PDA

View Full Version : TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) adjustment

jeepxj95
06-25-2011, 01:27 AM
how do adjust a tps on a 90 xj?

Mudderoy
06-26-2011, 01:11 PM
how do adjust a tps on a 90 xj?

This was an answer in response for a 1989.

http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/1/H/42197099.gif

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

Find the Four-way TPS connector and insert the black lead of the voltmeter into the back side of terminal (D).
Insert the red lead of the voltmeter into the back side of terminal (A). Make sure that the throttle plate is completely closed against the throttle stop. Note the voltage reading of the voltmeter as it is connected across these two terminals, this reading is the input voltage.

Remove the red lead of the voltmeter from the back side of terminal (A) and reinstall it into the back side of terminal (B). Make sure that the throttle plate is completely closed against the throttle stop. Note the voltage reading of the voltmeter as it is connected across terminals (B) and (D), this reading is the output voltage.
Divide the output voltage reading by the input voltage reading. The ratio should be between .825 and .835 (.830 optimum).

If the voltage ratio is not within this range, adjustments can be made using the two mounting screws. To make large adjustments, loosen the bottom mounting screw and pivot the sensor. To make small adjustments, loosen the top mounting screw and pivot the sensor.

Disconnect the voltmeter, and tighten the mounting screws securely.

:link: (http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl232i.htm)

BlueXJ
06-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Muddy has the correct procedure. I have used that for several Renix Jeeps I have owned and the two I currently own.

jeepxj95
06-26-2011, 11:51 PM
my 90 has been running rich so im getting a new o2 and seeing if the tps is in spec. after i get the head gasket done. hope it clears up.

jeepxj95
06-26-2011, 11:59 PM
oh and the tps is about 2 years old. still have the old one.

zjrog
07-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks for asking that question and thanks for posting the procedure. I have to do this on my 90 as well. It is a bit tough to start at times and stalls occasionally. I will also be swapping the CPS sensor.

steph74
07-06-2011, 10:34 AM
don't overlook the MAP sensor vacuum line, make sure it is connected good in the TB.... because that makes a difference for sure.

907_jeep
11-16-2011, 07:15 PM
is there just the 1 tube from tb to map sensor?? i ask becuase i got a open hole above the tube from tb 2 map sensor

Mudderoy
11-20-2011, 08:22 AM
is there just the 1 tube from tb to map sensor?? i ask becuase i got a open hole above the tube from tb 2 map sensor

Only one on mine, but I have a 98. Anyone else know????

arnoldschris
03-05-2012, 06:07 PM
This was an answer in response for a 1989.

http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/1/H/42197099.gif

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

Find the Four-way TPS connector and insert the black lead of the voltmeter into the back side of terminal (D).
Insert the red lead of the voltmeter into the back side of terminal (A). Make sure that the throttle plate is completely closed against the throttle stop. Note the voltage reading of the voltmeter as it is connected across these two terminals, this reading is the input voltage.

Remove the red lead of the voltmeter from the back side of terminal (A) and reinstall it into the back side of terminal (B). Make sure that the throttle plate is completely closed against the throttle stop. Note the voltage reading of the voltmeter as it is connected across terminals (B) and (D), this reading is the output voltage.
Divide the output voltage reading by the input voltage reading. The ratio should be between .825 and .835 (.830 optimum).

If the voltage ratio is not within this range, adjustments can be made using the two mounting screws. To make large adjustments, loosen the bottom mounting screw and pivot the sensor. To make small adjustments, loosen the top mounting screw and pivot the sensor.

Disconnect the voltmeter, and tighten the mounting screws securely.

:link: (http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl232i.htm)

this is very helpful. actually been looking for some guide regarding the tps adjustment. now i will not send my car for the auto repair (http://www.automd.com/) shops.

BlueXJ
03-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Most auto repair shops throw parts at the pre-OBD Jeeps and never fix the problem. You have to be able to diagnose the problem and nearly everyone rely s upon a computer to do that for them now a days.

ParadiseXJ
03-06-2012, 09:30 PM

There are indeed two holes on the TB at the MAP connection, but one is a keeper hole...in other words it's there to make sure you put the hose in the right way. It does not go IN to the TB all the way. It's a dummy hole. Stick a paper clip in both holes...one goes thru, the other stops after about 1/2".