PDA

View Full Version : 1990 lift

Ross Clover
06-27-2011, 10:37 PM
i have a lift 9 inch total lift from a couple of kits bolted to a 1995 or was bolted to it its now ready to go in 1990 is there any frame mods done between those years everything lines up and measures correctly both are 4 door models i am swapping full suspension and diffs and trailing arm etc. will transfer case fit as well even though they are different models they would have the same bellhousing spacer between the trans right please help with any bad news or is it going to be re and re ha ha

BlueXJ
06-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Should fit fine but you have to make sure you don't try to mix and match stuff. Spline counts are different so the entire trans/TC/DS and diffs have to be swapped.

Lift is the easy part, as it fits just like in the newer XJ just unbolt and re-bolt.

4.3LXJ
06-27-2011, 11:04 PM
As far as I know, the frames are the same. I think there was a tranny mount change somewhere around there, maybe in 96 though. It should not be a problem.

Ross Clover
07-08-2011, 11:53 PM
i was going to swap both diffs total suspension tranny bmount ant tranfer case hoping it will fit ?? does the tranny really need to be swapped as well

Ross Clover
07-09-2011, 01:23 AM
i have a 1990 with the renix style i believe it had thae pressure tank rad setup i am going to put a 9 inch lift and diffs and transfer case onto it will the transfercase from a 1995 fit on the tranny or will the spline count be off should i re and re tranny as well and will the tranny hook up and run electrically or are they different and not compatible if tranny must be changed i geuss the torque converter should be the match for the tranny due to spline count as well speedo should be as easy as swapping gears and sending unit with the gears and cable drive right???

4.3LXJ
07-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Lots of questions there.

First, the easy part. If you are using a New Process tcase, just change the speedo gear and you will be good to go.

As to the output spline, which tcase are you using? Is this an XJ case you are using or are you wanting to swap in something else? The place to start on that is by calling Advance Adapters. They will identify which splines you have and you can go from there.

4.3LXJ
07-09-2011, 09:16 AM
It will fit

Ross Clover
07-09-2011, 09:45 AM
i am using a transfer case from a 1995 cherokee going into my 1990 cherokee but i think i have a 21 spline early model in jeep now and my 95 case has 23 i think is the output shaft on the tranny the same for all years or does it mnatch the output on tranfer case is all the electrical hookups the same or do i have to swap complete wiring and computer

4.3LXJ
07-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Not sure on the tranny. But I think you are right on the tcase. If you want to do it you can swap input gears on the tcase. You could upgrade the chain also if you wanted. Sounds like that might be a good option for what you have in mind.

Ross Clover
07-09-2011, 10:25 AM
will the input gears fit from tranfer case to tranfer case or do i need an adapter kit???

4.3LXJ
07-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Yes, I have done it. But you do have to disassemble the entire case to do it. It all comes apart from the back.

BlueXJ
07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Tranny controllers are different for different years too. The Renix had a seperate tranny controller and later years had a combo ECU and TCU, that would be my big concern.

As for the spline count you can swap later stuff (23 spline) into an earlier case. I have done it, easy job on a bench and as 4.3 says it would benefit with a HD chain while in there.

bigjim350
07-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Well if the tranny controlers are different you could use one of these cool shifters.
http://radesignsproducts.com/14Shiftcontrollers.aspx

jeepxj95
07-15-2011, 11:37 PM
im thinkin about the baja ll shifter since its all ready wired with switchs cuz the tcm died last summer.

BlueXJ
07-16-2011, 07:46 AM
Well if the tranny controlers are different you could use one of these cool shifters.
http://radesignsproducts.com/14Shiftcontrollers.aspx

im thinkin about the baja ll shifter since its all ready wired with switchs cuz the tcm died last summer.

These would be a type of fix but not for a DD IMHO.

jeepxj95
07-16-2011, 11:18 PM
well i do with switchs. that would make it easer for some else to drive.... like my wife who wont learn how.