mm bolts that hold the assembly to the accessory drive pulley
4) Gently/carefully finagle the fan and clutch assembly out of the engine bay (this is where the moving of the radiator will come in handy). Once you have it out, put the 4 13mm nuts back onto the pulley. This will a) keep them where they should be and b) keep the pulley/belt situated properly.
5) Remove the 4 bolts (I forgot the size...13mm or 14mm I think) that hold the fan to the fan clutch housing.
6) Reverse steps to re-install the assembly. When putting the assembly back into the vehicle, be VERY CAREFUL not to ding a hole in the radiator. The fitment will be VERY close, but if you get the angle JUST RIGHT, it'll go in. Also, when tightening the 4 13mm bolts back down on the pulley, LEAVE THE BELT ROUTED TO THE PULLEY. The tension of the belt on the pulley will help you tighten all 4 nuts back down securely.

Hope this help! I've done this 2x now and it takes about 30-45 minutes (assuming you don't hit a major snag or break something). Just take your time, go slow, and you'll be good to go.

bluedragon436
09-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I have been thinking about doing this mod to my XJ shortly after I get home..

jeepxj95
09-07-2011, 10:18 PM
i didnt loose any gas mileage. maybe tony can comment on this.

Mudderoy
09-07-2011, 10:20 PM
i didnt loose any gas mileage. maybe tony can comment on this.

Nor did I at least not any measurable amount.

jeepxj95
09-08-2011, 11:04 PM
anyone else that did this mod?

oderdene
09-16-2011, 09:25 AM
I did this, and replaced injectors, air filter, spark plug wire, spark plugs etc, mpg is still same ~9mpg :(

Firemanray
09-16-2011, 05:13 PM
I did the upgrade and must have had weak motor mounts. I went wheeling last week end and pushed the clutch into the radiator. Other than that problem it works great!! As far as removing the fan I removed the bolts from the shroud, then removed the bolts holding the fan assembly to the pulley. The fan and shroud can then be lifted out as one unit.
Here's a video of the carnage happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx-fEj-KUdU&feature=player_embedded

jeepxj95
09-19-2011, 12:16 AM
works great for me too. i did my motor mounts and tranny mount. still going in to the radiator. maybe u should try poly mounts??? ive got all rubber mounts when i replaced mine. :( i knew i shouldve tryed a cheep dual e-fan setup....

dagr8tim
10-04-2011, 07:11 PM
If you remove the shroud bolts youshould be able to work the shroud over the fan so its out of the way. I actually cut my shroud in half so I can remove just the top half, this must be done with the shroud completely out of the veh. And you must have a way to connect the two half together when done .... Just an Idea

The PO of mine cut the lower portion just inside the 2 tabs. Unbolt the top and raise it up. At first I thought it was factory till I saw other people's.

Converted96XJ
10-04-2011, 11:11 PM
I did my clutch as well, but didnt know about the ZJ upgrade at the time, actually didnt know about it until i came to this site.. lol. But as others said, remove shroud, then the 4 bolts holding on the fan to get to the clutch. Not a hard job just tight quarters to work in.

LizardRunner
10-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Or the alternative, take out fan clutch, install 2nd electric fan with thermostat control and wire in a switch so you can have it on all the time. saves you hp that the belt robs you of but you do need the shroud back in place.

702XJCruiser
10-06-2011, 05:33 PM
I've only got one thing to say. Wear some thick leather work gloves when dealing with that fan because one slip and your hand can/will get butchered.

LizardRunner
10-06-2011, 06:54 PM
I've only got one thing to say. Wear some thick leather work gloves when dealing with that fan because one slip and your hand can/will get butchered.

I agree with you there. I did a fan on my gto and almost lost a digit to a slip, grab the blade and presto, trip to the docs for 20 stitches.

cpttuna
10-06-2011, 09:26 PM
after the first one I did, I made a couple of long handles and welded them to a 13mm wrench I cut in half. made operations a lot easier.

dagr8tim
10-06-2011, 09:30 PM
I didn't have any real issues removing the mechanical fan from my 98 XJ.

KH96XJ
10-06-2011, 09:40 PM
I did the ZJ clutch in mine also. wasn't hard, but as others have stated you will get your hands scraped up.

dagr8tim
10-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I guess I must have been very very lucky on my 98.

Carves
10-06-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm a lazy sod ... and get the apprentice to do mine ...

:D

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/EngB03b.jpg

jeepxj95
10-07-2011, 12:46 AM
update last week i took off my zj fan and put on a good used stock fan from the 90. i was tired of it hitting my fan. i think it rubs becase of the deer accident from when the PO hit the deer. so eventally i will figure out a fan set up either the zj fan again or a good electric set up. maybe after i put a new fender on and a new grill support. but who knows how long it will be be4 i will do that. after that im thinking of getting it painted :)

jeepxj95
10-07-2011, 12:48 AM
but i did love the clutch fan and will recomend it to every xj owner i know but i will tell them my story as a word of cation

jeepxj95
10-07-2011, 12:49 AM
will post this in the gc fan up grade trend i started also