PDA

View Full Version : 4WD shifter Stiff...

XJ4IV
06-26-2011, 01:13 AM
so I noiced the other day when I took my jeeps interior apart that there is a spring on the 4wd lever that helps it got back into 2wd i guess.
here is a pic of where it is located
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m590/XJ4IV/IMG420-1.jpg
what im wondering is this
WHY does my jeep shifter take so much effort to get into 4wd and pretty much always has but the other day I shifted my buddies 97 into 4wd and it went it just like the PRNDL shifter would... TOTALLY smooth
Does that spring make it difficult or does that spring really not do much in that apsect???
I DO know that there is a plunger spring in the T-Case that puts pressure on the shifter inside... I had to remove it one night to get back into 2wd
but I was told that it was VERY unsafe to leave like that for a DD cause it could just pop into 4wd when going over a big bump or something.
Whats ya'lls input?

4.3LXJ
06-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Scott, the spring moves the shifter from side to side so it fits into the notches for each position. The reason it is stiff going into 4WD is that there is a synchromesh ring on the high range shifter that has to take the driveline and differential up to speed. That is a lot of iron to get going so it is a large synchro and can act a little stiff until things get up to speed.

BlueXJ
06-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Scott, the spring moves the shifter from side to side so it fits into the notches for each position. The reason it is stiff going into 4WD is that there is a synchromesh ring on the high range shifter that has to take the driveline and differential up to speed. That is a lot of iron to get going so it is a large synchro and can act a little stiff until things get up to speed.

4.3 is correct and I have put a shifter together w/o that spring and it rattles pretty bad. So I think it has two purposes, the second is as an anti-rattle device.

XJ4IV
06-26-2011, 05:38 PM
hmmmmmm so why does my friend xj shift totally seamless?

4.3LXJ
06-26-2011, 05:41 PM
hmmmmmm so why does my friend xj shift totally seamless?

I don't know about your friends XJ, but if you have no CAD, then the driveline is turning the same speed and then the shift collar would go right through the synchro.

XJ4IV
06-27-2011, 01:37 AM
I don't know about your friends XJ, but if you have no CAD, then the driveline is turning the same speed and then the shift collar would go right through the synchro.

Whats CAD???

bigjim350
06-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Whats CAD???

Central axle diconnect....IE early D30

XJ4IV
06-27-2011, 01:44 AM
Oh his is a 97... either way its whatever though Im just glad mine WILL shift... it used to be REALLY finicky and on occasion would not release 4lo.... I had to drive home one night from wheelin about 12 miles in 4lo