PDA

View Full Version : Dana 44 or Dana 30? (Now wait until you read...)

Mudderoy
06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Ok so would it be better to...

A) Alloy USA 30/30 Spline Dana 30 Axles with ARB Air Locker for 92-06 Jeep® Cherokee XJ, Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 3.73 & Numerically Higher Gear Ratio
For $1744.99 (Still have to have the 4.56 gear moved to the locker) :link: (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16120_5009.htm)

B) Get a G2 built Dana 44 ready to bolt into a XJ with ARB locker, G2 30 spline axle shafts, 4.56 gears. Customer use hubs,knuckles and brakes from Dana 30
$2,837.99 :link: (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-and-Differentials/Front-Axle-Assembly-by-G2.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=475&t_pt=100714&t_pl=101965&t_pn=G%2f2D44TJ-FA456)

bigjim350
06-23-2011, 08:54 PM
If I had to chose I would go with B. But if I wanted to go that route I would just look for a D44 with E-locker out of a TJ Rubicon and save a shit ton of money.

alwaysxj
06-23-2011, 09:25 PM
^^^^ I agree with Jim. plus that is a lot of money. This guy on one of my local sites the other day had a certificate for a set some chromo shafts. He won at one of the local rock crawling comps and he was a toyota guy so it did him no good. only wanted $100 for it. I called him and a guy had called him like two minutes before me and was coming to get it.... That would of been sweet.

XJ4IV
06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
I pondered this a few months back... Chromolly shafts are pretty damn stout but there again you have the smaller Ujoint to worry about I guess... its a catch 22 I suppose!
I went 60's :thumbsup:

xj4life2
06-24-2011, 02:47 PM
There is always C , Call Mark @Payless 4 Wheel Drive and ask for a quote. But in this case I'll cut out the call, to your door ready to go just like that one for $2540.00. No tax!
Just in case you as wonderin'

LizardRunner
06-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Hmmm, guess I know who to call if I get to needing that route now.:D

Mudderoy
06-24-2011, 02:57 PM
There is always C , Call Mark @Payless 4 Wheel Drive and ask for a quote. But in this case I'll cut out the call, to your door ready to go just like that one for $2540.00. No tax!
Just in case you as wonderin'

I think they have shipping figured into theirs, as it is free shipping.

4.3LXJ
06-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Tony, to me it all depends on how it is going to be used. In your situation where your wheeling seems to be in mud, the D30 is very suitable. Where the D30 falls a little short is in hard core rocks where there is so much torque on the drive train it actually splits the case. But there are some upgrades, like a very heavy duty cover to help compensate for that. The Rubi axles need beefing up too, so if you got one of those, you would still need to sleeve it and brace the Cs. Also, you can cryo treat the D30 gears for 40% more strength for about $45.

Mudderoy
06-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Tony, to me it all depends on how it is going to be used. In your situation where your wheeling seems to be in mud, the D30 is very suitable. Where the D30 falls a little short is in hard core rocks where there is so much torque on the drive train it actually splits the case. But there are some upgrades, like a very heavy duty cover to help compensate for that. The Rubi axles need beefing up too, so if you got one of those, you would still need to sleeve it and brace the Cs. Also, you can cryo treat the D30 gears for 40% more strength for about $45.

Wow that's a huge increase in strength for very little money!

Yeah I didn't mention that right now I'm looking at 33" tires, but if I was to go to the D44 I probably would go with 35" tires, assuming it would be more able to handle them.

Also the primary reason for my build is getting the hell out of dodge, so it may be mud, it may be rocks, it may be trees (telephone polls).

4.3LXJ
06-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Wow that's a huge increase in strength for very little money!

Yeah I didn't mention that right now I'm looking at 33" tires, but if I was to go to the D44 I probably would go with 35" tires, assuming it would be more able to handle them.

Also the primary reason for my build is getting the hell out of dodge, so it may be mud, it may be rocks, it may be trees (telephone polls).

When I set up my new axles, they will have cryotreated gears also, with cryo treated alloy axles. The axles in theory by my math would be 25 - 40% stronger than standard 35 spline axles. So if axle strength is the only goal, then there are options for the astute. Check the Longfield super axle web site. This guy pioneered the cryo treating of axle shafts and does it too for $45 per axle. Cheap insurance.

saar
06-25-2011, 12:31 AM
I think I would go with the 44.
If money is not an issue (~1K more is not cheap) I think the 44 would be better for off roading.
Saar.

xjrev10
06-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Run a open 30 with 35s. You'll be fine. I ran stock shafts and brought spares. It's not like it's hard to change a shaft..glutten for punishment if you lock it and run 35s. Your power steering will hate you too!!

Mudderoy
06-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Run a open 30 with 35s. You'll be fine. I ran stock shafts and brought spares. It's not like it's hard to change a shaft..glutten for punishment if you lock it and run 35s. Your power steering will hate you too!!

Yep locked with 35's but I'd probably have a different steering box.

Xtreme XJ
07-03-2011, 01:53 AM
My thought is take a wide path with G2... I will admit to not actually using their stuff... I'll pay more elsewhere...
I have had them lie to me about other manufacturers... I'm a little leary of the whole group...
They're part of that bigger machine Trans America... Pro Crap... Smittybilt (poor old Smitty :headshake:) G-2 now R.E. and many more...
Some have great dealings some don't...

Mudderoy... I'm sure you can build the 30 to be as strong... truss & reinforce it... upgrade your axles to your liking... I like gears made in the USA... with the D-30 there's more ground clearance... obviously it's your cash just thought I'd offer a different angle...

Good Luck !!

Curt