PDA

View Full Version : front end noise again......

jeepxj95
06-25-2011, 01:18 AM
in march i had a noise that sounded like bad ball joints. it turned out to be sway bar end links thank god. well gess what the noise is back. i do disconnect the end likes for wheeling (to cheap for real disconnects). what should i check first?

cantab27
06-25-2011, 01:20 AM
best thing to do is get a buddy to turn steering wheel while you are under it,,,that way you may see what it may be...what kind of noise

jeepxj95
06-25-2011, 01:23 AM
a light clunk after turning a courner. or uneven part of the road. i can feel it in the floor.

jeepxj95
06-25-2011, 01:25 AM
oh and the ball joints where said to be good in march

cantab27
06-25-2011, 01:28 AM
yep get under it make sure alls tight...

jeepxj95
06-25-2011, 01:30 AM
will check tomorrow. could it be the trac bar?

cantab27
06-25-2011, 01:32 AM
could be many things,,,,post up what ya find,,others will chip in of what they may think it is...good luck dude

4.3LXJ
06-25-2011, 03:35 PM
If you feel in in the floor, chances are it is the trac bar. I have the same problem right now and will be replacing mine.

alwaysxj
06-25-2011, 04:45 PM
I get this from time to time. my track bar mount on the frame will come a little loose and it will clunk when I turn or hit a bump. I take the bolt out and tread lock it and works for another year or so. check the track bar or the rod ends on the tie rod.

bigjim350
06-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Mine does this too, but its because of my flex joints on my control arms rocking back and forth. So unless you have those, I am completely useless to you. :D

jeepxj95
06-26-2011, 01:07 AM
how do i check the trac bar? was at the gas station 2day and pushed up on the front of the heep and seen a small gap between the sway bar and the bushing. will take end links off and see if it goes away..... hopefully

jccatt
06-26-2011, 02:22 AM
Sounds like a stuffed joint somewhere. I always check all the rubber seals and I grease mine before I go wheeling. Use marine grease so it handles the water.

saar
06-26-2011, 05:55 AM
I had something like that from my trac bar, tighting it solved the problem.
You may want to check the other bushings (control arms ones) they may cause noises too.
Saar.

jeepxj95
10-10-2011, 12:12 AM
i finally figured out my noise. had a real loud pop sound today. so i had my brother turn the wheel and i could see the joint move on the frame for the trac bar. my ?? is if i fill it with greese will it help my trac bar last for now untill chrismas when my wife is buying me a 4.5 inch witch im getting a new trac bar.

prerunner1982
10-10-2011, 01:20 PM
That could be a dangerous situation....

I drove on a popping trackbar for about 6 months before I finally got around to changing it. Sometimes it would pop really bad and other times not hardly at all. It really bothered me there towards the end to even be driving on it.

Mudderoy
10-10-2011, 01:54 PM
That could be a dangerous situation....

I drove on a popping trackbar for about 6 months before I finally got around to changing it. Sometimes it would pop really bad and other times not hardly at all. It really bothered me there towards the end to even be driving on it.

Yeah you don't want to lose a track bar.

Wrangler that lost track bar driving down a flat road at speed...

http://youtu.be/lWOoQtWO5L8

xj4life2
10-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Do Not Let that go !!! New bushings , tighten it ,get a good used one from a JY, whatever it takes but fix it. I've driven one without a trak bar...... I'll walk next time and trust me I hate walking !!!!!

prerunner1982
10-10-2011, 02:36 PM
i finally figured out my noise. had a real loud pop sound today. so i had my brother turn the wheel and i could see the joint move on the frame for the trac bar. my ?? is if i fill it with greese will it help my trac bar last for now untill chrismas when my wife is buying me a 4.5 inch witch im getting a new trac bar.

Do you also have death wobble by chance? Or at least wobble when you hit a bump?

I started having wobble issues when hitting bumps, especially if it was not both front tires at the same time. Replacing the track bar has taken care of those issues.

BlueXJ
10-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Check the control arm bushings, if worn will make the noise you described.

prcjeep
10-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Your issue saounds just like mine... for example, if im on the freeway and following a turn, sometimes a small bump will make the track bar pop, and this requires me to thurn the wheel slightly further to maintain the same turn....
I havent tried diagnosing my issue, just pretty sure its my trackbar mount on the frame side.

jeepxj95
10-12-2011, 01:43 AM
Do you also have death wobble by chance? Or at least wobble when you hit a bump?

I started having wobble issues when hitting bumps, especially if it was not both front tires at the same time. Replacing the track bar has taken care of those issues.

i think i had a little last week put cant really tell with all the play in the wheel.

jeepxj95
10-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Do Not Let that go !!! New bushings , tighten it ,get a good used one from a JY, whatever it takes but fix it. I've driven one without a trak bar...... I'll walk next time and trust me I hate walking !!!!!

can i replace the ball joiunt??? or do i have to buy a whole new trac bar??? and i have the factory trac bar.

prerunner1982
10-12-2011, 06:36 PM
The ball joints are not on the trackbar... and you have to replace the whole trackbar.. at least the factory type as it is a solid piece. There are aftermarket versions that have an adjustable tie rod end that is replaceable.

Ball joints are on the front axle, they are what the front spindle mounts too so that you tires can turn left/right. They are replaceable and sometimes rebuildable (aftermarket types).

jeepxj95
10-15-2011, 01:30 AM
you have to replace the whole trackbar.. at least the factory type as it is a solid piece. There are aftermarket versions that have an adjustable tie rod end that is replaceable.

the tie rod end is what i ment.... thanks for the answer.

jeepxj95
10-15-2011, 01:34 AM
does any one know if the trac bar off of a 93 yj will fit the xj???

if so a guy in the jeep club has his from when he took it off to lift it. yeah i know why put a track bar on a leaf sprung jeep. the things they come up with... lol