PDA

View Full Version : Champion 3 Row Alum. Radiator?

cyclone70
06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Anyone here own one.
Wondering how they perform?
thanks

Mudderoy
06-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Anyone here own one.
Wondering how they perform?
thanks

Me too.

cyclone70
06-22-2011, 09:57 AM
I talked to a company that sells them.
They said they don't show them on their web site because they can't
keep them in stock.Right now the Champion web site shows them out of
stock too.

Mudderoy
06-22-2011, 10:04 AM
I talked to a company that sells them.
They said they don't show them on their web site because they can't
keep them in stock.Right now the Champion web site shows them out of
stock too.

At $205 I can see why!!!!! This is about $40 more than I paid for my CSF 3 core.

cyclone70
06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
I agree even @ $250 it's still a great buy if it is a decent quality piece.
They look to be hand welded rather than crimped and epoxied.

BlueXJ
06-22-2011, 12:12 PM
I ordered one to replace my CSF 3 row copper core radiator. I will move my copper 3 row to the MJ and will report to xjtalk if the aluminum one runs my Jeep any cooler.
BTW my Renix model was $249.93 shipped.

forster
06-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Installing one in a 2000 XJ will report back

LizardRunner
06-22-2011, 09:09 PM
All aluminum, tig welded, metal fittings, no plastic or epoxy in any of the jeep models.
Here is a list of features from their website.
•All aluminum tanks, cores, brackets and welds, absolutely no epoxy;
•Higher density core: cooling rows are spaced 3/8" apart: giving you 25% more rows than any others in our price range and 35% more rows than OEM copper;
•14-16 cooling fins per inch giving you approximately 1,500 more cooling fins than other aluminum radiators and approximately 3,000 more than OEM copper radiators;
•Lighter weight;
I really like the all aluminum features, like a billet filler neck and full length of the core tube (means each core layer drains into the engine not just the back one). The way these are made, setting up for AN fittings and SS hose would be a snap. I'd race with these.
I went through a couple of sites where they were talking about these being used in high hp muscle cars, no one had a bad thing to say. I look forward to reports from use in our jeeps. just may have to get one of these for da lizard cause the price is definately there and I'm willing to back order.:D

jeepxj95
06-22-2011, 10:01 PM
i looked and cant find one for a 95. could only find renix

Mudderoy
06-23-2011, 01:11 AM
i looked and cant find one for a 95. could only find renix

For 91-01 Jeep Cherokee

:link: (http://www.championradiators.com/page/419843582)

jeepxj95
06-23-2011, 01:52 AM
i looked earlier guess i missed it. good price found what i want for a radiator

cyclone70
06-23-2011, 05:16 AM
OK,I'm a newbie here.
What does RENIX mean?
I keep seeing it over and over.

BlueXJ
06-23-2011, 07:22 AM
OK,I'm a newbie here.
What does RENIX mean?
I keep seeing it over and over.

In the early days of computer controlled engines Jeep had a controlling interest in Renault of France. They utilized their facilities along with Bendix to come up with a computer (ECU) to use in the Cherokee. This was the computer in the 87-90 XJs. The two names were merged to describe the new computer thus RENault and bendIX became RENIX.
Hope that helps cyclone.

cyclone70
06-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Thanks,never knew that even though I had an '88 XJ

ike
06-27-2011, 09:07 PM
found one here
Amazon.com: 3 Row All Aluminum Replacement Radiator for the Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Wagoneer, Jeep Comanche, and Jeep J-Series - Manufactured by Champion Cooling Systems, Part Number: 78: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xiW4KMBEL.@@AMEPARAM@@51xiW4KMBEL
if anyone still needs one to try out.
be sure and use the xjTalk link to amazon before you buy.

forster
07-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Well the champion did not get installed: Fan shroud would require cutting the tabs, Transmission line connectors to not match vs stock, could not get stock mounting brackets to line up and it leaks in middle think it got rough handled in shipping. They stated will give me refund and return shipping label, waiting now.

Mudderoy
07-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Well the champion did not get installed: Fan shroud would require cutting the tabs, Transmission line connectors to not match vs stock, could not get stock mounting brackets to line up and it leaks in middle think it got rough handled in shipping. They stated will give me refund and return shipping label, waiting now.

Well that sucks, I know how much work it is just to get to that point of installation. Refund doesn't cover all your hard work.

BlueXJ
07-02-2011, 09:42 PM

Well that sucks, I know how much work it is just to get to that point of installation. Refund doesn't cover all your hard work.

That is disappointing as mine came yesterday and it was on my schedule to install on Tuesday after the activities of the 4th.

Mudderoy
07-02-2011, 09:44 PM
That is disappointing as mine came yesterday and it was on my schedule to install on Tuesday after the activities of the 4th.

Have you looked to see if the fittings etc... are different on yours? Let us know? I'm hoping he just got one for the wrong year.

cyclone70
07-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Have you looked to see if the fittings etc... are different on yours? Let us know? I'm hoping he just got one for the wrong year.

Ya ,what Roy said.

Mudderoy
07-06-2011, 11:56 AM

I called them today. The transmission lines have to be connected with a flexible hose. You just hook it up between the hard line and the brass adapter that comes with the radiator.

He said that the other reported issue is the fill neck is closer to the radiator than the stock unit. He said about 1/2 closer. He's sent 20 out and 1 has come back, so it doesn't seem to be a major issue.

Personally I'd rather have flexible hose and a hose clamp on it because that would save me 15 minutes of fighting with that OEM connection, that always seems to leak on me until I put 200 lbs of torque on that brass nut!

They've been out of stock for a month and a half. He's going to call me when he gets some in. I only asked about the 91-01 radiators.

Mudderoy
07-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Here is a good post to read on NAXJA.org about the Champion 3 row all aluminum radiator. :link: (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1063223&highlight=champion)

forster
07-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Seems transmission hookup common problem, my box did not come with any adapters.

Installed a CSF radiator today everything installed and lined up perfectly, now just waiting on refund from champion sending back radiator to champion tomorrow.

Mudderoy
07-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Seems transmission hookup common problem, my box did not come with any adapters.

Installed a CSF radiator today everything installed and lined up perfectly, now just waiting on refund from champion sending back radiator to champion tomorrow.

I read in that NAXJA post that some people reported running hot problems with the CSF when they didn't have that problem previously.

forster
07-06-2011, 04:49 PM
100 degrees here today zero issues running tiny bit below 210 mark with AC on while waiting at bank drive thru line; on highway been staying around 200/195 mark. Only mods are CSF 2core radiator and ZJ fan clutch.

Replaced stock because of leaking issue, prior to above mods would reach 225 range with AC on. Time will tell, will report back if anything changes.

Mudderoy
07-06-2011, 04:52 PM
100 degrees here today zero issues running tiny bit below 210 mark with AC on while waiting at bank drive thru line; on highway been staying around 200/195 mark. Only mods are CSF 2core radiator and ZJ fan clutch.

Replaced stock because of leaking issue, prior to above mods would reach 225 range with AC on. Time will tell, will report back if anything changes.

Yeah I believe it was the 3 core that "some" people were reporting problems with. That's what I have.

gary63
07-06-2011, 10:33 PM
some times if the radiator is to big it will over heat becouse the air moves to slowly and heats up and puts the heat back into the back row of the radiator
so you lose you cooling and get less air flow.

bluedragon436
07-07-2011, 05:57 AM
I've been thinking about upgrading to an aluminum radiator, as well as the ZJ fan clutch.. I'm just debating if I want to wait till my radiator goes out, or do it sooner.. Guess I'll have to see if I can work out the funds to purchase this radiator after my deployment... then I guess that will make the decision..

Chex_Mex
05-20-2012, 07:17 PM
i have a champion 3-row in my xj, great cooling, only 1 issue arrose this past weekend, the bottom tranny line elbow was touching some stock bracketry, ended up making it's way through the aluminum elbow & i sprung a leak, fixing that this week though. top tranny line had to be cut (to remove the nut that came with the champion radiator, & add the old oem nut, then flare it out again)

here's my write-up on it

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cooling-system-upgrade-69207/

the cap is close to the top radiator bracket though. not a major issue