PDA

View Full Version : What would fix this problem? Steering box or Pump?

greeno
06-23-2011, 06:59 PM
I've been having the small and puzzling problem with the steering on my xj ,
when she has been sitting for a day or more the power steering will only work turning to the right if you turn it to the left it like there no power steer at all :bang:
If you start to rock it left to right it then comes good and is fine from there on so is this a box or pump :confused: big time on this

hookedonxjs
06-23-2011, 07:31 PM
It sounds like low power steering fluid...but I'm sure you have already checked it...the pumps going to work the same no matter what direction you turn wheel...my uneducated guess would be the box!!!:mel:hope that helps...my mantra has always been change everything related...IE box, pump, lines so you don't end up stranded!!!

TeXJ
06-23-2011, 07:47 PM
can you tell if it is binding? Maybe drag link or something is binding, or your TRE's, thinking out loud here.

But have a friend turn it when it is doing this and see if you see or hear anything out of the normal.

Other than that I dont know! lol

let us know if ya find out.

LizardRunner
06-23-2011, 08:27 PM
first do check the fluid level, next you'll need a buddy to turn the wheel while you check the pitman arm and tie rod ends, if that all checks out, time to suspect the steering box.

4.3LXJ
06-24-2011, 07:26 PM
I vote steering box. There is a valve in it that allows fluid under pressure to the cylinder in it. It sounds like it is sticking since you can free it up with a little sawing back and forth.

greeno
06-24-2011, 10:43 PM
thanks guys had a good look at it today and all the steering arms are ok and it doesn't look like it binding anywhere
Q. has anyone pulled there steering box apart to get to the valve

4.3LXJ
06-24-2011, 10:47 PM
thanks guys had a good look at it today and all the steering arms are ok and it doesn't look like it binding anywhere
Q. has anyone pulled there steering box apart to get to the valve

I haven't, but I understand that to get it back together right is best left to a professional. Just get another box. You can upgrade while you are at it with a V8 Durango box. It has a larger piston in it and will turn the wheels easier.

greeno
06-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Thanks guys got a new box for her will let you know if it works